PDA

View Full Version : My Script for Updating seq

Xith
06-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to post the script I use to update SEQ. This is derived from info from a few different posts on this forum. Also, this is for a Redhat 7.1 machine that has already had various packages installed and/or updated (these are listed elsewhere in this forum) and the latest QT installed. The other assumptions is that it is run as root and that seq is installed in the /seq directory. Hope it's useful to somebody (it works great for me)

I have a file called updateseq that I gave execute permissions (chmod 755 updateseq) in my /root folder. Here is the contents

mkdir /seq
cd /seq
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.seq.sourceforge.ne t:/cvsroot/seq
cvs login
cvs checkout showeq
cd showeq
make -f Makefile.dist
export QTDIR=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CXX=g++3
export CC=gcc
./configure
make
make install

Xith

edit: refined script based on feedback on this thread

S_B_R
06-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Put an extra : in there and you won't get a password prompt.
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.seq.sourceforge.ne t:/cvsroot/seq

fester
06-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Xith
wget ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux/libEQ.a
wget ftp://smurfette.trifocus.net/pub/libeq/i386/linux/libEQ.a.md5

Remove these lines and remove all lib[eE][qQ].a files from your system.

Aurelius
06-14-2003, 03:27 AM
Why remove the libeq.a files? Do they have to be removed because they cause harm if they are left where ever they are located?

Mr. Suspicious
06-14-2003, 12:20 PM
My recommendation: NEVER use scripts to do this thing. If you do, sooner or later (rather sooner) you'll be back here, asking the stupid question "why doesn't my script work anymore?"

fester
06-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Aurelius
Why remove the libeq.a files? Do they have to be removed because they cause harm if they are left where ever they are located?

Hmm...

1) Because they are no longer used.
2) Because that wastes the bandwidth of smurfette.trifocus.net.
3) Because the file will never be needed again.
4) Because if a file like it is needed, it will be a different file.
5) Because it would waste time/cpu to execute the wgets.

I could probably think of more, but this is all I can this early in the
morning.

Alfred
06-14-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Suspicious
My recommendation: NEVER use scripts to do this thing. If you do, sooner or later (rather sooner) you'll be back here, asking the stupid question "why doesn't my script work anymore?"

I agree (imagine that)

If at all possible, you really should do things by hand and try to understand on at least a basic level what is happening and why you are doing it. Then... make a script.

I realize that the above advice is a pipe dream but honestly it is something you should strive for.

Xith
06-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Thanks for feedback guys, I'll update my script. I'm an engineer, I like automation when feasible.

Xith

Mr. Suspicious
06-15-2003, 05:17 PM
I'm an engineer

And so is everyone that's going to use this script? Or are you going to supply infinite support with problems that users will encounter if they use your script (once it starts being outdated) aswell?

PS: If you do a small search using the search engine you will find that scripts like this one (EXACTLY the same) are being posted about once per 2 months.

Aurelius
06-16-2003, 09:43 AM
You need to cool aid out, take a break from all that coffee. ))

My point was it is only one file. Leave it lie. It doesn't hurt anyone and since it doesn't have to be downloaded, so what if it sits and takes a few bits of storage. I wasn't looking for a guide to the galaxy answer anyways, just a simple reason of why it would be necessary. Guess it's not necessary, so on my drive it can stay )).

jesterbam
06-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Aurelius agree.....it is sad. Here is a guy who offered up a possible help for folks but the boards are now dominated by preadolescent boys who constantly pounce on ANY thing not of their liking. They have ran off anyone asking any questions. Since that pool has dried up they are now lurking and jump folks that post helpful information. The real joke is it is aways under the guise of “don’t waste message board space –use the search key you jerk”. I bet if we added all the disk space up for useful information and compared it to the kiddy (not chronologically but behavior wise) complainers they probably eat up as much space.
Fact is these boards use to be a wealth of exchanging information but now it’s not worth it. I use to post stuff a lot and got tired of the tantrums thrown by lurkers.
SEQ use to be a vibrant evolving product with lots of input and fixes on CVS very quickly but now it limps along due primary to the hostility on the boards..it’s a shame. It is only working partly now due to the codepig guy, the kiddies dang near ran him off before they realized he had the key to getting SEQ working after months of it not working.
I am sorry to say now that they are total control of the boards SEQ will crawl along (as it is now) STATUS: GREEN (sorta maybe if you patch it).

