PDA

View Full Version : no maps, no data, same ol same ol

OlaniLe
05-26-2003, 02:07 AM
OK, I've read the FAQ about 16 or so times, I've searched for what I thought could be the probems and so forth, and as of yet, nothing is working. Here;s what I have.

Slackware 9.0, QT-3.1.2, newest SEQ (the one which requires no libEQ.a and all that).

QT compiled like a dream.
showeq had some small errors, but those were fixed easily enough. (I had a bad version at one point, and I forgot to make install at another point).

I've tried just about everything that I have seen that might have fixed the problem. I'm running my slackware box as a internet gateway usin gShield as a firewall and NAT for my winXP box running EQ. I have internet and am running eq (as I type, no less). I'm connected through a hub that worked with seq in the past (when I was running teh RH7.x) I'm a really big fan of both slackware and seq, so I would like them to cooperate.

Eth0 is my internal nic, eth1 is ext.
I've set them both up using promisc.
I've run showeq using the no-promisc option "showeq -P -i 192.168.1.13"
(where 192.168.1.13 is my client ip)
I've even had showeq try to detect the MAC address of my client nic.
The network diagnostics tool shows absolutly no activity, aside from the options I change in showeq.
I've tried changing ethernet adapters, just in case something weird was going on.
I've edited my firewall configuration to ensure I wasn't losing data of any type.

All this to no avail. It seems like it's not even coming close to sniffing anything that might bear the slighest resemblence to an EQ packet. If that is the case, then I don't really know what I could do about it, as I'm not that versed in such activities. Any and all help would be apprciated greatly. If the solution is hidden elsewhere in the forum and I missed it, I apologize and will attempt to look harder next time.

Ole

LordCrush
05-26-2003, 02:48 AM
Have you tried tcpdump with you EQ-PC ?

OlaniLe
05-26-2003, 02:39 PM
I just went and tried tcpdump. The linux box is indeed getting packets from the eq computer. Actually, it's getting packets from everywhere in the network, but that's beside the point. When I went to log into eq, a whole slew of packets came through from station.com and eqzone and things of that nature. Those went through various udp ports. I'm going to try a couple different things, and would still appriciate some helpful input. Thanks for giving me something to try, Lord Crush.

ole

Mr. Suspicious
05-26-2003, 03:57 PM
I've run showeq using the no-promisc option "showeq -P -i 192.168.1.13"
(where 192.168.1.13 is my client ip)

The INSTALL.newbies file, found in your ShowEQ directory, states:

2.3 Starting ShowEQ
[]# export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-3.0.5
[]# cd /usr/local/bin
[]# ./showeq eth0 --ip-address=10.0.0.10

OR

[]# showeq eth0 --ip-address=10.0.0.10

Of course, for it to work you will need to replace my ip (10.0.0.10)
with the ip of your computer that is/will be playing everquest. if
your showeq box is also your gateway, you might want to use "eth1"
instead of "eth0".

Sounds to me you're using the wrong syntax to statup ShowEQ.

OlaniLe
05-26-2003, 04:08 PM
That was just something I did once or twice. Normally I start up seq by just typing showeq in the command line and changing my optins using the menus in the program. I tried starting it up as the install file suggested and I still got nothing.

Manaweaver
06-01-2003, 05:50 PM
*bumping*

Mainly, because I'm curious as to the solution behind this problem...

raksul
06-01-2003, 08:00 PM
You usin' a switch or a hub? I had the same problem when I first started out.

If you use a switch it will never work. You MUST use a hub otherwise the data isn't broadcasted.

Cheers!

-Raksul

Cryonic
06-01-2003, 08:17 PM
OK, the switch vs hub issue is ONLY if you are NOT running the SEQ box as the gateway device.

If SEQ is on the gateway, then the switch/hub issue is gone because the packets HAVE to pass through the gateway to get to the Net.

As for SEQ, well it needs to listen to the internal interface and be looking for the inside IP address of the EQ machine.

You can set these options from within SEQ and then use File -> Save Preferences so you don't have to keep resetting them when you next start up SEQ.

lenster
06-02-2003, 12:27 AM
My system setup... slackware 9.0 with 2.4.21-rc5-ac1 kernel, QT3.1.2 and ShowEQ 4.3.8 seems similar to yours. Perhaps its like the problem I encountered? Showeq was rejecting packets it shouldn't have. My problem seemed to be more winex related but /shrug maybe it was something else.

I've attached the patch I did where I simply commented out the lines I didnt want showeq to evaluate.

-Len