PDA

View Full Version : ppp0 problems

Snt
01-20-2002, 09:19 PM
I've read all of the packet problems, no one seemed to ask about ppp0 and dsl. Both have different external ip's, both have different iternal ip's. I can ping either.

DSL
||
Hub(not switch)
|| ||
WinXP(PPPoE) Linux(PPPoE)

I can't seem to sniff any of the packets, i read the connect is spose to hit the hub before it goes out to the net, or id never get a chance to sniff the packets.

Yahoo ID: gsupc for IM and email.

Yendor
01-20-2002, 09:59 PM
Not sure but I would think PPPoE would preclude seeing packets destined for other machines (the entire basis of seq).

S_B_R
01-20-2002, 10:02 PM
what brand and model "Hub" are you using? also in the linux world ppp0 is completely different from PPPOE ;)

fee
01-20-2002, 10:34 PM
Your problem sounds like you are running a pppoe session from the EQ client. Regardless of how your showeq box is placed on the network this will be a problem. showeq can only decode ethernet packet types of regular IP over ethernet(ether type 0x0800). PPPoE, PPP or any other protocol use a different encapsulation that showeq is not written to decode properly. If you are stuck using PPPoE, you will need to set up some kind of router to manage the PPPoE link and forward the IP packets to the client, both a linux box or linksys could be used.

fee

Snt
01-20-2002, 11:18 PM
Okay thanks all, ill just setup the linux box to route them all, changing to cable on wednesday anyways.. ill see how it goes from there. Appreciate the fast replies.

Yahoo ID: gsupc for IM and email.