PDA

View Full Version : (Bored + Old Drive == Gentoo Stage 1) ? USE Flags Known : Not known

Alfred
04-22-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm bored and taking the plunge....

I've got Unix experience, a few years actually, but just about zero with linux (other than SEQ) and I am hoping someone has written down what USE flags that you must have when starting from a stage one tar ball to make a happy SEQ machine.

I did a quick search for gentoo & USE and then several other things but didn't notice anything useful.

Any advice or flames are greatly appreciated. :)

PS: this should take a couple of years to compile with my PII 300mhz hehe ;)

Alfred
04-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Hmm ok, I have to have the following:

QT
X
x86

Don't know if I need:

truetype
libg++ (or any of these...)

Hmm still looking through the list....

I can't remember if the Pentium II has the mmx extensions. Anyone remember (yeah to lazy to search for it)?

Dedpoet
04-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Not exactly sure what you're asking. Is "USE Flags Known: Not known" an error that you are getting? At what point are you getting the error?

For ShowEQ, you will in fact need truetype. You will also need lib-png, lib-jpg, cvs, and a couple other things. Try building Seq and it should be fairly obvious from the error messages what packages you're missing. If it isn't, post again and we should be able to help you out. I don't have access to my seq box this week to look up what I have installed, but the error messages should help you.

Yueh
04-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Since I have no idea what your familiarity with Gentoo is I'll throw out the obvious, take a look at /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc. I'm pretty sure the USE defaults are good for SEQ.

PowerFailPhone
04-23-2003, 10:19 AM
These are the use flags i used:
X
gtk
alsa
dvd
tiff
mmx
sse
qt
jpeg
mpeg
pnp
pcmcia
samba
zlib

afterthis,

need to emerge
x
qt
tcpdump
cvs

that took care of everything.

Alfred
04-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by PowerFailPhone
These are the use flags i used:
X
gtk
alsa
dvd
tiff
mmx
sse
qt
jpeg
mpeg
pnp
pcmcia
samba
zlib

afterthis,

need to emerge
x
qt
tcpdump
cvs

that took care of everything.

Bless You!!!!

/bow

There are serveral that personally I don't need, like samba, pcmcia, sse, dvd...

Thanks, I was looking for a sanity check and this helps.

Alfred
04-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Dedpoet
Not exactly sure what you're asking. Is "USE Flags Known: Not known" an error that you are getting? At what point are you getting the error?

For ShowEQ, you will in fact need truetype. You will also need lib-png, lib-jpg, cvs, and a couple other things. Try building Seq and it should be fairly obvious from the error messages what packages you're missing. If it isn't, post again and we should be able to help you out. I don't have access to my seq box this week to look up what I have installed, but the error messages should help you.

I was just being a dork and setting up an invalid trenary statement. Hey i was bored. ;)

Dedpoet
04-23-2003, 02:25 PM
/bonk. I completely forgot that base Gentoo doesn't include libpcap. I don't think you actually need tcpdump to install Seq, but you do need libpcap, and since tcpdump depends on libpcap, that would install it for you. Having tcpdump never hurt anyone though anyway :-)

cbreaker
04-23-2003, 03:26 PM
emerge libpcap

Worked for me~

Pretty easy thing to do for a gentoo box for seq, is just:

emerge kde

Once that's done you should have everything needed to build seq besides libEQ.a and libpcap (see above.)

Rhonwyn
04-23-2003, 03:34 PM
Ugh, I wouldn't emerge kde.

All you really need after the initial install is,

emerge qt tcpdump

then go grab showeq and libEQ.a.

As someone just said, you don't really need tcpdump, just libpcap, but tcpdump is good to have in general.

As far as USE flags, I just have "X gtk -gnome -kde qt alsa". You could probably do a -alsa instead if you didn't want sound.

PowerFailPhone
04-23-2003, 04:12 PM
heh emerge kde takes me well over 24 hours, where as emerge tcpdump/libpcap takes like 15 mins.

cbreaker
04-23-2003, 05:26 PM
kde takes care of the qt parts and all associated parts that go with it.

I must be one of the small handful of people here that uses my linux boxes for more then seq. My linux boxes are all pretty fast.

Alfred
04-24-2003, 06:04 AM
Good info, thanks.

Well I have myself in a real pickle. I used the gentoo instruction page and at the very beginning it mentions that you may not have to do anything about eth0 as it might have been configured automatically. Well, it seemed mine was found it and I could access the internet from the boot cd. I then figured it would take care of it during install just fine. Wrong! lol

So now after all is said and done I do not have an ethernet driver for this step:

21.Final Network Configuration

Add the names of any modules that are necessary for the proper
functioning of your system to /etc/modules.autoload file (you
can also add any options you need to the same line.) When
Gentoo Linux boots, these modules will be automatically loaded.
Of particular importance is your ethernet card module, if you
happened to compile it as a module:

Code listing 21.1: /etc/modules.autoload

This is assuming that you are using a 3com card.
Check /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net for your card.
3c59x

I did look at this step and tried to figure out what to do but it wasn't obvious.

