PDA

View Full Version : specifying ip address

humble1
08-10-2003, 11:26 AM
Want to give a thanks for all the people contributing to the continued use of this great program!

Look, Ive searched... Maybe I havent searched well, but Ive never had to post a question here before, I have always been able to compile and run this with absolutely no problems at all, unless SOE changed something... and that nifty search button found my answers... unfortunately not this time :(

SEQ is running and functions : As long as I dont specify an address to monitor. Monitor Next EQ Client option will work fine, but I run multiple EQ clients, and as soon as 1 of them zones, they get SEQ. I have updated/patched/recompiled without error. I launched SEQ with the eth1 --ip-address=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx option, and nothing happens, I have checked the drop down menus in SEQ and it verifies that the ip address i specified is populated in the Monitor IP field. I have launched SEQ without any options and just put the ip address in that same field... Same thing, nothing. I have Linux running as my router with 7 Wkstns behind it, eth0 is public/ eth1 is lan. In other similar programs to this (other online games) the ip is specified and functions no problem. tcpdump verifies traffic through the linux box on that address. I have changed eth0 and eth1 in seq options to no avail. When I set to monitor next client at the default : eth0, it displays : Client detected (public ip). When I set to monitor eth1 in same situation, it displays : Client detected : (ip set used that I try to set manually). Why is this working when set to monitor all as opposed to monitoring a set address?

Sincerely,
Humble1

S_B_R
08-10-2003, 04:59 PM
Usually that means you are pointing SEQ at the wrong NIC relative to the IP address you are giving it. Make sure if you are specifying the Private NIC you are also specifying the Private IP address.

There is also an option under the "Network" menu called "Session Tracking" try using that when you are using "Monitor Next EQ Client Session".

humble1
08-10-2003, 06:36 PM
eth1 is private side, i point it there, with the private ip

UPDATE: I have just staged another box, RH9, same setup, same results. Only works when set to monitor next EQ client session.

S_B_R
08-11-2003, 07:52 AM
Well the only thing that leaves left is, Make absolutely sure the ip address you are giving seq with the --ip-address=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx option is exactly the same as the EQ client machine.

You'd be surprise how many times some one has come here with a problem similar to yours and swore up and down that they were using the right NIC and the right IP only to find out (after double/triple checking) that they were wrong.

humble1
08-11-2003, 12:58 PM
heres the exact setting
showeq eth1 --ip-address=192.168.0.9

get nothing

public ip is dynamic on eth0, rechecked settings of EQ client to be indeed static 192.168.0.9 (My windows box)

eth1 is set to 192.168.0.1

now when i start seq and monitor next client session, i get this...

Client detected: 192.168.0.9

and it works, that is until i start EQ on another windows box and that new one takes over :(

S_B_R
08-11-2003, 03:02 PM
I think I see your problem, try this:
showeq -i eth1 --ip-address=192.168.0.9

humble1
08-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Thanks, that fixed it. I used to have a startup script for SEQ that used the '-i' but i removed it after i read a post from BA...

One problem might be that it should look like this:
./showeq eth0 --ip-address=192.168.0.30

Your missing the = sign. I dont know if it matters or not. I just put all my settings in the drop down menus of ShowEQ.

had just compiled it and was looking for common problems in case i ran into any... noticed the difference and changed it.

BlueAdept
08-11-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by humble1
./showeq eth0 --ip-address=192.168.0.30

Your missing the = sign. I dont know if it matters or not. I just put all my settings in the drop down menus of ShowEQ.

had just compiled it and was looking for common problems in case i ran into any... noticed the difference and changed it.

Sorry if I mislead you. That was a while back and as I had stated, I didnt use the command line. I had noticed one error in the line that the guy posted and corrected it, but apparently there was another.

humble1
08-12-2003, 06:23 AM
I dont feel misled at all, in fact Im glad I had a place to go to get the help I needed, Ive seen you answer alot of posts with great results. I wasnt stating that you led me the wrong way, only that I believe what you post, and in your post you also stated you put all your info in the drop downs, after i changed it, i never thought again about it. I was only stating where I went wrong and had to come here :) I really appreciate all the efforts that are put into this. So dont feel sorry. Thank you all :)