PDA

View Full Version : ima n00b

Nickeman
04-22-2003, 11:14 AM
anyone wanna guess whats wrong??
i cant unpack showeq, the file "dosent seem" to be a tarfile therefor its not possi for "ME" to unpack it. btw, im runnig mandrake 9.0

Rdy for flames now 8)

Ratt
04-22-2003, 01:17 PM
It doesn't "seem" to be a tar file because it's not a tar file...

Nickeman
04-23-2003, 12:47 AM
but, how to unpack it then??
i wrote this line, tar -xzvf showeq-4.3.7.tar.gz
and it said taht the file dosent seem to be an tar file. sooo, what comand should i write??

LordCrush
04-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Nickeman
tar -xzvf showeq-4.3.7.tar.gz

You have seen that little .gz ? its gziped

Just a hint ;)

Nickeman
04-23-2003, 01:59 AM
heh, im still a linux n00b, what u meen that .gz meens???

grimjack
04-23-2003, 04:33 AM
The .gz extention means that it has been compressed by gzip(similar to pkzip in the dos world). Just do a man gzip to see the syntax for using it. Also if you use some versions of tar the -z option will ungzip the file before untaring it.

edit:
I see that you are using the -z option on your tar. Either your tar does not support the -z option (It will tell you it doesn't understand -z), the -z is broke on your version of tar, or you have a bad file.

Thanks
Grimjack

S_B_R
04-23-2003, 08:04 AM
GNU tar supports many compression/decompression systems. I would find it hard to believe Mandrake isn't using GNU tar.

Although I've never used Mandrake.... ;)

Try ungzip'ing the file first, if that works the just do:
tar xvf showeq-4.3.7.tarIf ungzip or tar fails redownload the file.

Red-One
04-23-2003, 01:29 PM
I just recently moved from mandrake 8.0, So I know for a fact that it does support the -z switch. Besides, instead of going throught the trouble of downloading the tarball, just get the CVS. It is a lot easier to download and maintain.

cd ~
export CVSROOT=:pserver:[email protected] :/cvsroot/seq
cvs co showeq
cd showeq

-Red