PDA

View Full Version : A network question

Delinx32
06-08-2003, 11:57 PM
Hey guys i kind of expect to be flamed for this, but I've searched, and unfortunately I don't know what terminology I'm looking for, so I haven't been able to find an answer.

I have a network set up as such:
Internet
|
Router
|
Hub
| --------- |------------|
Winxp---Redhat 8/---WinXP
Win98(dual)
Problem is, that I don't want to use my redhat machine as a gateway, because of the 98 dual boot on it. 98 is pretty unstable when it comes to networking, and I don't want to deal with the hassles involved with it.

Can anyone give me a keyword, or some info on how to route packets to my linux box? I've screwed around with setting up static routes with my destination being my xp box, and my gateway being my linux box, but that didn't work. Is there any way I can use my current set up without having to throw another net card in my linux/98 box?

Dedpoet
06-09-2003, 06:49 AM
Why do you want to route packets to your Linux box? So you can use ShowEQ? If that's the case then probably the only thing wrong is that your hub is not a true hub, but in fact a switch. What brand and model is it? Does the hub's packaging say "switched hub" or some other term that may imply this? It's getting harder and harder to find true hubs these days, since the technology to make a cheap switch is just as avaialable and affordable, and switches are superior to hubs in almost every situation...except when you want to sniff packets. If your hub is a true hub then your Linux box should already be seeing the packets.

Can you tcpdump on the Linux box while playing EQ and see packets going to and from the EQ servers? Can the boxen ping eachother? Can you get out to the Internet on both machines?

fester
06-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Had a friend that needed a hub. He bought 4 different "hubs" from different vendors (Linksys, Dlink, one I don't remember, and finally an ultra cheap no name generic one.) None of them worked as a hub. He actually had a great deal of trouble returning the last two, since the people at the store didn't understand the true meaning of a "hub."

In any event, I loaned him a Netgear HUB and he found one for sale to return to me. It would seem to me the only hubs available now are from Netgear or Cisco. I doubt any of the remaining "hubs" are actually hubs.

It is also interesting to note that Dlink and Linksys sells identical looking items labeled as "hubs" and "switches". It is my guess they market the same part (with a painted word changed on the case) in two different packages so as to not limit the sales.

edit: fixed typo

Delinx32
06-09-2003, 01:48 PM
You're right, after checking out my "hub" I found out its actually a switch. its a netgear, I don't have the model available right now(I'm at work). Darn, just bought that thing to replace my 10mb hub. Well guess I have to switch back to the old hub. Thanks for the help guys.

arantius
06-09-2003, 04:59 PM
A nice tidbit of information for you "switch vs hub" people that can't figure it out...
If it says 10/100 it is a SWITCH. There's no way to do both with a repeater. It has to be a more intelligent device, i.e. a switch. Occasionally it's a 100mbit switch that has a crossover to a 10mbit hub that talks just to the 10mbit devices but, you're likely using the 100mbit section. And as I said that's only seldomly.

Cryonic
06-09-2003, 05:44 PM
I have a 10/100 hub. Intel InBusiness 8-port 10/100 hub. It is a true hub since all the devices hooked to it run at a measly 10Mbps since my DSL modem only has a 10bT ethernet connection.

For the most part 10/100 devices are switches, but you can't just cart blanche say they all are.

Delinx32
06-09-2003, 05:59 PM
Yup, well I hooked up the old hub, and showeq is running great. I still want to use my switch, and with my limited knowledge of networking I only see 2 ways I can do it.

1. Put my hub between my switch and my linux/eq machines
2. Set up Linux as a gateway(bad idea for me as noted above)

Is there some way I could get my switch to send packets to my linux machine, or should I just go with option 1? Again, if there is some terminology I can search for, please let me know, and I'll hit the search engine.

Thanks again all.

datadog
06-09-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
I have a 10/100 hub. Intel InBusiness 8-port 10/100 hub. It is a true hub since all the devices hooked to it run at a measly 10Mbps since my DSL modem only has a 10bT ethernet connection.