Stratus
06-16-2003, 01:08 PM
People like you need to think to yourself, "If I said this to someone in real life would they launch me through a wall?"

Would get you far in life.

Could possibly put an end to them lonely nights of sitting in front of your keyboard wondering why your phone never rings.

The poor guy put up a script that probably will help some people get their ShowEQ working. Sure, Maybe it will break in the future but for the moment it may get a few people up and running who are having problems.. More power to him and screw off whoever is putting down someone trying to help.

Or is that the issue, that you just want to be elitist and make sure as little people wind up using ShowEQ as possible?

You can blame people like yourselves for the existence of a windows showeq-like program. People who got fed up with the "RTFM!" collective.

It's the people screaming "RTFM!" who usually know the least about what they are talking about. It's like visiting the #linux or #linuxhelp channels on IRC to ask them a question and all you hear back is "RTFM!", it seems to me it's because they only thing they have a clue on how to help people with is how to get dial up networking to work right.

Try being polite and nice to people but I guess that's why many wrap themselves in EQ because they can be jackasses with no repricussions.

Cryonic
06-16-2003, 01:26 PM
Actually it used to be (and still might be) that SEQ was to be kept from the masses as much as possible. Why? To keep VI/SOE from doing their best to fully break it.

The problem with scripts like the one posted here is the lack of fault logic in it. If one step fails it just keeps going which makes it harder for someone to figure out what/where it went south.

BlueAdept
06-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Stratus
It's the people screaming "RTFM!" who usually know the least about what they are talking about. It's like visiting the #linux or #linuxhelp channels on IRC to ask them a question and all you hear back is "RTFM!", it seems to me it's because they only thing they have a clue on how to help people with is how to get dial up networking to work right.

I can see by your one post that you have contributed a whole lot to this project. I think that you can take your wealth of information elsewhere. It is people like you who are not needed here.

There was not one mention of RTFM until you posted this drivel.

As for the script, it was nice of xith to post it, but as was said, there have been like 5 or so posted already. Second, it does generate posts of "My script doesnt work. I downloaded from here. Someone help me now". People really need to learn how to get this to work on their own...then make up their own scripts.

As for Mr. Suspicious, he has helped a lot of people in the past. He just stated his opinion and didnt really flame anyone about it. There is nothing to get upset about. Its not like he said remove this script or I will kill everyone and their mothers....

Xith
06-16-2003, 02:35 PM
a.) Glad to see that there is actually *some* maturity around here.
b.) Mr. Suspicious: bite me. I haven't had the time to contribute to *this* particular project because there's a thing that adults have called "REAL LIFE", especially when they become parents which I hope you never do.
c.) Don't make things harder than they need to be. I don't think verant can do much about showeq technically. And now that Brad is gone, I don't think the interest level is as high
d.) And lastsly, guys CHILL OUT, this is just a game here.....

Xith

datadog
06-16-2003, 03:02 PM
I am sure that Xith's intentions were good. He, like many of us who are not programmers, would love to find a way to contribute. You cant blame him for trying.

My personal feeling is that if folks are treated this way it will only serve to discourage anyone who might have the time and talent to learn development well enough to contribute. I learned something from my father a long time ago. Never stifle enthusiasm. Much better to make good use of it.

I have a similar "script" that I have saved on my linux box, but I never actually run it. I just cat it out on the screen to remind me of the proper order and syntax of commands. if im feelin' mighty lazy, i'll copy/paste them one at a time to the command line when I do a rebuild. Not really a script, but just some notes I saved more than anything. When I first learned to compiled SEQ, every time there was a patch I had to search through these forums and the readme docs to try to remember how to do these things. Having this saved on my machine is helpful for those of us who dont use them every day.

Xith (and others), my advice is dont be discouraged. For every one person who flames you here in this forum there are probably 100 who have saved your 'script' for thier own purposes.

dd

Edit: Just to be very clear, I was NOT referring to Fester's post about removing the libEQ.a lines as a flame. Providing construtive feedback is obviously essential to keeping good order.

Mr. Suspicious
06-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Funny how a non flame post,a post merely to discuss something, is regarded by some individuals as a flame and taken as an excuse to actually realy flame.

