PDA

View Full Version : Proper use of a XBox ;P

Ben4540
06-27-2003, 06:11 PM
Everquest Account Account, 12,95 $ / month
Xbox modded / Linux, 250 $

running showeq ON THE XBOX in a remote X window and eqw on the same screen, PRICELESS ;P

Just wanted to share this ) If you got a xbox laying around you might want to consider this )

1. Mod Xbox for Linux (search for Linux and Xbox on google)
2. Get Gentoo Distribution for XBox (called Gentoox) from ttp://gentoox.shallax.com/ and follow installation instructions.
3. Install Cygwin and setup SSH / X11
4. Install missing libcap in gentoox
5. Download, Compile, Run

Screenshot showing EQ session + x11 session from Xbox

You can also show the map etc on the TV Screen if needed

Have Fun :)

edit: OK can't get the picture attached, have to figure it out tomorrow.

PS: This isn't supposed to be an advert for the xbox, but it's just funny to get some extra use out if it.

KaL
06-27-2003, 08:41 PM
I have ShowEQ being displayed on one of these:

http://www.ia1hacking.com/about/articles/images/ia1.gif

I have a Linux box (ordinary PC) running ShowEQ, watching 3 different EQ sessions. One of them is served up on the Compaq IA-1 (pictured above). The IA-1 cost me $100 a couple years ago, but you can probably get them for $50 now. If you have a Compact Flash reader, you can put a small Linux distro on it and serve up your ShowEQ session, like I did (or whatever you want to use it for). Works very nice as my girlfriend's ShowEQ machine. Would also work nicely as a living room media control center, or a bedroom email station or whatever.

KaL

LordCrush
06-28-2003, 05:47 AM
I have VNC on my linux Box and watch showeq from a 2nd pc :) -- up to 3 sessions ;)

cbreaker
06-30-2003, 03:11 AM
Gentoo on the xbox now? NICE. Nothing personal against Debian, but it's nice to keep all my linux boxes the same distribution to keep things simple.

Thanks for the tip.

Ben4540
07-01-2003, 03:06 AM
its working so great, just run x-win32 on your windows machine

and using putty to ssh into my xbox linux

than start programms and enjoy them like normal applications on your windows pc (almost) :)

I still couldn't figure out where to upload my pictures, so if anybody got room plz let me know.

cbreaker
07-01-2003, 04:53 PM
Of course you could do that from any unix box, but, it makes more sense just to run the applications on the unix boxs' display since your windows box will be displaying Everquest..