PDA

View Full Version : makefile issue

Curve
06-05-2003, 04:33 PM
lo again guys, now that were green again Im working on the never ending BSD working version. Anyway, Im up to the make -f Makefile.dist and Im getting this:

Syntax error: "(" unexpected (expecting "}")
*** Error code 2
I have a feeling it has to do with the backup so I tried this: make -f Makefile.dist -Dno-backup. This gives me the same error. Would be nice for msg that tells me whats wrong but alas. Anyway, any insight would be helpful.

-Curve
FreeBSD Wannabe

fester
06-05-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Curve

Syntax error: "(" unexpected (expecting "}")
*** Error code 2

The infinite wisdom of both the BSD Make (original make) and GNU Make ("new" make for Linux) is that one should have two completely incompatible versions of "Makefiles".

Use gmake instead of make on bsd.

Curve
06-05-2003, 08:58 PM
been there done that got the t-shirt =\ Gives the same error, to my surprise

Edit: Also, there is no "-D" option to kill the backup like in make so Im trying to figure out how to do that as well =\

fester
06-05-2003, 10:51 PM
been there done that got the t-shirt =\ Gives the same error, to my surprise

Edit: Also, there is no "-D" option to kill the backup like in make so Im trying to figure out how to do that as well =\

Hummm, dunno then.

I would make all: like this and try:
all:
@make -sf Makefile.dist no-backup

no-backup:

I don't understand why the function would cause trouble (your using gmake on FreeBSD and Linux) but try removing it (it is the only place a "(" could be creating the error you reported.)

Curve
06-05-2003, 11:12 PM
Ok I got past this problem now by completely removing the backup code from the makefile and now Im running into this:

Generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in and acinclude.m4....aclocal: not found
*** Error code 127

Yay advancing toward nothing :eek:

fester
06-06-2003, 12:14 AM

Generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in and acinclude.m4....aclocal: not found
*** Error code 127

Grr. Do a little homework. This one is dead EASY to fix. I shall not answer.

Curve
06-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Yay, past makefile and ./configure

Now, on make Im getting

make: don't know how to make m_libEQ.cpp. Stop
*** Error code 1

Edit: Im curious about zlib...is this the only piece of seq that uses zlib? I wonder if it has anything to do with FreeBSD being "libZ" and not "Zlib"

Dedpoet
06-06-2003, 09:23 PM
From "m_libeq.cpp" in the search box:

http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=71485&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

Curve
06-07-2003, 08:39 AM
I know yall are annoyed with me by now but Im gonna make this work =P Now Im getting this:

spellshell.cpp: In member function `QString SpellItem::castTimeStr() const':
spellshell.cpp:99:error: invalid conversion from `const long int*' to `const time_t*'
*** Error code 1

I did do a search on this one and came up with nothing

fester
06-07-2003, 10:26 AM
spellshell.cpp: In member function `QString SpellItem::castTimeStr() const':
spellshell.cpp:99:error: invalid conversion from `const long int*' to `const time_t*'
*** Error code

At this point either you learn how to program, find someone else with FreeBSD patches, or abandon the quest.

What you have above is when you are using a variable defined as "long int *" and are using it as "time_t *" (which is likely typedef'd as long int.)

struct tm *CreationLocalTime = localtime( &(m_castTime.tv_sec) );

What you can likely do is add "(time_t*)" after the "localtime(" on that line. Keep in mind you will need to do this for more than just this line. You possibly will need to do this on a great many number of lines. I would suggest compiling with "-Wall" in your CFLAGS so that you get much more warnings.

In the end, it is likely a far better use of your time to pull a junk 400mhz PII into service than to work at this project.