I suppose with the right mindset (the mindset of the receiver of the message, mind you) even a simpy "goodmorning you look nice today" could be (and I am sure IS on a daily basis) taken as a flame:

"What do you mean goodmorning??? It rains!!! You mean a rainy day is something you think I deserve???"
"Do you mean you think I looked bad yesterday!!!"
etc. etc.

Xith
06-17-2003, 09:00 AM
Actually, that was a flame. Maybe you didn't think it was because you are an asshole and are used to being that way.

However, I am actaully a programmer (software engineer with 10 years of INDUSTRY experience, not lamer flamer on message boards), Linux is not my forte however. And I agree with datadog. You need to just shrink up in some corner and rot there. Rotting is a process where micro-organisms feed off of organic matter and create humus and other mineral rich substances as waste. I think this is the only way you will ever be anything close to fertile. Just don't expect much to come from the grey matter in your head because it's obviously in short supply and probably all cooked from your years being a hot head (cooked organic material is radically different than uncoocked and doesn't translate to fertile material nearly as well)

Have a Nice Day
Xith

jesterbam
06-17-2003, 10:05 AM
BOOM!!!!! Way to go Xith for puttin the smack down on the preadolesent. If more folks told it like it is maybe these RTFM Use the search types would slowly go away and we could have information exchanging agian like it use too. In the past I think folks were afraid to chalenege the kiddies for fear of running off someone who helped keep SEQ working. Now that there are SEQ alternatives and we have learned to live without SEQ when we have to we are no longer captive to the boys with bad atitudes.

PS. I incorporated some of your script in mine and it works great thanks for posting yours from all of us that look for useful information in posts like yours.

datadog
06-17-2003, 11:31 AM
Well,

Please dont take my post as trying to run anyone off, including Mr.Suspicous. That would be contradictory.

The fact is the project needs as much talent as it can get. We dont want folks to get frustrated and leave because of attitudes on the message board. We lose enough folks to natural attrition (i.e. quitting the game) as it is.

My suggestion would be, if you post, before you click submit, re-read what you wrote and ask yourself a few questions.. Does it help the project or userbase in some way? Is it inflamatory or insulting? If you are asking a question, have you done some reasonable amount of homework yourself in attempting to answer your own question?

Most of the original developers are gone. The project relies almost exclusively on contributions from random_user_01 (the true definition of open source) with some gentle encouragement from Ratt, Fester, and a few of the old timers. (btw, nice to see you posting again Fester! :) )

In the past, the hostile nature of these forums, and the IRC channel have been acceptible because the code contributions came form a small group of insiders. Now that we rely on outside contributions to get updates and patches it is probably a good idea to keep the flaming to a minimum and concentrate on making positive contributions to the effort.

Just my 2cp

dd

fryfrog
06-17-2003, 10:58 PM
I've read this thread for a little while. I rarely stick my head in and talk on these because I don't really side with either of them. Sure, sometimes it sucks to get told to RTFM... but what is the point of documentation if not to be used?

There is also the other side where being told to RTFM hurts your feelings and makes you feel sad. Nobody likes to be told that their question isn't original.

That being said... go the FUCK away and don't ever fucking post here again. Seriously. Mr fucking 8 posts who registered a fucking year ago. You too Mr. fucking 6 posts and registered this fucking month. Shut you fucking mouth and quit your fucking bitching about how people are helped at these forums. Sure, you did a GREAT job basically pasting the line by line commands that need to be run into a fucking file, marking it executable and running it. If you are gonna take the fucking time to write a script, have 10 YEARS OF FUCKING INDUSTRY experience... why not make it a SMART fucking script. Failing smart, at least make it of average intelligence. Perhaps some flexibility, maybe even some fucking error checking. You really think pasting the commands that are found in the fucking help files into a post and calling it a "script" actually helps anyone?

Don't you fucking talk about how the forums "used" to be some god damn free exchange of information. We had the same type of fucking cry babies, the same type of fucking flamers who help people that aren't asking the same stupid fucking question. You should go read back a few fucking years and see how many god damn useless fucking scripts there have been. Oh yeah, and why don't you go back and fucking look back at who has been HELPING people for all this time. You think its you whiny ass shitholes that can't take a suggestion to use the fucking search function or read some fucking help pages? FUCK NO. Its exactly the people YOU are calling assholes. They stick around, they help people. What happens to you? You get your fucking showeq working and you go the fuck away. You don't contribute anything. You don't help anyone. Then, a few months from now when something is broken again you bring you fucking stupid ass script and your dumb ass questions and ask "what is wrong, my script doesn't work" because you don't know how to do the shit by hand... and you can't read or search either.

