PDA

View Full Version : RedHat8 - new install - clarification requested

buhgin
07-18-2003, 10:52 AM
I've been lurking for several days now and pouring over the FAQ, Search, and INSTALL.Newbies.

Here is the network configuration that I would like to shoot for. My objective is to leave my wife's computer alone. Additionally, I'm not entirely comfortable with network configuration and network protocols. I am trying to change as little as possible on my network while getting a ShowEQ box running. I believe that I will have NO problem with the configuration below. The NIC that RedHat8 is using is eth0 and MyComputer is connected to eth1. When I configure showEQ to listen to packets...do I tell it to listen on eth0 or eth1?

Internet
|
Cable Modem
|
Wife computer (Win98-Internet connection sharing-2 NICs)
|
Linksys HUB (links to RedHat8 and Kids CPU)
|___________________|
RedHat8(SEQ-2NICs) Kids Computer(Win98)
|
MyComputer (Win98 - EQ)

When I installed RedHat8..it defaults to the Gnome desktop. Is KDE desktop preferrred for showEQ or does this not matter at all? On my first attempt at RedHat8 install, I took the default Gnome and didn't know enough to select the development packages. I have completely reinstalled RedHat8 this morning at work and this time I chose KDE desktop and also the development packages.

Thanks very much to all of you contributers and developers. Your posts have inspired me to give linux a shot and to read, search, read, re-read, and search.

----------------
Edit:
One of the NICs in my wife's computer is already set to 192.168.0.1. I just need to be sure that the NICs inside the RedHat8 box, right? Anything else I should know? Of all the stuff required to set up RedHat8 and showEQ...the network config part is the part I dread the most and understand least.

S_B_R
07-18-2003, 12:04 PM
First let me clear up your network diagram

Internet
|
Cable Modem
|
Wife's Computer
|
---Linksys Hub---
| |
eth0 |
| |
Redhat Kid's PC
|
eth1
|
MyComputer

Listen to eth1 and listen for the IP address of your "MyComputer"

uncleubb
07-18-2003, 03:05 PM
I've got to say, I think you're life will be easier if you do this:

Internet
|
Cable Modem
|
----------Router----------
| | |
--Linksys Hub-- Kid's PC Wife's PC
| |
Redhat Your PC

That way you don't have to deal with win98 ICS -- your router will handle it all. Plus you get the added benefit that most routers have a firewall. Each PC can either be set up to recieve an IP dynamically (requiring that you would check Your PC to see what ip to listen for) or you could have static ips assigned to each PC.

This way if your "Wife's PC" goes down, no one else is affected. Each computer only would need one ethernet card. At some point this will make your life more simple I promise.

Yeah the other way should work, but sheesh... Heh.

Jel321
07-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Lookng at his diagram i dont see a router in there, prolly the reason for the ICS. It would be well worth the money for the router though and thenuse the set uncle laid out.

Pretty much exactly what i have and it works like a charm.

S_B_R
07-18-2003, 08:17 PM
uncleubb's suggestion is definately better than what you have now. The only potential gotcha is the "Linksys Hub". As you can find out by searching these forums, 99.9% of linksys hubs are in fact switches. A switch will keep you from sniffing the EQ packets in uncleubb's configuration.

Here's a third option for your network configuration

Internet
|
Cable Modem
|
Redhat
|
----Linksys Hub----
| | |
YourPC Kid'sPC Wife'sPCThis configuration isn't really any more coplicated than your current setup. It would however require due diligence to keep your linux box secure, through patches and configuration.