PDA

View Full Version : Button for SEQ

Ballosh
05-07-2003, 07:16 AM
Hi,

I've been reading the board for a few months, but only just got around to joining.

Hopefully a simple question - I use RH7.2 and Ximian desktop. I've set up a button to activate SEQ, but I don't know how to make it run SEQ as root. As I use a dummy user for desktop login, I can't run SEQ without opening a shell and su'ing.

Is there a way to automatically run SEQ as root, or can I change the permissions on the showeq to run from another user? I haven't done this as I don't know if it will depend on anything else to run.

Sorry if this has been covered before, I have searched and couldn't find anything relevant.

Ta,

Ballosh

Dedpoet
05-07-2003, 08:02 AM
I title searched on "showeq as root":

One hit and it has your answer.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2019&highlight=showeq+as+root

Edit: Note that doing as Grimjack suggested works, but it's a security issue that is generally bad practice. If this is your home PC it's probably not a big deal, but I just wanted to add that so you're aware. Don't go changing a bunch of apps to 4777 for convenience :-)

Ballosh
05-07-2003, 08:29 AM
I did find that one, I should have been more specific in my first post.

RH / Ximian doesn't have the option to run an icon as another user.

I also don't like chmoding everything to allow it to run. Tried it out of curiosity and it still fell over:

pcap_error:pcap_open_live(eth0): socket: Operation not permitted

I don't really want to change permissions all over the place as my box is the gateway for my internet connection.

Thanks though

Bal.

iluvseq
05-07-2003, 08:56 AM
I don't know anything about RH 7.2 or Ximian, but I suspect you could do the following:

Make a shell script that looks like:

#!/bin/bash

su -c '/path/to/showeq'

Then make a desktop icon to run THAT instead of running ShowEQ directly.

When you run that script, it SHOULD pop up with a terminal window prompting you for your root password, then proceed to run ShowEQ as root.

evalsegaw
05-07-2003, 08:58 AM
Is there a way to specify the command line that is run from your button?

If so, you could just make the command line (or "program to run", whatever Ximian calls it) to something like this:

su -c '/path/to/showeq'

and it will pop-up with a password prompt when you run it. Then again, I use KDE so maybe that won't work for you.

Also, when you say "chmod'ing" do you mean you set the showeq binary to run suid root? I was going to suggest trying that if you can't set the command line for your button...

# chmod 4755 /path/to/showeq (assuming the showeq binary is already owned by root)

Ballosh
05-07-2003, 09:09 AM
su -c works great, thanks for the help.

I don't like changing permissions generally as I got burned by it quite badly through being lax on my secuity setup last year - marginally thanks to RH 7.2 defaulting to having anon ftp server on as default, but there we go :rolleyes:

Bal.

domesticbeer
05-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Or you can install sudo and just called showeq like this

sudo /usr/local/bin/showeq

after putting that user in the sudoers file.

showeqnewb
05-07-2003, 03:38 PM
I am always logged in as root, but I do have a button that launchs SEQ