PDA

View Full Version : Segfaults and showeq

malibustacey
01-21-2002, 01:58 AM
Why do segfaults seem to get worse as this project goes on ?

Lower guk segfaults nearly everytime, Over there is like every time, Kithicor is nearly everytime. It seems nearly every zone you go to it can seg faut now, and some zones just stuff up constantly. Does anyone else encounter this ?

Yendor
01-21-2002, 09:35 AM
I keep hearing this but am not seeing it myself. Played all day the past couple days and was in maybe 12 zones or more and only segfaulted once. Might try a fresh build of seq after rerunning "make -f Makefile.dist", configure, make, make install.
Sometimes people just do a CVS update then remake and an unstable seq gets made because structures change and different files get made out of sync to others.

RavenCT
01-21-2002, 11:28 AM
This is just my 2cp, but I've found that if I'm starting to seg fault, I rename my /usr/local/share/showeq directory, rename my showeq and showeqdblib bianaries and rename my /root/showeq directories...

Then I do a completely new pull of the CVS tree and build it... Fixes it almost every time... From there all I need to do is put my config files back (filters, etc...) and any "new" maps...

malibustacey
01-22-2002, 05:13 PM
I have tried the following :

deleteing showeq in /usr/local/share/showeq and deleting the binaries, making clean in the cvs then all the normal stuff.

I have tried getting rid of everything then downloading cvs again for a fresh install. Segfaults still happen in all zones I specified and my friends have the same problem to. What version of QT and gcc do you have Yendor ? I have the min specs but I was just wondering. I am running slack 7.1 aswell ...

OT and lguk are really bad, they segfault with a vengance.

fryfrog
01-22-2002, 05:17 PM
i can only say that running redhat 7.2 and mandrake 8.1, i experience little to very few... to nearly no seg faults. are you sure you are using "co showeq"? cause the older 3.x line of showeq seg faulted on me all the time. that said, i HAVE seen is seg fault in keal once or twice, but thats all i can think of.

malibustacey
01-22-2002, 06:03 PM

malibustacey
01-22-2002, 08:02 PM
Is this normal when running ShowEq ?

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0". ?

vylesilencer
01-24-2002, 01:31 AM
I have the same problem. LGuk will not decrypt for me for anything. I segfault everytime. OT decrypts sometimes.. bout half and half.. another zone that WILL NOT decrypt, no matter what I do is Lake Rathe. There are some spawns in there that I need to work with and Ive tried everything. Other zones like Rathe Mtns, Permafrost, Everfrost, on and on.. decrypt everytime.

Whats also interesting is that I cannot find matching mapfiles for these zones, but prior to the segfault the map shows..? Have you looked to see if you have .map files for the zones that are segfaulting for you? Maybe Im just blind..

Where can I get individual map files that are V4 compliant?

Dr_Madd
04-22-2002, 07:03 PM
im not sure what the exact terms are but...

when i zone into guk,

all the mobs are "unknown" and nothing seems to come up on map.

is this what everyone is taking about?

using mandrake 8.2

LordCrush
04-23-2002, 08:19 AM
BTW make shure something pops in the zone to start decryption. After Zone in it is nessecary to get somthing spawn or despawn for seq bruteforce the key. if you can make a pet - cast it and seq wil decrypt after getting the key - that depends on your PC. :D

You can kill some MOB for getting seq decrypt. But you should do that in the first minute after zone in ...

Regards

- Lord Crush

Mr. Magoo
04-23-2002, 06:03 PM
Ok its getting bad, at first there were flames when you got a seg fault but now there seems to be no fix for it. I have reinstalled RH multiple times and still getting seg faults even after a fresh configure. Ran the updates and tried multiple ways to install it and still get seg faults. Any help at all would be great

the last error message i got was

a_small_mushroom 30(2272) has already been removed from the zone before we processed it.
segmentation fault

bonkersbobcat
04-23-2002, 06:33 PM
I sometimes get crashes as well.

It is not very often, maybe once or twice a week.

When it does crash it is usually after I have been in a zone for a while and after the zone has decoded.

Overall SEQ is quite stable. I leave it up and running for days at a time. I basically run it until it crashes or I have to recompile it with updates. (No, I don't play EQ all the time, I just don't bother to shut SEQ down when I stop playing EQ.)

I have noticed that when it crashes and I restart it, I have to zone to get it to start showing my position again.

SEQ has always required you to rezone to get decode to work again, but historically you used to be able to fire it back up after a crash and immediately start geting your position information along with the position info for other (undecoded) mobs.

This problem seemed to start occuring around the time of the changes that allowed you to restore zone state upon restart. I suspect something got broken there.

LordCrush
04-23-2002, 11:23 PM
I donīt get these error after a segfault. I see my position normally after a restart. I was until now not successfull with the restartoption, but i have not tried long ... about 10 mins :D

Seq is normally very stable - I have running 2 or 3 instances on my linux box and we have only 2 o 3 segfaults per week with 3 to 4 h playtime every day :p, btw we leave it running all the time too, but i ever do a fresh download before i compile it...

