PDA

View Full Version : Source to libEQ.a - does this open the door for a cygwin port?

bubbahlicious
05-20-2003, 12:29 PM
So I searched (first with keywords 'cygwin port', then with keywords 'cygwin showeq windows'). I came up with a few posts implying that since libeq.a is a precompiled binary, a cygwin ShowEQ port is not possible.

This is not the case anymore. All the source is available.

A second issue was the state of cygwin ported utility libraries for packet capturing (winpcap/libpcap).

While I don't know much about this, I did stumble across http://winpcap.polito.it/. They provide a native windows .dll that exposes the same methods. Could we tweak the makefile for ShowEQ to link against this .dll, instead of expecting libpcap.a (or .so, or whatever it is)?

What do people think? Is a cygwin port now feasable?

And please, let's not turn this into a 'should we port seq to windows?' discussion. That has been run to ground so many times, I'd rather not go through it again. My questions here are purely technical.

uncleubb
05-20-2003, 03:12 PM
I was just going to ask a similar question. "Passive" wSEQ should be just around the corner now.

*Shakes head in shame at SOE*

-uu

Pigeon
05-24-2003, 07:30 PM
Yes, it's possible. AFAIK, SEQ works in windows if you have the proper dependancies installed- someone had it running a while ago, just without decryption.

However, that doesn't mean it's easy- installing QT on windows is fairly intensive.

stranger
05-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Just use that DLL to port the sniffing code and use the MySeq display client to display, just map the things from the ShowEQ source into the objects that MySeq expects.

You could do this and run it on the same machine as EQ and not have to worry about being on a switch.

Simplifies porting the QT libraries to windows. Heck you could even use the DLL to write the whole thing in C# again.

Just a thought.