It is also my opinion that this thread didn't get all stupid and flamey until jesterbam started in with HIS shit. if you read this jester, please go fuck yourself. Anything from above that applies to you... please take it.

Please keep in mind that this message isn't entirely directed at you Xith. Out of curiosity, why do you do "export CXX=g++3
export CC=gcc" (missing a 3 off of the gcc3?). Also, as a slightly shorter way of acomplishing that a portion of your script you could replace:

export QTDIR=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1
export PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
export MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export CXX=g++3
export CC=gcc
./configure

with

QTDIR=/opt/qt-x11-free-3.1.1 CXX=g++3 CC=gcc ./configure

you don't really need all that QT bin dir stuff, nor the man page stuff as far as i have ever seen. also, if you do the above it won't set the variables permenantly, just for the run of ./configure. This can sometimes be helpful if you run other versions of qt or something.

Flame me for this or don't. It really doesnt matter. I've helped far more people than you have insulted, and I've helped more people than your script will ever help.

Cryonic
06-17-2003, 11:29 PM
Commands run from inside a shell script lose their values when the script terminates. Basically what happens is:

You run your script
a new shell is set up for it and all the commands and environment variables affect just that instance of the shell
Script finishes running and the shell is terminiated returning you back to the shell you started in. All the environment variables are back to what they had been.

fester
06-17-2003, 11:33 PM
/cheer fryfrog

fryfrog
06-17-2003, 11:52 PM
i stand corrected on that point then... but neener neener, mine is shorter ;p

fryfrog
06-18-2003, 01:25 AM
God fucking damnit, I have to fucking respond again because I just finished re-reading the thread and noticed a few things.

Stratus, do you REALLY deep down inside think that there is a windows showeq because of us big mean assholes that told people to RTFM when they asked the same stupid fucking question over and over again? Let me get this straight. The same people that could not follow simple instructions, read directions, use the search feature OR read the faq went off and wrote some windows showeq applications. GO GET A FUCKING CLUE. HELLO! That is like saying that since you or I don't like the way car makers design their cars that we could go off, form our own company and make a bunch of really great cars. NOT FUCKING LIKELY.

Windows showeq is around because sony decided to fuck with showeq. Well, showeq fucked back and started using memory sniffers. You know what... the same people that looked at the memory sniffers kind of realized that... hey, instead of using a memory sniffer and sending it to showeq... why don't we just pull ALL the info we need out and view it. None of this having to wait until showeq works anymore. Just find a few memory locations and BAM it all works. That explain a few things for you?

and you jester... i sure as fuck bet that if you added up all of YOUR type of posts and then added up all the helpful posts you and others like you have made it would come out to be infintesibly smaller than the number of HELPFUL posts made by us ASSHOLES. oh, and for the hell of it... i bet if you add the amount of time saved from repeating the same fucking answer over and over instead of saying "use search, faq, docs" (RTFM) it would be a LOT FUCKING bigger than the amount of time people like you waste bitching about the assholes. i hesitate to say fuck off and die because why would I want you to die over some stupid message board issue... so just FUCK OFF.

k, thx bye ^_^

Stratus
06-18-2003, 02:28 AM
I had a big response posted but I decided your not really worth arguing with.

/bow /grovel /worship , That's what you really want.

Happy now?

PS - As for your car maker example, Ever heard of Tucker? Probably not. You were the type of person to make sure he didn't succeed.

fryfrog
06-18-2003, 03:11 AM
i would actually like to see your long response, you may find it hard to believe but when i am wrong... i am wrong and there is no two ways around it. your right, my example wasn't the best. if i think of something better i will post it.

you don't quite get what i'm after. i really am not after your bowing, groveling or begging (or anything like that). just put your feet where your mouth is. or... practice what you preach. don't sit there and type this sanctamonious bullshit about how the people that help others (i can pretty much promise, 99.9% of the RTFM people are the same people that provide the most help) suck so much.

prove us wrong. help everyone that asks a question with out getting cynical. answer every duplicate question as if it were the first time it were ever asked. i would suggest you bookmark the faq and keep a copy of the manuals handy, as you should be able to answer most of the questions with a simple cut/paste.