For the most part 10/100 devices are switches, but you can't just cart blanche say they all are.

ummm... well.. no.

The speed of your downlink from the DSL modem has nothing to do with the speed ofthe interfaces on any network devices connected to it.

a HUB is broadcast device .. or multi-repeater, and it can only broadcast the same speed on all of its interfaces.

There are 10mb hubs, and 100mb hubs, but there are NO 10/100 hubs where two devices with different speed interfaces can talk to each other. I have seen hubs that advertise 10/100.. but they are a one or the other deal. You could not have a 10mb device plugged in to it and expect it to be able to talk to a 100mb device. A hub just isnt smart enough to make this happen.

Switch ports (on manageable switches) on the otherhand can be set to either 10 or 100mb and they CAN talk to each other. Its one of the main differences between a hub and a switch. I digress...

To answer delinx32's question,

no.. there is no way to utilize your unmanageable switch between your linux/SEQ box and windows box.

There are switches (managable ones) that allow you to configure port mirroring... where you mirror all of the data from one port to another. Sometimes (in some forms) referred to as spanning. Unfortunately your switch does not fit into the 'manageable' category.

dd

Fatal
06-09-2003, 06:44 PM
The netgear 4port 10baseT hub (model EN 104tp) is pretty decent. Ive never had a problem with it , unlike my kingston that needs to be rebooted all the time.

Delinx32
06-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Datadog,
Thanks, I was afraid that that was the case.

Fatal,
You're right, I love that hub, its the one I'm using now. The only thing that I don't like about it is the 10mb part of it.

Thanks again everyone.

old_fart
06-09-2003, 11:03 PM
On some switchs, its possable to put a port in diagnostics mode and traffic from other ports in the diagnostic group will be forwared to that port. I dont think this an option on cheap switchs however. So.. your can find a cheap hub or and expensive switch..... it's the gear the falls somewhere in the middle that is trouble.

Dedpoet
06-10-2003, 07:43 AM
I have also used a Netgear EN104TP. There is also an 8 port version, the EN108TP. Currently I use a D-Link DS-105, which is 10/100. They no longer make it, but you could probably find one online somewhere.

Cryonic
06-10-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by datadog
ummm... well.. no.

The speed of your downlink from the DSL modem has nothing to do with the speed ofthe interfaces on any network devices connected to it.

a HUB is broadcast device .. or multi-repeater, and it can only broadcast the same speed on all of its interfaces.

There are 10mb hubs, and 100mb hubs, but there are NO 10/100 hubs where two devices with different speed interfaces can talk to each other. I have seen hubs that advertise 10/100.. but they are a one or the other deal. You could not have a 10mb device plugged in to it and expect it to be able to talk to a 100mb device. A hub just isnt smart enough to make this happen.

Switch ports (on manageable switches) on the otherhand can be set to either 10 or 100mb and they CAN talk to each other. Its one of the main differences between a hub and a switch. I digress...

To answer delinx32's question,

no.. there is no way to utilize your unmanageable switch between your linux/SEQ box and windows box.

There are switches (managable ones) that allow you to configure port mirroring... where you mirror all of the data from one port to another. Sometimes (in some forms) referred to as spanning. Unfortunately your switch does not fit into the 'manageable' category.

dd

Did I say that it was doing both speeds at once, no I just said that I have a hub that is a 10/100 hub. This means that it will run at either speed depending on the fastest link it is able to establish. Since the interface from the DSL device is a 10bT, it forces all the other devices to negotiate 10 also.

Latigid
06-11-2003, 04:31 AM
Try this thread on for size.

Switches and Hubs 101 (http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2572&highlight=switch+hub+speed)

:D

slartibartfast
06-11-2003, 06:06 AM
I have a Netgear 8 port 10/100 Hub.

the 10 + 100 planes opearate as 2 separate "Hubs" with a switch between them, however each plane is a true hub, such that all packets are broacast to all nodes, however they do not necessarily get broadcast to the other plane...