PDA

View Full Version : Omfg

Alfred
04-28-2003, 12:23 PM
Can you believe this!!

I posted TWO days ago that I was doing the gentoo KDE emerge and it is STILL going!!

Argh!!!

I knew my PII 300mhz was slow, but damn!! lol

Can I get any sympathy here?

Yueh
04-28-2003, 12:40 PM
You can always use the prebuilt packages but there is something satisfying when you have a build go forever and actually finish :) I put Gentoo on a 486 to use as a router. It compiled for a good week. Works great :)

board Lizard
04-28-2003, 01:13 PM
http://www.ubergeek.tv/switchlinux/

Yueh
04-28-2003, 01:24 PM
:eek: That was just wrong ;)

SeqTester
04-28-2003, 06:18 PM
/ROFLMAO board Lizard

Alfred
04-28-2003, 07:49 PM
lol

That was funny.

Oh and the emerge just finished. Now to figure out what I need beside cvs lol.

Aurelius
04-29-2003, 07:17 AM
board Lizard you made my day. I wish my brother's machine was up and running so he could see that. )))

:cool: :p :D

TrainSpotter
04-29-2003, 12:30 PM
MY Question is do you NEED KDE for ShowEQ?

I read in one of Ratt's posts that he is using a Stock version of Gentoo...

Alfred
04-29-2003, 12:49 PM
No you don't but I wanted to try it out and see all the cool things that they have been working on.

My previous post on this topic has more information about what you will need.

emerge libpcap
emerge qt

Probably a ton of other stuff that KDE included in its massive emerge.

Good news is, you can start the make process as outlined in the INSTALL and INSTALL.newbies guide and as it burps you can usually figure out what "emerge xxxxx" you need to do.

So far I'm pretty impressed with Gentoo and the KDE slapped on top of it.

Anyone know if there is a way to graphically browse the packages I could install (pseudo emerge)? I tried the System/KPackage but something seems to be broke as the progress bar never finishes.

(yes I know this isn't a gentoo help desk) ;)

Yueh
04-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Anyone know if there is a way to graphically browse the packages I could install (pseudo emerge)?

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/pkgs/index.xml

Alfred
04-30-2003, 11:15 AM
Thank you!!

It is great resource if you have an idea of the package / names you are interested in.

I vaguely remember reading about a list that is held on your machine once you do an emerge sync.... now if I could just find it.

flipper
04-30-2003, 11:34 AM
The files you have already installed are stored in /usr/portage/distfiles

There is probably a sexier way to get this listing, but that will work until you delete those files to free up disk space. The distfiles folder can stretch out beyond 1GB if you install lots of packages.

Dedpoet
04-30-2003, 01:16 PM
If you emerge gentoolkit, you get a nice app called qpkg. It's not graphical, but it does let you see what packages are available if you know a keyword you're looking for:

"qpkg -I" will list all installed packages.

"qpkg -U -i vim" will find packages containing "vim" that are not already installed.

It's a nice tool with quite a bit of extra functionality too. I know it's not graphical, but it's a small emerge and probably worth it.

Alfred
04-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Excellent! thanks!

---- edit ------

:(

darn.

after doing :

emerge gentoolkit

I'm getting :

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/bin/emerge", line 1862, in ?
File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/portage.py", line 980, in spawn
os.execve (mycommand,myargs,settings.environ())

OSError: [Errno 8] Exec format error

Dedpoet
05-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Have you done an "emerge sync" lately? Try that, and then try getting gentoolkit again. It will make sure your ebuild scripts are all up to date.

Alfred
05-02-2003, 06:41 AM
Well something deadly occured last night :(

I noticed once that during boot up, a file system check "fsck.ReiserFS" was not being resolved. I should have realized right away how deadly this was, but I got caught up in learning this new flavour of linux (my experience is with AT&T UNIX System V release 4 of ~ 15 years ago).

Sooo, you guessed it, by the time I started trying to figure out why the init scripts were not running the right fsck, my system was already screwed. I booted up from the CD and ran a fsck.reiserfs and lets just say it wasn't pretty and I ended up redoing the partition. :/

Now lol, I'm rebuilding but I'm wondering how many days it will be before SEQ is ready...... decisions decisions...

This time I'm NOT doing KDE, takes way to long! :)

Dedpoet
05-02-2003, 08:29 AM
The cool thing about breaking your system is all the nifty stuff you find while trying to figure out how to fix it. I lost my boot loader the other day due to my own moronic doing, and while looking around for rescue disks that would let me boot my kernel and get grub installed again I found Damned Small Linux (http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/). This is great! It's a 50 meg distro that includes Fluxbox, a word processor, text editor, web browser, sound support, postscript printing, email, a GUI file manager, NAIM, a PDF viewer, and more. You boot off the cd image, which can fit on a business card cd, tell it what screen resolution you want, and that's it. It's very cool. The only bummer for me was that doesn't support USB mice, so I had to bust out my adaptor to use it.

Not only was I able to mount my ext3 partition and fix my boot loader, I did it with style! I wonder if I could get gcc3 and Qt3 built on this distro... :-P

Yueh
05-02-2003, 10:01 AM
rm -rf /etc

I can't believe I just did that!!!! What a freaking idiot! Well, time to download the latest Gentoo install CD... idiot idiot idiot idiot... :confused:

Dedpoet
05-02-2003, 10:52 AM
Ack. At least you can go to rc4 I guess. :(