PDA

View Full Version : SEQ installed, but nothing...

Hendrix
06-07-2003, 09:19 AM
I recently installed SEQ on RH 9 Distro. I got it installed, but when i start it, it gets no information. Could my linksys router block it from getting the data it needs from EQ?

uRit1u2CBBA=
06-07-2003, 09:34 AM
That is exactly what it is doing.

Switches and Routers are designed to send packet information ONLY to where it belongs.

You will need to get a plain old hub to connect your PC and the SEQ box together. Hubs are not as smart as Routers and Switches, and broadcast every packet to every device on the network. It is up to the devices to realize which packets are its own.

Here is a picture of my network (more complicated than yours, but you'll get the idea)

Internet
|
|
Cable Modem
|
|
Wireless Router / 4-port Switch
|
|
PC1

Wireless Bridge
|
|
Hub
|
+---+---+
| |
| |
SEQ PC2

PC2 is my EQ machine. You can see where SEQ and PC2 are connected via hub, so any packet to either box is sent to both.

You'll want to bet a hub between your router and your PC and SEQ boxes

Hendrix
06-07-2003, 09:37 AM
Alright thx for the info. Guess i will have to invest in a hub :) good thing they are cheap.

Curve
06-07-2003, 09:47 AM
You can set up your router if you know enough about it or have good enough software to accept all packets...just have to know what youre doing

Hendrix
06-07-2003, 11:40 AM
I figured SEQ would sniff the ports of the computer that you play EQ on and would pull them from that. Would make since, but ah well.

datadog
06-07-2003, 03:36 PM
SEQ is a passive sniffer.

Its a glorious thing.