good luck.

jesterbam
06-18-2003, 04:11 AM
fryfrog throws a tantrum like a 3 year old......nuff said :D

fryfrog
06-18-2003, 04:16 AM
come on, i spend all this time writing and you can't even come up with anything more than claiming that i'm a 3 year old throwing a tantrum? i'm impressed. also, i would like to meet this 3 year old that says fuck so much :)

jesterbam
06-18-2003, 05:29 AM
fry poor fellow, you see I have an ability you do not. after
That being said... go the FUCK away i read no further. See the point we have all made for years is if you RTFM/Search types start reading a post that is redundant or ask a stupid question just stop reading and move on. But no, you lack this ability (as wonderful as you think you are you have no self control). As so many have asid it does not advance the project to have your types throwing tantrums.....wha wha wha ha he posted that same question wha wha. you just clutter the boards with tantrums....no useful information.

When i read a post that is redunadant i stop and move on no big deal and no tantrum <----difference between adult and child. And as adults who throw tantrums they only make a fool of themselves and entertain folks like me because you see when I see I can pull your string so easy it makes me smile that I can dish back what you dump on folks who do not deserve it for asking a question you did not like.

So you see you may think your all cool and stuff for jumping the newbs but reality is you demonstrate immature social skills and probably low self esteam.....

fester
06-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Kimbler, jesterbam, and Stratus please just leave. You help no one with your incessant blubbering. Do you want to know why ShowEQ was broken so long? it was because of people like you.

I can understand why so many people had working private versions of ShowEQ and never released the patches (I know of at least twice when a friend patched ShowEQ and did not release the fix; I am not talking about traditional devs.)

Keep your wailing up, and the only people who leave this project will be the very people fixing it (or capable of fixing it.)

jesterbam
06-18-2003, 06:05 AM
Hmm... folks who ask posters to be curtious, have manners hurt the project and cause the coders to not release patches and run off new talent .......and adolestent tantrum throwing cusing rude posters help the project and casue the coders to release patches and nurture new talent.....that makes sense! Dang I really am impressed with your sides intelectual debating skills. /bow

fester
06-18-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by jesterbam
Hmm... folks who ask posters to be curtious, have manners hurt the project and cause the coders to not release patches and run off new talent .......and adolestent tantrum throwing cusing rude posters help the project and casue the coders to release patches and nurture new talent.....that makes sense! Dang I really am impressed with your sides intelectual debating skills. /bow

If you are going to spend the time to try to insult me, please learn how to spell these words:

courteous
adolescent
cursing
cause
intellectual

edit: /bow Deadpoet, I am embarrassed to make that mistake.

Dedpoet
06-18-2003, 07:09 AM
If your going to spend the time to try to insult me, please learn how to spell these words:

If you're going to correct someone else's spelling in a post meant to be an attack, you should make sure you use correct English.

You're is a contraction. The apostrohpe replaces a space and the letter "a" to shorten the word. It means "you are." Your is a possesive used to indicate ownership.

Can we please let this all go?

http://www.thegully.com/essays/puertorico/puertorico_img/deadhorse.jpg

jesterbam
06-18-2003, 07:25 AM
Dedpoet...HAHAHAHAHAHA absolutely the best smack down to date :) /Salute

and fester I have never advocated I can spell only that I have the ability to not pick on neebs, stop reading a post that has no value to me by moving on without comment and to not throw tantrums.

OK.....I have to leave the thread now my co workers are complaining at my outburst of side spliting laughter at adults behaving as rude tantrum throwing children and then actually trying to defend that behavior...to much.

To fester , mr Suspecious and Fryfrog I thank you for one of the best laughs I have had in a long time

and to Dedpoet, Xith, Stratus for adding content that added to the above mentioned offenders total emabarrsment.

BlueAdept
06-18-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by jesterbam

You do realize that you are picking fights with 3 well respected long time contributors to SEQ right?

It is people like you that are keeping people from posting patches. Hell I was ready to walk away from here too because I was almost stupid enough to listen to the rantings of a loser named Kimbler.

If you want to prove your point, DO SOMETHING FOR THE PROJECT instead of just complaining about it. Stop posting this mindless drivel until you actually help in some fashion.

