PDA

View Full Version : Installing on mac os x

zerok
07-12-2003, 06:46 AM
Has anyone tried to install SEQ on Mac OS X?
I'm have limited knowledge of unix, and I get errors when I try to install:

# make -f Makefile.dist
Adding libtool support......................................make[1]: *** [no-backup] Error 127
make: *** [all] Error 2

So before I mess up my system, is it known to be possible?

thanks,
zerok

fester
07-12-2003, 07:50 AM
This error gets posted about once a week by someone.

I recently wrote a rather involved description of this error, go search for that post.

zerok
07-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Yes thank you, I've search and found descriptions of the error.
Yet I am still interested in hearing from people who have tried installing on the OS X platform.

S_B_R
07-12-2003, 01:14 PM
I would be extremely surprised if you could get SEQ to compile on OS X without remworking the code... There are big differences in processor architecture between x86 and PPC.

But then again, I'm not a Coder or an EE so...... Good Luck ;)

zerok
07-13-2003, 05:39 AM
Well OS X runs on a bsd core, and other linux/unix/bsd programs have compiled and worked on my system.
It is a hazle to get working though.
I think I'll try installing on virtual pc instead...

LordCrush
07-13-2003, 09:08 AM
VMWare works fine .. i use it for testing =)

eklynx
01-03-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm seeing what i can do so far... that error is because it libtoolize is glibtoolize. i just made a link from glibtoolize in the /usr/bin directory.. now i'm working on qt (mac wont make so shared libraries from the qt installation, trying the fink install (fink.sourceforge.net))

Will update if i get anywhere...

-EKLynx-

Cryonic
01-04-2004, 02:54 AM
The real issues are going to crop up later in the build process with byte-order Endianess of the PPC architecture vs the x86 architecture. This issue might be made worse under G5 processors (with the mixed 32 and 64 bit instructions)

S_B_R
01-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Yep, This isn't a case where you can simply fulfill the dependancies and make it work...