PDA

View Full Version : Please, just need an answer

Sneaky
01-16-2002, 09:01 PM
I am trying to get SEQ to load. Everytime I get to a certain place, I get an error and I want to post it here so I can find out what I am doing incorrectly. The problem is, I suck. I don;t know how to cut and paste, or whatever you need to do to copy from the console terminal to a text file or this board. Please someone explain it to me. Thanks.,

fryfrog
01-16-2002, 09:21 PM
a.) i'm not trying to be an ass, but some people might not be destined to compile and run showeq. while this is a help area, it is not a general linux help area. there are plenty of ways to get gereral linux help that don't involve this forum. try "linuxdocs.org" or even a live chat channel such as #linuxhelp on undernet irc network.

b.) there are a LOT of ways you can do this, i will name a few. if you don't understand them, figure it out on your own or ask someone in a more general linux help area.

redirecting output using > and >>: ./showeq > /tmp/showeq.log or ./showeq >> /tmp/showeq.log. ( > will overwrite and make a new file, >> will append to the end of said file).

highlight text in a console with mouse, open a file with "pico" or "vi" and middle click (or click both buttons at the same time).

if push comes to shove, you could get off your lazy ass and just type the error into the forum. you could even paraphrase, as if you get the important words in the error message someone is bound to recognize it.

Sneaky
01-16-2002, 10:01 PM
I suppose I could type it in, It's a bit long. As far as "Some people might not be destined to compile and run SEQ" I use to be able to do it in about an hour INCLUDING loading Linux, but with all the new variables a LOT of us have been having troubles. Some of us are more vocal than others about asking for assistance. I THOUGHT that this was the place to find answers. I have used the search feature about a million times, and I have solved a lot of the problems I am having on my own. Their are a lot of good people who post here that have helped us all, but then there are a few who think they are better off keeping the knowledge to themselves.

Linux and it's applications are suppose (for the most part) be open source and people are suppose to SHARE the information. If Linux ever wants to be a contender for lead OS against Microsoft, people should be outgoing about getting the info into the hands of those who are willing to learn.

fryfrog
01-16-2002, 10:22 PM
well, post the error code and lets see what the problem is :)

Sneaky
01-17-2002, 08:59 PM
Actually I go past that error, now I am having another issue. I am trying to add an RPM

rpm -ihv gcc-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm

I can see the file in the dir. I know it is there, but when I issue the command I get

No such file or directory.

When I get to the portion of the make that uses gcc c++ it errors, so I know thats the problem, Its just that I cannot get the RPM to install....

fryfrog
01-17-2002, 09:25 PM
most shells (at least the current ones) support tab completion. just type out the command like "rpm -ivh gcc" then, press the <tab> key a few times. it will display all the different things it could be, and as you narrow it down it will keep showing fewer and fewer choices until it just completes the whole file.

rh 7.2:
gcc3-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm
gcc3-c++-3.0.1-3.i386.rpm

mdk:
gcc3.0-3.0.1-1mdk.i586.rpm

i just looked this up, so i think your problem is merely a simple spelling mistake basically. hopefully this will fix it for ya :)

Sneaky
01-17-2002, 09:42 PM
Actually I went and renamed gcc3 and then gcc3++ installed (after I loaded all the dependencies in the correct order. It is going slow but I am making progress Thanks.