PDA

View Full Version : RedHat 9 error

Curve
07-06-2003, 09:04 PM
Ok so Ive given up on FreeBSD and Im told RedHat 9 is ready to go out of the box but Im getting an error when configuring. It says "configure: error: cannot find pcap_open_live in libpcap." anyone have any ideas?

Cryonic
07-06-2003, 09:35 PM
Yes. You don't have all the packages needed for SEQ. Read the FAQ and the install files.

Curve
07-06-2003, 09:54 PM
you may very well be right. However I do have tcpdump, which is what libpcap is...so that still doesnt help me.

Dedpoet
07-07-2003, 06:25 AM
This is the list of packages from the INSTALL.newbies file that you need to have installed. Without all of these packages, Seq will not work:

XFree86-devel
XFree86-libs
autoconf
automake
gcc3
gcc3-c++
libpcap
libstdc++3
libstdc++3-devel
libgcc
zlib
zlib-devel
gd
gd-devel
gdbm
gdbm-devel
pine **for pico
kernel-headers
glibc-devel
cvs
patch
make
m4
libtool
libtool-libs
binutils
libpng
libpng-devel
libjpeg
libjpeg-devel
libmng
libmng-devel
freetype

You are missing one or more of them. From your post, libpcap looked like the most obvious, but if you say you have it, we have no choice but to believe you since we have no other way of knowing. Check this list. I promise it works if you install those packages.

Cryonic
07-07-2003, 10:40 AM
actually tcpdump is not libpcap.

rpm -qa | grep tcpdump
rpm -qa | grep libpcap

Curve
07-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Ignore me, Im retarded :p

SuperFly
07-11-2003, 10:41 AM
I am having a simular problem for about the last month and just have never gotten around to posting about it for suggestions.

Anyway I am running RH9 and have had SEQ up and going since I installed RH9. After the last time I patched SEQ I started getting seg faults when I run SEQ. Anyway the only reason this made me think of my problem is I started trying to trace back the segment fault through GDM and it gave me error messages on my libpcap package.

To start with I was using the version of libpcap that came with Ethereal. Since I started getting the seg faults I have removed ethereal and libpcap and reinstalled libpcap-0.7.2 and I am still getting the seg faults. Anyone have any ideas of things I could try to get this resolved?

Superfly

who_me_use_seq
07-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Just a wild off the wall suggestion here, but have you tried searching....oh... for example on "seg fault"? I just did and your question is answered in the first 4 threads that come up (discounting this thread)

SuperFly
07-11-2003, 03:51 PM
You know if it had been that easy I think even you could of answerd it...

Been there done that, but thanks for playing

fester
07-11-2003, 11:50 PM
No idea why you think seg faulting has anything to do with the version of libpcap you have installed? At this point, after 20 years, I doubt there is any chance libpcap is seg faulting you.