There are quite a few things in the packet structure that need fixing. If programming isnt your speed, how about re-mapping the new Hate or fixing some of the other maps that arent correct or missing. Hell...even sending me spawnlogs will help.

Cheshire_Dragon
06-18-2003, 02:14 PM
WoW, it is amazing how easily a 'word' or 'few words' can be misinterpreted and set someone off. I say I don't have any change to the bum out in from of 7-11 and he screams, 'MOTHERFUCKER' but, uhhh, he is more than likly crazy.
I am going to take the side of the DEV's here. Flame me all you want IF you think they or I are wrong.
I have been part of Project SEQ since it started way back 3yrs ago. Hmmm, I will restate that: I have been USING SEQ since it started or a few months after. Sometime in mid '99 I think it was. This is my first post EVER. I never even posted on the old board when It was run at HackersQuest.org or whatever it was. Reason why I have been a lurker and staying quiet is because I know exactly what I am doing. Here is a typical(in my house), lets say WEEK of a damaged SEQ due to a patch:

1) I check the boards for already asked questions. Its called a 'search'..Have you clicked it today?

1a) OK. IF search did not help or you can not find what you are looking for then go out to your car and get the manual. Look in tha back of the book in the index and look at all the short one word searches! WoW, a search engine without a computer. Amazing! Find what you are looking for and if you interperate it correclty it will tell you the page to look for it on. Flip to that page and congradulate yourself...you did a search that required no electricity except brain power.

1b) IF nothing is there because the issue is too new, then I sit and wait a few days for something to pop up.

2) IF I find the issue that BEST fits in with mine...I read the post and fix SEQ accordingly.

3) Hey its like the iMAC..."There is no step 3."

This is to the Developers:
I would like you to thank me for using the 'Search' button...hehehe J/K. Project SEQ is one of the most amazing programs I have ever seen. In the FEW years I have been doing IT work I have seen very few free source programs work as well SEQ. Keep up the good work. From now on I will try to post more to help out and to save your time from the many, uhhh, I do not want to label them and look like and ass. It is all mixed.
You have people that are just plain mad and flame all day. Whether they have no life or the people they know in real life would kick their ass, they are only here to start problems. Others are just ignorant, stewpid or have emotional issues and get all worked up before they post.

OK, now for my half-assed rant! I try to keep them clean and accurate but, I am not perfect and never said I was.
Mr. Suspicious, yes he does come off as a jerk sometimes and he has damn good reason to when he does. I use the search button and have never had to post. Therefore Mr. Suspicious has never bitched at me for anything I have posted because I RTFM and SEARCH. They are two very easy things to do! The reason I posted what I did in '1a' is because it would take you longer to go out to your car and find something then it would to type in one or a few words into the search box and click find. Not only that but when I bought my BMW X5 I needed to figure out how to open the gas tank when I ran that first tank out. That truck has so many buttons in it I thought there was a button to open the tank. So I searched around the car, did not find a button so I RTFM and behold I found how to open the gas cap. For you simple minded people I already knew how to open the gas cap but, do you now see how easy it is to find questions for your answers? People just can not seem to help themselves anymore. The DEV's give you EQ on a silver platter and you want gold! If you want gold then go mine for it yourself. That is the fucking message here! Do something for yourself for a change. IF you hate SEQ so bad cause it does not work then 'FIX IT YOU'RE FUCKING SELF!' or 'WAIT UNTIL ITS PATCHED' That has been said before. That is why i quote those two lines. I heard it the first time from the old HackersQuest board...Know what I did? I took that IT knowledge of mine and used it to search and sift through EQ packets and figure out some of the codes. Incorporate, compile, run. IT WORKS!! I don't do much anymore because I am not much of an EQ player as I used to be. I am getting bored now so, in conclusion, I am at work. I will get back to doing what I do best and leave it up to the few whiners, who were so good at reading instructions on how to install Linux in order to use SEQ, to get back to what they do best; Cry their lives away until SEQ works. I hope you don't act like this normally. God forbid you take a trip to Vegas and they do not have a spa tub in your room.

-Cheshire Dragon

Ratt
06-18-2003, 07:44 PM
I'm about to move this thread to R6...

