PDA

View Full Version : yet another makefile question

Loquin
06-21-2003, 02:39 PM
[root@localhost showeq]# make -f Makefile.dist
adding libtool support................................... done!
generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in and acinclude.m4....make[1]: *** [no-backup] error 1
make: *** [all] error 2
[root@localhost showeq]#

that's what i'm getting after freshly installing qt-3.0.5 and g++-3.1

I did a complete intall using Mandrake 9.1 i've searched everything I can think of before posting and found lots of answers to many questions but this one is completely stumping me and I can't seem to find the problem. I'm not sure what other info I can give you...system is p3 500mhz 256ram.

I already expect to get flamed but i'm hoping I can get lucky and someone will at least point me to a post that can help me as I cannot seem to locate one for my situation...or i found it and didn't realize it. Thank you

Loquin
06-21-2003, 05:35 PM
okay found this link after a while of searching

http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3027&highlight=makefile.dist

has some great info.....however I cannot seem to find a place to download the RPMS....WWW.RPMFIND.COM doesn't seem to be up so I found another site full of RPMS that won't allow me to download

I am being told when I try to safe or open that it cannot connect to localhost. I am very new linux but i'm guessing the problem is with my computer. I've downloaded a few things today trying to get SEQ to work this is the first time i've been stopped from downloading. Going to keep looking for answers of course but thought I'd try to fish some information from the experts while i'm searching. Thank you in advance if you decide to throw me a hint.

Loquin
06-21-2003, 05:46 PM
I couldn't find any RPMS to download so I tried to skip that part and didnt' get very far so I assume I need to get the RPMs...will continue to look...

I did however find libpcap0 in with the Mandrake distribution but the other 3 are still out of my reach.

fester
06-21-2003, 08:31 PM
I am not sure why you could not find the answer to this question. It isn't like the same question isn't asked every week:

17/6/03 http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3581&highlight=nobackup
7/6/03
23/5/03
27/4/03
25/4/03
23/4/03

It all comes down to the same problem the vast majority of times. The error YOU reported means you didn't follow the directions. Either you didn't install one of the needed tools, you installed them in a non standard location, you installed an incompatible version, or something similar.

I get frustrated seeing the same error every couple days from people who didn't try to search. I also notice that the question does not always get answered and some people are too lazy to wade through the top 10 "RTFM" posts to get to the point where the answer is available.

In an effort to answer the question for those who would rather not spend one second trying to help themselves, I have decided to fully explain what this error means. Please post any corrections anyone else may feel neccessary.

Whenever running Gnu Make, if you get an error of this form:

make[1]: *** [targetn] error ERREXIT
make: *** [target1] error ERREXIT

The code "target1" is the first target you selected. When you do not specify a target "all" is selected. You will notice in the file "Makefile.dist", there is a "all" target.

The ellipsis can be any number of nested error results initiated by the error in "targetn" above.

The code "targetn" represents the first error reported.

The "ERREXIT" numerical values represent the error code reported by a command issued inside the "targetx" block (where x is the value from 1 to n.)

In your specific case, some command issued in block "no-backup" failed. It would be the command immediately following:

@echo -n "Generating aclocal.m4 from configure.in and acinclude.m4...."
@echo -e "\n*!* aclocal *!*" >> Makefile.dist.dbg
@aclocal >> Makefile.dist.dbg 2>&1
@echo "!*! aclocal !*!" >> Makefile.dist.dbg
@echo " done!"

When you examine your Makefile.dist.dbg (if you bothered looking there) you would likely notice "*!* aclocal *!*" as one of the last lines.

It is VERY likely there is no "!*! aclocal !*!" in your Makefile.dist.dbg file.

Logically the ONLY command to have generated the error is aclocal.

Your error was 1 (the exit value of 1 means failure; exit value 127 is common for "command not found" errors.)

I would examine your aclocal installation. Install it if you didn't yet or reinstall it (or the CORRECT version) otherwise.

Zoolander
06-21-2003, 10:50 PM
Most, if not all, the RPM files you needs are on the RedHat CDs you used to install. Look there. You can also go to goole and type in the name of the RPM you need.

fryfrog
06-22-2003, 03:30 PM
he mentioned he was using mandrake. i just finished setting up mandrake 9.1 with excalibur for my sister. when i couldn't find the right rpms on the first two cds, i just hopped onto ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/linux/Mandrake/9.1/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/ and grabbed what i needed.

libpcap0 and libpcap0-devel are there, as is everything else you need. some creative "ls *something*" may be needed to help you find it as some things are named odly (like the python devel headers are libpython-devel / libpython, not just "python-devel".

Zoolander
06-22-2003, 06:55 PM
Ah, missed the Mandrake part. RPM just means RedHat to me. :)

wfj5444
06-27-2003, 01:02 PM
Mandrake = Redhat++

(well ok, its a super set of Redhat but I don't have a key for super set :D )