Code listing 21.2: Boot time Network Configuration

# nano -w /etc/conf.d/net
# rc-update add net.eth0 default

I have a line:

iface_eth0="192.168.0.2 broadcast 192.168.0.255 netmask 255.255.255.0"

Where do I find the configuration that actually points to my ethernet card driver?

During bootup it simply says:

eth0: unknown interface: No such device

I'm looking online at the gentoo site to figure out how to add the ethernet driver by hand etc.

:/

Rhonwyn
04-24-2003, 11:28 AM
You need to add the module for your ethernet card into your kernel. To find out which card you have, if you don't remember, do a:

cat /proc/pci | grep Ethernet

/proc/pci contains all of the plug and play devices on pci that it could find, even if it doesn't have modules for it. Then go to /usr/src/linux, do a make menuconfig and go to the network devices section. Make sure you add the ethernet driver to the kernel.

Alfred
04-24-2003, 01:58 PM
Ok, I've now done that. But I notice when I do an :

ifconfig -a

I get the local loopback only
lo Link encap:Local Loopback

So.. either it didn't really add it to the kernel after I did make menuconfig and the recompile of the kernel (per the online instructions) or I have another step I'm missing. Once again I'm pooring over the online docs to see if I can find it.

Thanks for any info.

Alfred
04-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Solved.

I forgot to copy the new kernel to the boot area. :/

Now I can continue with the next step. Configuring X. Weee

fryfrog
04-24-2003, 09:56 PM
personally, i prefer "emerge fluxbox" so you get some X with-out all the kruft that is kde or gnome :)

Alfred
04-25-2003, 05:42 AM
My god ermerge xfree took forever.

Ok now for a really stupid question, do I really need X windows (server etc) for seq? If i've installed QT (and sadly KDE and gnome which I know I only need one of them) and whatever else I find I'll eventually need, do I need the overhead of Xfree?

I'm debating on making this a pure SEQ box without the GUI frontend hog. Would that really help my poor old PII 300mhz run SEQ faster? :)

Thanks for your info.

Dedpoet
04-25-2003, 07:02 AM
Yes, you must have X and a window manager to run Seq. If you get an ASCII version of Seq written, let me know though, I'm interested ;-)

Like fryfrog said, fluxbox is a very small window manager that will run Seq nicely for you. It also makes you a l33t haX0r or something to run it. I'm sure the purists will give me hell, but I actually do run KDE (my box is fast though). Sometimes the "fluff" is good, but the light weight managers definitely have their place as well.

fryfrog
04-25-2003, 03:24 PM
technically, you should be able to send the showeq stuff to another computer via display forwarding. you could view it on another linux box or a windows box with some X server software. i believe you would need the X libs on the seq box, but you wouldn't actually need to run X.

fluxbox does make you cool, it gets you all the girls too :)

Alfred
04-25-2003, 05:17 PM
Man the fun just doesn't end.

I've got an X installed as I can run the plain jane version with an cursor in the middle but I cannot get my USB mouse to be recognized.

I've installed different options within the kernel and it recoginizes the USB hardware and that something is there but mentions during boot that the device is not being claimed by an Active driver.

Some basic information :

PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX4: chipset revision 1
PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
usb.c: registered new driver hub
uhci.c: USB Universal Host Controller Interface driver v1.1
PCI: Found IRQ 9 for device 00:07.2
PCI: Sharing IRQ 9 with 00:10.0
uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1020, IRQ 9
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
hub.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x45e/0x1e) is not claimed by an active driver.

later during the boot I see that the new hotplug that I had emerged and added failed :

* Starting USB and PCI hotplugging...
* hotplug script /etc/hotplug/pci.rc failed at start

* loading key mappings...

I know there are some log files I can look at... I also turned on USB debugging and I have to find that log file too.

I know this isn't a linux help forum but if you've seen this problem with an USB intel mouse optical connected to an old 440LX chipset DELL PC... let me know.

Thanks.

Dedpoet
04-25-2003, 10:04 PM
Check out the Gentoo Desktop Installation Guide (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml). There is actually a specific section on setting up a USB mouse. It's a very well written doc too.

Edit: Sorry, it looks like you may have actually already read that doc, but I wanted to leave the post here in case it helps someone else.

Alfred
04-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks. :)

Yes I had been studying that document but it turned out to be a combination of problems that were not covered in that doc.

I finally got USB working and the latest NVidia drivers. I decided to whimp out and grab KDE, so I'm doing the huge emerge of that now.