PDA

View Full Version : Make error

ncornu
05-22-2003, 11:23 AM
I get Makefile.dist:265 error: commands commencet before the first target. Stop.

I downloaded from CVS.

In advance thanks.

NC

Dedpoet
05-22-2003, 11:27 AM
Can you post the whole error and the commands you did to get it? Can't tell much from just that.

ncornu
05-22-2003, 11:51 AM
make -f Makefile.dist

Makefile.dist:265: *** commands commencent before first target. Stop.

I checked line 265:
@echo

between start of line and @ there is TAB. I found some help on web, i replaced by 8 space. But now it say
Makefile.dist:265: *** missing separator (did you mean TAB instead of 8 spaces?)

I downloaded CVS on XP then via samba i copied them on Linux.

In davance thanks.

Dedpoet
05-22-2003, 01:32 PM
Sounds like it may be a problem with transferring the files from Windows to Linux. Do you have cvs on the Linux box? You could also try zipping up the files before copying them. I'm not sure if samba messes with the carriage return/linefeeds at the end of text files, but that is a common issue when copying between Windows and *nix systems. If you tar or zip the files up first, they won't be modified.

Oh, also I know in WinCVS there is an option under Admin -> Preferences on the Globals tab called "Checkout text files with Unix LF (0xa)". Turn that on if it isn't already. You may need to re-download if that wasn't on.

ncornu
05-22-2003, 06:37 PM
Thanks that was the problem. I downloaded CVS on Linux and it work fine. I use WinCVS but i installed DSL connection on Linux.