PDA

View Full Version : CVS still not working.. anyone able to post a dummie guide?

Elvampira
08-06-2003, 08:53 AM
kinda sux, I read through the FACKS I read the how to install I took 2 hours to search the message board and nowhere could I find how to make CVS work.. someone said the server has a "hickup".. but he has that since 5 days now.. is that correct? or is it just for me?

thanx for your kind help

AlphaBeta
08-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Didn't search hard enuff hun.. CVS is screwd atm. The only way to make it work is to try over and over and over again untill it works. You may have to kick it off 30 - 60 times before you get a good CVS download.

Elvampira
08-06-2003, 08:59 AM
thank you kindone for replying with helpfull information without flaming me.. very nice of you, I had expected ppl raging about me should do searches..

anyways, just to make sure I am trying 60 times with the right command, is this correct:

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login

?? thanx again

Elvampira
08-06-2003, 09:03 AM
Alpha, might you by chance know of a good way how I can automat the search for CVS command a bit?

something like this

for i < 100 cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login i++ or so?

I am new to linux and have no clue how you do that.. and also have to hit enter at the password confirmation which might not be easy..

the error msg get btw is this:
cvs [login aborted]: connect to cvs.seq.sourceforge.net (66.35.250.207):2401 failed: Connection refused

thanx

AlphaBeta
08-06-2003, 09:04 AM
cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq login

Hit enter for password

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/seq co showeq

AlphaBeta
08-06-2003, 09:10 AM
I just made a text file with the commands in it and called it "getseq.txt". I then run it with the command "bash getseq.txt". When ever it fails I just shift up arrow and hit enter runs it again. never has taken me more than 5 or 10 min of doing this so far to get a clean download. Prolly a way to make it run over and over again but im not a programer or a unix expert by any means. Hope that helps.. <hugs>
:D

Elvampira
08-06-2003, 09:20 AM
it helps.. but how can I get the ente confirmation for the password in the file??

and what is that second line you said b4, with the co showeq at the end? what do I do with it? put it once I sucessfully loged in?

Elvampira
08-06-2003, 09:22 AM
hugs :)

AlphaBeta
08-06-2003, 10:02 AM
I just hit the enter key at the password prompt. Yes the first CVS command logs you in. The second one does the downloads. its all in the FAQ Here (http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html?s=&menu=9)

Elvampira
08-06-2003, 11:00 AM
I have tried 500 times.. it on let me in.. what error msg do ou get alpha?

S_B_R
08-06-2003, 01:07 PM
#!/bin/bash
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.seq.sourceforge.ne t:/cvsroot/seq
WAIT=1
while [ ${WAIT} != 0 ]
do
cvs -z3 co showeq
WAIT=$?
sleep 15
done
cvs logout
exitNotice the extra : before the @, that removes the need to hit enter for the password.

AlphaBeta
08-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Wow thanks S_B_R that even helps me out.

Thanks again.

S_B_R
08-06-2003, 01:21 PM
:D
--edit--
Of course you do realize that script will just contribute to the CVS congestion. :rolleyes:

S_B_R
08-06-2003, 01:33 PM
This is the error message you are probably getting
cvs [checkout aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)

Elvampira
08-07-2003, 08:38 AM
This is the error message you are probably getting

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this isnt the case here.. the msg I get:

cvs [checkout aborted]: connect to cvs.seq.sourceforge.net(66.35.250.207):2401 failed: Connection refused

hehe sux :( I want showeq *sniff*

AlphaBeta
08-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Sounds like you might have another issue then to me.

Elvampira
08-07-2003, 11:21 AM
ok I have tried about 5 hours now with that script and nada...

there must be something else wrong

I use shorewall firewall with prettymuch default configuration
when I try it with sorewall stopped I get the following error msg:

Unknown host cvs.seq.sourceforge.net

hmm could it be something with my DNS is wrong when the firewal is not running? that makes no sense though because I get the DNS by DHCP

bummer.. can anyone help here?

Cryonic
08-07-2003, 11:59 AM
That says that either you can't reach your DNS servers with the firewall down, or they don't have that name in them.

What is doing DHCP? what DNS servers is it putting out? With the firewall down, can you ping the DNS servers, can you nslookup dns entries (e.g. nslookup sourceforge.net)

Elvampira
08-07-2003, 12:06 PM
well if it says connection rejekted as an answer from the CVS server, can it be my fault? or the cvs servers fault?

Elvampira
08-07-2003, 12:23 PM
ok I now added a firewall pollicy (the firewall is based on iptables) that looks like this: all all accept, and now I can download showeq..

can anyone write me a rule to let cvs trhrough when the firewall is running?

thanx alot

Elvampira
08-07-2003, 02:21 PM
god this is starting to piss me off.. if ppl arent able to programm what they want they shouldnt annoy ppl with a stupid CVS server that never works..

why cant I DL it from somewhere else? frigging stupid

now it just keeps breaking either at showeq/src or showeq/maps.. wtf is that crap

Cryonic
08-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Are you sure it is the CVS server. I have no problem checking the code out or doing a cvs update to get the changes (which there haven't been in a few weeks).

Elvampira
08-07-2003, 02:54 PM
well let me tell yu what I did....

I tried for 5 days to get a cvs update.. always got the same error.. then I had success in finding out it was my firewall blocking it.. now I did a accept all all rule in the firewall (still hopinh someone can help me making a specific rule for the IPtable firewall since I am a noob).

finally I get to downlaod the files.. BUT .. nm Ill just parse what I see:

[root@mybox /]# bash m.txt
cvs [checkout aborted]: reading from server: Connection reset by peer
cvs [checkout aborted]: reading from server: Connection reset by peer
cvs server: Updating showeq
cvs server: Updating showeq/conf
cvs server: Updating showeq/doc
cvs server: Updating showeq/maps
cvs server: Updating showeq/src
Logging out of :pserver:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/seq
cvs logout: Entry not found.
[root@mybox /]#

and the script I use to run looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.seq.sourceforge.ne t:/cvsroot/seq
WAIT=1
while [ ${WAIT} != 0 ]
do
cvs -z3 co showeq
WAIT=$?
sleep 5
done
cvs logout
exit

thanx for your help.. its much appreciated
regards

Cryonic
08-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Well,

Just tried this from here at work with:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.seq.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/seq login
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.seq.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/seq co showeq
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous:@cvs.seq.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/seq logout

and it worked. I was able to get the full source for SEQ as it currently stands.

/me ponders about tarballing the code and posting it

Elvampira
08-07-2003, 10:22 PM
sux, had to delet the old showeq folder and then download again

pretty annoying

but worked now I guess, trying

Elvampira
08-07-2003, 10:36 PM
ok.. I found some new stuff out.. when I try to download showeq it works untill the file: /showeq/src/zones.h, then it gives me the following error:

Logging out of :pserver:[email protected]:2401/cvsroot/seq
cvs logout: Entry not found.

I am tiored of fuddling around with that crap, can anyone email me the zones.h file? email is [email protected] please make a clear subject with caps so I can filter it out of my spam wave..

thanx