PDA

View Full Version : MAC address vs IP address

unknown_errors
06-13-2003, 02:02 AM
ok this is a simple question. but to understand it fully i would like to give some detail so theres no mistakes.

first off my network.

cable modem
|
mandrake 9.2 box
|
netgear four port hub
| | |
EQ playing box 1 EQ playing box 2 EQ playing box 3
numbers are what port they connected two on the hub not that it matters.

(sux having roommates that play for this reason)
when i load up showeq and eq on box1 both are in my room, if either one of my roommates are playing at the same time i jump on 9 - times out of 10 it will pick up there char untill i zone then when they zone it grabs one of them again.
showeq is listening on the ISP address ( 68 or 24 address) , not any one of the 192 hub addresses if i change it to make it listen on the hud address i get a pertty blank screen ( doesn't do jack ) i have tried setting it to listen on my mac address for eq box 1 as well, no go. does eq have to be listening on ISP addy ? i tried a few searches and jesus theres alot of posts about network mubojumbo. so many that it make things rather hard work to find the good keyword that will help me. my roommates said showeq was dead now i luagh at them.. well there laughing at me for is dickeranus error. any ideas?

Mr. Suspicious
06-13-2003, 02:38 AM
Could you be more clear. I'm not sure anyone understands your problem.

Also: Use punctuation and paragraphs, your writing is hard to read.

uRit1u2CBBA=
06-13-2003, 06:46 AM
By default, SEQ will detect the first EQ session it can and run with it. It sounds like it might be still set to this.

I would think specifically putting your IP address into SEQ set up should filter it properly to show your information only.

What settings have you tried?

Dedpoet
06-13-2003, 07:07 AM
Agree with the previous post. If your IP addys on your EQ boxen are static, set ShowEQ to monitor your IP. If they change, set it to monitor the MAC address of the network card. Both can be obtained by doing an "ipconfig /all" from a command line if you're running NT/2000/XP or "winipcfg" if on 98. Set it from the network menu, save the settings, and restart SEQ and you should be good to go.

S_B_R
06-13-2003, 10:10 AM
also, i'm assuming here (doh!), the Mandrake box is your NAT/router. It sounds like you are specifying a device (i.e. eth#)for SEQ to listen on. Which is why when you set it to listen to 192.x.x.x instead of your "ISP address" it doesn't see anything. Meaning SEQ is listening on the NIC that is connected to the Cablemodem and not the NIC connected to the hub.