PDA

View Full Version : SourceForge's CVS server sucks ass

Amadeus
06-15-2003, 01:42 PM
I wish they'd either upgrade or fucking shut down whoever is hosing down the damn CVS servers at sourceforge. I'm so sick of seeing error messages from the cvs servers at sourceforge I could kill druids. Working on this or MQ either one requires an amount of patience that would drive a southern fundamentalist to drink.

Logging in to :pserver:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/seq
CVS password:
cvs [login aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
Logging out of :pserver:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/seq
cvs logout: Entry not found.

Yes..look at all the messages we have to consult!

fryfrog
06-15-2003, 10:06 PM
I'm with you on this one, it is a quite annoying error and a substantial pain in the ass. One must also keep in mind they do this for free though. Does sf.net have a faster, paid for development ... what ever you call the bug tracking, web hosting and cvs access they give ... environment?

Seems like a possible use of donations :)

Cryonic
06-16-2003, 12:37 AM
This should also show just how popular this site is becoming for projects. Those messages seem to come when the cvs servers aren't able to handle any more connections at that time. Now, of course, the question is, is this specific to just a few projects or to CVS in general on sf.net.

I guess one way around this for projects is to try and make timely tar.gz files instead of trying to rely on the CVS server to handle the load.

Amadeus
06-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Ok...I'm ok with the notion that this is free and it's going to be shitty. But, maybe they could give us the option to buy a GOLD account for SEQ or MQ or whatever that would put us on a different CVS server than the rest ;)

fryfrog
06-16-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
I guess one way around this for projects is to try and make timely tar.gz files instead of trying to rely on the CVS server to handle the load.

Cryonic has a pretty good point. A couple of tar.gz files released on the files page would actually go a long way to keeping users off of CVS. Perhaps if more projects did this, CVS would also be less used and therefore more stable :)

Cheshire_Dragon
06-19-2003, 11:02 AM
I agree on a tar.gz format. That CVS is just run down lately and it would keep it clean. Heck, I even offer to be a mirror site. I have the space and the transfer speeds.

The CON would be that people just hit the CVS to update. I am only talking SEQ here not SF.net as a whole. EVERYONE updates and only if you need a fresh complete copy then you D/L the entire program. OR would only the updates be in the tar.gz file? OR there could be a page with mirror links with two options:

1) ShowEQ(full)
2) ShowEQ(2003/6/19updt)

or something similar....OK I am getting ahead of myself....

Cryonic
06-19-2003, 12:32 PM
I would think something along the lines of nightly tar.gz files and release files would be enough.

I don't know if SF.net allows turning off anonymous cvs checkout. If it did, turning that off would stop people from just blindly continueing to use it to get updates.