Perhaps you should have a look on your showeq.conf and compare it with the newest showeq.conf.dist. There are some changes, i donīt know wether it can cause seq segfault if some options are missing or have inalid values - just a thought.

Regards

- Lord Crush

fyodorst
04-24-2002, 10:17 AM
I haven't had that many problems. Usually I just zone out and back or camp real quick and blame lag. These kind of bugs can sometimes be very hard to find in a program this size, assuming its seq's bug. If it is a bug, best of luck to the devs.

showeq_user_00
10-12-2002, 02:28 PM
I'm getting this error quite frequently.

Kermit
10-18-2002, 01:19 PM
I have been using SEQ for a few months and everything worked quite well... until it started crashing (didn't change a darn thing)... now I can't run it for more than 5 minutes without it just closing... I tried doing a completely fresh install of seq, and that worked for the first few hours and now it is back to crashing every 5 minutes... I am running SEQ ver 4.2.15 on Mandrake 8.2 with qt2.3.2 and gcc-3.0.4

-David

S_B_R
10-18-2002, 02:18 PM
I can't remember the last time I had a seg fault in SEQ...

Cryonic
10-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Could be a possible hardware failure if you truly didn't change anything.

Kermit
10-18-2002, 11:31 PM
I will check my network card... memory too... could one of the patches have tweaked something? if other people are having similar problems, the odds seem slim (though not zero) that it is a hardware issue... ?

-David

bonkersbobcat
10-19-2002, 01:47 AM
It's been very stable for me for the last few patches.

h0bbit
10-19-2002, 11:27 AM
Ive been slowly getting more and more seg faults, and its pretty much unusable for me right now. Once in a while I can run SEQ, zone, have it decode, and be ok. Its usually when nobody is in a zone. Seems like the more people in a zone causes my box to seg fault.

Are there minimum processor requirements? I am running this on a slow PC (Pentium 200mmx with 128MB ram). UWSCSI hard drives tho so its better than your average P200mmx.

Think i will try a new PC for my linux box...

Cryonic
10-19-2002, 11:55 AM
I run it on a P150 laptop without issues.

Kermit
10-20-2002, 09:42 AM
And I run it on a PIII 750 with 256MB of RAM and it is unusable due to the crashes... I might just wipe my whole box and try it again...

-D

baelang
10-20-2002, 12:33 PM
so it's not just me, eh?

The seg faults seem to happen to me when a player zones in. happens more often in some zones than others, and dosen't always happen.

if i start showeq again with the --restore-all option it will immediately crash every time.

I have a redhat 7.2 system that i purchaced and keep "up2date" via RHN.

hope that helps. i can probably post a gdb backtrace if that would help.

Seems to have gotten worse as time goes on. a few months ago it hardly ever crashed for me. Yesturday i deleted everything showeq related, got a fresh CVS, blew away the /usr/local/share/showeq directory, and re-downloaded libEQ.a (which still matches the same md5sum posted on the main page here.) still the same behavior.

today i will recompile QT and seq. if that dosen't work, i will start removing unneeded hardware to see if it is a hardware problem. wish i had another box to try it on.

EDIT:
recompiling QT didn't help, but i did find out something that was causing my crashes, and posted here:
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2057
not sure what the fix is other than not running in PvP mode on the maps. PvP mode on the spawnlist works fine.

Kermit
10-20-2002, 03:25 PM
changing the pvp option worked for me too! woot... but I play on a PvP server and it is real handy to have those who are fair game flashing on the screen... there a work around for this that will enable pvp to work?

h0bbit
10-21-2002, 11:45 AM
So i completely scratched my SEQ and started over, still having same issues.

When i first ran it I happened to be in Jagged Pines which came up, decoded, and I figured it was working sweet. No seg faults till i got to bazaar. From there, it was all over. I start it back up, zone to nexus, crash. Start it up, zone to Neth Lair, crash. Etc, it just continued in every luclin zone.

It would crash on different things each time, usually it was "so and so was removed from the zone before we could process it" seg fault. Or, SEQ would find a key, then crash.

I also am on a PvP server, wonder if that has anything to do with it. There is some custom code on the pvp servers.

baelang
10-21-2002, 12:43 PM
turn off the pvp options on the map display, but you can leave it on in the spawns list.

that worked for me.

of course, the PoP patch today broke SEQ completely. we will have to wait for the developers to suss out the new ecnryption scheme.

darkangelx
10-21-2002, 01:18 PM
http://seq.sourceforge.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2047

sort of a fix... map only take what you can get.

h0bbit
10-21-2002, 02:24 PM
I never have pvp options enbaled on the map, didnt know they existed till just now.

sunta
10-22-2002, 05:51 PM
segfault solved?

im sure u use wrong Qt

h0bbit
10-24-2002, 12:26 PM
How could that be possible, if it had rarely seg faulted in the last 3 months. Nothing has changed on my box, it doesnt even reboot.