PDA

View Full Version : A question to the Dev's (Btw, you guys own)

seqcleric
06-10-2003, 11:57 PM
Well, first, a big thank you for your continued support and development of showeq. I have been a loyal user for over 2 years now.

My question is: Do the EQ devs attempt to break showeq often?

I don't want a bunch of idiots posting on this. (I have a feeling tons of people are going to say "Hell yes," but i'm not interested in opinion, only in fact, at least as close to fact as we can determine)

I think there have been a couple major attempts to shut showeq down (IE the encryption that involved the packet sniffer thing) but other than that, do they really sit down and say "Lets see what those guys make of THIS change" or is a lot of it unintentional, dealing with optimizing packet flow, how data and what data is sent, etc?

Just a curious question for some of us who might be interested.
Thanks very much for your time,
Seqcleric

Ratt
06-11-2003, 11:25 AM
I'd wager to say most of the breakage of SEQ has been collateral damage. But there have been more than a few targeted bullets shot SEQ's way over the course of the years...

fester
06-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Since I have been using (or fixing) ShowEQ starting in early 2001/late 2000, I have only seen one change that could be argued as a change to defeat ShowEQ (the 64 bit encryption.)

Every other change has been to do one of the following:
1) Lower Bandwidth usage
2) Lower Byte count of structures
3) Improve Efficiency

There have been information altered to provide less information to ShowEQ users (like faction and exp.) These changes were to limit the extreme advantage a ShowEQ user has. I would prefer to have this information, but I can understand their reason for removing it.

At this point, there is no extreme advantage to using ShowEQ and I believe this is the reason they have retreated to minimal security. I also believe they do not even think about how a change will beak ShowEQ anymore.