PDA

View Full Version : More of a Linux question...

ieatacid
07-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Not a huge problem, but this just annoys me:

I want to change the screen saver timout to, say, 60 minutes. 5 is way to short. But when i go to the screen saver config section i get an error. And if i change anything, it still uses the same old settings. This is what the error says:

Warning:

xscreensaver-demo: 17:52:13 is running as user "root" on host "localhost.localdomain".
But the xscreensaver managing display ":0.0" is running as user "nobody" on host "localhost.localdomain".

Since they are different users, they won't be reading/writing the same ~/.xscreensaver file, so xscreensaver-demo: 17:52:13 isn't going to work right.

You should either re-run xscreensaver-demo: 17:52:13 as "nobody", or re-run xscreensaver as "root".

Restart the xscreensaver daemon now?

[Ok] [Cancel]

I know it says to
either re-run xscreensaver-demo: 17:52:13 as "nobody", or re-run xscreensaver as "root".
but how would i do that?

Any help is appreciated.

Ratt
07-18-2003, 08:37 AM
#xset s 3600

Or change the number of seconds to something you desire.

ieatacid
07-18-2003, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply, that doesn't work either :confused:

fryfrog
07-18-2003, 05:45 PM
if you are running as a user, before you do your sudo su or just su... doing a "xset s off" then "xset -dpms" will keep your monitor from going into screen saver or monitor power savings mode.

you may have to do this as the user you log in as, not as root... depending on your x setup i guess. i'm bad, i just have seq on one of my computers so i do what one shouldn't and log in as root :)