PDA

View Full Version : Debian 3.0 + SEQ Issues.. o_O

Kalie
04-23-2003, 11:37 PM
Eh, I'm comin back to the Linux world after 8 months of low usage so things are kinda alien to me now, so bare with me. :p

I installed Debian 3.0 on my i-Opener the other day and followed the scattered and sparse instructions Casey and others had posted on what packages to install and stuff. Grabbed the .deb files from Casey's Trifocus.net site, snagged the latest CVS, and decided to get started.

-[snip]-
deimos:/usr/src/showeq# make -f Makefile.dist
Adding libtool support......................................make[1]: *** [no-backup] Error 127
-[snip]-

I'm guessing this has something to do with having the wrong packages installed or failing to install something I needed. :/ Since I'm not farmiliar with Debian yet (or at least apt-get) i'm not really sure where to go from here.

Any threads ya'll can direct me to or tips ya'l can give? :x

----[edit]--

Well go figure. I read a dozen and a half posts and forgot that I had to install libtool. :x I thought it was a part of the make package or something. Don't I feel like a tool! =p

Looks to be compiling fine... Hope there aren't any other stupid, basic packages I left out...

tigerknight
04-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Yeah, you're lacking packages.

pretty much you're going to want to install all the packages on the requirements list, or at least make sure they're up to date.

libtool
autoconf
automake

remember - apt-get is your friend.

Kalie
04-23-2003, 11:59 PM
apt-get is a beautiful thing. :)

On another note, what version of QT is the best to use? I've heard CPU utilization is lower with 2.3.2 or something, is this true? I've got to conserve as many cycles as I can on this nappy lil Winchip2 180 box...

cavemanbob
04-24-2003, 12:09 AM
Wow a winchip box, I haven't seen one of those in ages. :) Burned my last one out a while ago....

Kalie
04-24-2003, 12:14 AM
Yeh, had an original Winchip in it but I had a Winchip 2-A lying around and just popped it in one day. Still waiting on some soldering skill before I get down and dirty with modifying the board to work with my K6-2 50 chip, but we'll see.

In the mean time it's all I've got in there. :x Handy lil box though.

tigerknight
04-24-2003, 12:20 AM
Well if you read the docs (and incidentally showEQ's configure output) it says 3.0.5 is what it's currently made to run from. I've gotten it to work on 2.3.2 faithfully since way back when, but I'd like to get it going on 3.0.5 to see how it does.

However I'm having problems compiling qt with gcc 3.0.47, so I'm kindof stuck right now in general.

Kalie
04-24-2003, 12:45 AM
Eh, I'm just using the GCC 3.2 packages, haven't had a chance to compile yet though - about to compile QT 2.3.2.

One more problem though, just realized that Debian didn't install Xfree86 as part of the base packages and I don't know what the name of the .deb I need to apt-get is either. Any advice?

tigerknight
04-24-2003, 01:15 AM
ii xbase-clients 4.1.0-16 miscellaneous X clients
ii xfonts-base 4.1.0-16 standard fonts for X
ii xfonts-scalable 4.1.0-16 scalable fonts for X
ii xfree86-common 4.1.0-16 X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
ii xlib6g 4.1.0-16 pseudopackage providing X libraries
ii xlibs 4.1.0-16 X Window System client libraries
ii xlibs-dev 4.1.0-16 X Window System client library development files
ii xutils 4.1.0-16 X Window System utility programs

start off with an apt-get of xfree86-common - it will pull in a bunch of dependencies. After that get what's leftover of this list (probably libs and dev stuff). You should be set after that.

AnotherCoreDump
04-24-2003, 02:29 AM
Hi!

I strongly suggest you go to qt-3.x. At the moment seq wouldn't even compile with 2.3.2 (there's a patch in the patch section that fixes it though), but seq is optimized for qt 3 now.
For troubleshooting see the other postings in the board.

tigerknight
04-24-2003, 02:33 AM
Gladly :] and actually showeq will compile with the 2.3.2 version I had before - it just says 'workable [???]' and continues. And actually works fine. Granted the frame rate isn't the best but I didn't mind.

So far with I have yet to be able to get 3.0.6 to compile because of the upgrade requirement from gcc 2.95 to gcc 3.0.

Frustrating to say the least.

Kalie
04-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Another kinda basic question - how do I configure X in Debian 3?

In RedHat I was used to just typing Xconfigurator to config X. Apparently I used the wrong configuration during the install, so I've gotta change it, and I don't feel like wrestling with the configs. :x

tigerknight
04-24-2003, 01:16 PM
Unfortunately, even though I'm really handy with debian I SUCK with X. The only time I ever got it to work was either by accident or when it configured itself during an install. Hehe.. I just install all the packages and then usually export the desktop or application to my laptop running eXceed since my server is all the way across the apartment anyway.

Kalie
04-26-2003, 04:03 PM
Okay, got Debian going pretty smoothly now on my i-Opener.

Had to learn how to get gpm to cooperate with my USB mouse first, then figure out how to set up X on the nappy CyberBlade video chip and LCD combo. Now that it's done I've refocused on compiling SEQ but now.

When I did a "./configure" it went okay until it came to the QT detection. This was the result:

--[copy]--
deimos:/usr/src/showeq# ./configure
[snip]
checking for Qt... yes
>> Found version.: 3.1.2
>>> Headers......: /usr/src/qt-x11-free-3.1.2/include/
>>>> Libraries...: /usr/lib/
configure: error: Something wicked happened while trying to validate your Qt installation!!! Please verify your libraries...
--[end]--

I compiled QT properly and it's finding it, but I wonder what it is that's so wicked about my libraries? :D Should I download an older version of QT? Should I compile them differently? <boggle>

tigerknight
04-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Did you read INSTALL.newbies carefully? (Hint: when it says to edit a file and replace gcc/g++ with gcc3/g++3 - go through that file very thoroughly)

Kalie
04-26-2003, 11:36 PM
Okay, well, after re-reading the INSTALL.newbies file, the INSTALL file, going over the README and using the forum search I finally figured out what was wrong.

After waiting the 9 hours it took for QT to compile, I forgot to "make install" it, thinking I had done a "make ; make install" instead.

Don't I feel like an idiot. :D

Looks like it's compiled and working, although not "working" completely since the packet structure changed in the last patch.

Thanks for the help! Hopefully I can be of assistance to other people doing the Debian 3.0 thing now that I've got it going.