But first, I want to correct a few things:

1. The windows versions of SEQ were not made because of "mean people" on the boards, they were made as FryFrog said, because it was a natural evolution of a keysniffer. This was a big "duh." If you don't know what I mean by that, search the boards. The last time someone got pissed at the bitchy people and made WinSEQ was 3 years ago, and it was Acid (and WyvernX?) ... Since then, all the people complaining about the "mean people" have not been even close to their caliber.

2. I don't want multiple posts asking the answer to the same qustion. This is not because of space... as has been said, it doesn't take up much space at all. It's because you get five million hits back for a question with nothing but bullshit in them... then you need to wade through those five million messages to find the one message where the question was originall asked (and answered) and solve your problem. The more people that ask the same question, the harder it is to find the answer. That is somewhat counter intuitive, I realize; It is still a fact of life. Get use to it. Use the search first.

b.) Mr. Suspicious: bite me. I haven't had the time to contribute to *this* particular project because there's a thing that adults have called "REAL LIFE", especially when they become parents which I hope you never do.

I am an adult. I have a real life, yet somehow I find time to do things with this project, and several other projects I work on. It's called a hobby; this is part of the thing you call "REAL LIFE." You choose to spend you free time doing something else while I and others choose to spend (parts of) our free time working on the project. How that is not defined as "real life," I do not know. Unless you mean that people who spend time doing things you don't have an interest in doing as not having a real life. If that's so, I feel sorry for your world view and I firmly believe that it is you who should never foster children as you would instill them with one of worst types of ideals; namely that anyone different is "bad" or "subhuman." This will lead to other serious problems in the future.

4:

In the past, the hostile nature of these forums, and the IRC channel have been acceptible because the code contributions came form a small group of insiders. Now that we rely on outside contributions to get updates and patches it is probably a good idea to keep the flaming to a minimum and concentrate on making positive contributions to the effort.

This is mostly true. I would also like to add to this that in the past SEQ was not intended for the neophyte audience. Since the advent of the WinSEQ's, this has basically changed and is now accessable to the script kiddies of the world over. Much like Sony, if we at PSEQ try to push our heads in the sand and say "It ain't so," we're liable to get clobbered. The fact of the matter is, SEQ is here for the masses, so we might as well embrace it, run with it, and guide it in the most responsible direction as possible. Something Sony should have learned a long time ago.

5. The RTFM/Search folks have valid points. Perhaps some of them get rabid about it on occasion. On flip side, there always seems to be a rabid "WTF WHY YOU TELL ME 2 SEARCH D00D" waiting in the wings. It's a fairly balanced system as far as that goes, not that it's helpful to either side in the end. jesterbam is a shining example of the masses of clueless people who just want to bitch and want a free handout. Xith, as least, provided *something* of (questionable?) value. Whether or not it's actually valuable is beside the point; He did it in good faith and made the effort. Jesterbam is just here to bitch.

That's about all I have to say...

Before I click submit, though:

The next motherfucker to say "It's just a game, chill" or something similar gets banned. Yes, I'm serious. If you're going to flame, at least be good at it... pulling out that tired old cliche is worthy of a banning. It's not "Just a game." It's a hobby (or a way of life for some people), and most people I know can get pretty passionate about their hobbies (sports teams, anyone?). "Just a game" is a game of Candyland with your kid. If you want "Just a game," don't play EQ. As I tried to illustrate above, just because YOU may not find EQ or SEQ as facinating as the next person doesn't mean others are wrong. If you think so, it's YOU who are wrong.

BlueAdept
06-18-2003, 09:35 PM
D00d...ItZ JuZt a.....Never mind...I like my addiction...Im not going to get banned from here over it :).

Lets take the war of words to helping SEQ instead of bitching about it. Stop bitching about RTFM and contribute something to SEQ instead. Then there will probably be less RTFM bitching.

Hell...If I can pick up C++ after almost 20 years since I last programmed in it and try to make a better filters, you guys can put some effort into it to correct some of the areas that are lacking.

Xith, this isnt ment as a flame. At least you tried to contribute...even though similar things have been posted several times.

uncleubb
06-18-2003, 11:47 PM
Wow. Every time Ratt becomes compelled to post something like this I find myself rather impressed. It is a damn good thing this project is headed by someone like Ratt rather than some also-ran. I have been very impressed with the seer-like foresight that has been displayed in connection with the SoE battle.

It is sad that Ratt has to waste time and mental energy laying down the law and keeping the peace on these boards.

Ah well... Learn 'em good sah. :)

-uu