PDA

View Full Version : Question about new working version

jgorrell
04-20-2003, 05:36 PM
How did you guys manage to get around having to use a keysniffer??

Not that it matters, but im shocked! BIG Grats to the Devs and all who helped out! :)

arantius
04-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Imagine that someone answers this thread.
"Hey Sony, we broke your encryption, and here I am to tell you exactly how I did it, so you can know exactly what to change to fix your encryption so I can't get around it."

Or in other words, just be happy =)

jgorrell
04-20-2003, 09:20 PM
Being open source, do you honestly think Sony wont be able to figure it out? Hah.

PriestOfDiscord
04-20-2003, 09:31 PM
umm. no. that is why you have to download that libeq.a file. the decryption piece is isolated from the codebase and is not open source.

Amadeus
04-21-2003, 02:01 AM
I actually love the thought....

Boss: Son of a Bitch! How did they manage to break our encryption this time! You said it would be impossible to break now!

Developer: Uhmmm...well.... I honestly don't know

...HAR HAR ... mvern+crew > all

Epsilon
04-21-2003, 05:12 AM
hehe good example amadeus..thats right devs whip em on the fingers..and make it hurt good

Elmo
04-21-2003, 07:42 AM
Couldn't they decompile libeq.a and figure out how it works? Then again, if they could, so could you...

Ratt
04-21-2003, 08:54 AM
Honestly, at this point, the need for a closed source libEQ.a is almost non-existant, and will probably be integrated into the OpenSource SEQ tree.

We may all bash the devs at SOE, but they aren't stupid, and can easily disassemble the libEQ.a.

It's not to thwart them, but those that were going to make WinSEQ. Well, it's kinda late for that now :)

So.. yea... anyway.

fgay trader
04-21-2003, 03:54 PM
I bet they did it with a brute force attack :)

OgerSEQ
04-22-2003, 08:52 AM
Sounds to me like they found a weak point in the encryption/datastream. I remember the days of brute force and it took alot longer to decode that it does now. I remember having to kill a couple things/summon a pet to assist the brute force decode and it still took 2-3 mins. This new seq decodes before i finish downloading the spawn info. Worried me at first, but I know better than to look a gift horse in the mouth :D