PDA

View Full Version : RedHat 9 Searching --> Fatal error !!

sea4th
08-14-2003, 01:35 PM
The search button doesn't like the single number "9" (or any single character for that matter). I found that "Redhat AND 9*" will work but "Redhat AND *9*" crashes with following message.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/groups/s/se/seq/htdocs/forums/search.php on line 408

Does it really take 30 seconds or is something else going on?

S_B_R
08-14-2003, 01:42 PM
Answer is cloudy, try again later.

fester
08-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Considering that *9* is an expensive regex and the forums have a large number of posts, I think the error about 30 seconds may be that it actually did exceed 30 seconds in searching. You should have noticed it take a while to present the error.

Dedpoet
08-16-2003, 08:32 AM
What exactly are you trying to find? Ask us that, or search on that, and you may be better off. Or search just thread titles for "Redhat" and then look for 9 manually.

sea4th
08-16-2003, 04:14 PM
Call me lazy but no way am I going to look through 511 'redhat" theads for redhat 9 posts.

What I was looking for was successful installations of RH9 with ShowEQ. I found what I was looking for but so many of the messages here are dismissals which point to "use the search". "Search" is an essential tool but to search requires a knowledge of what you are looking for and how to make the tool work for you. My post was just informational to help prod peeps to use the search and how not to use it or if it needs to be improved with more time to look for single characters (30 seconds seems like an awful lot of cpu time to look at an index table).

Now did I find the specific thing to make SEQ work with RH9 on this forum - no I did not. I found references to "yes I have it running" and references to "use search" way too often -- which I probably will start using to exclude non informative posts related to the topic e.g. "NOT search" .

Did I get RH9 to work with SEQ? You bet I did but I cannot tell you why the first few attempts on a clean install of RH9 failed and why / what I did to finally make it all work. Was it easy? No it took some 30 plus hours of spare time to get RH9 installed and SEQ going which was about the same amount as the other RH7.2 intallation I did some 20 months ago as a complete linux noob. In fairness I did bring up a more complicated hardware system the second time with dual cpus and multiple SCSI drives which contributed to a fair portion of the 30 plus hours. Some of the things I learned that are noted but I cannot vouch for an accurate understanding of them since I am not a linux expert. For example I know the gcc and c++ exports are not needed nor is the editing of the qmake file gcc and g++ to gcc3 and g++3 needed any more since QT 3 is part of the RH9 setup. Also the RH9 installation of the QT libraries goes into a separate place from the ones you download. The RH9 installation I intially setup was missing the moc precompiler or links to where it is. The default RH9 does know about QTDIR and even though it lists it as QT-3.1 it really is QT-3.1.1. And the QT readme I down loaded is more accurate than the onscreen instructions from the QT-3.1 installation the gmake vs make. I also had similar problems in getting SAMBA to work on RH7.2 where RH places the configuration files in a different location than the generic installation from SAMBA.ORG.

Bottom line, I learned a fair amount and have much more to learn -- I am still a student but I am not ready to be a teacher or even an instructional aid for this linux stuff.

I am somewhat saddened that so many questions could be directly answered simply WITH the addition of you can find this by searching for the "essential keys examples" but I can also empathize with the frustration of having to answer the same question over and over. Successful educators never yell - they also don't answer your question either but usually ask another question which "teaches" you how to learn to solve the problem. I don't expect this process of discovery to be easy, nor do I want to be completely hand held through the process -- but denigrating and demeaning rants pollutes this gold mine of information like skunk roadkill on the highway.

Sorry for the long message but I support this forum and as I learn more I will contribute. I hate to contribute to "wrong" information which is much worse than not knowing and some of the information above may be simply wrong so caveat e-mptor applies here.

Dedpoet
08-17-2003, 02:38 PM
I hope you didn't take my post the wrong way. What I meant was that you could search just titles for Redhat, and then scroll through the lists and look at ones that said 9 on them.

The reason there are so few posts with info is that the Redhat install has been mostly the same since 7.2, with mostly just versions changing. With 9, you can install the packages listed in the INSTALL.newbies file, or lots of people these days just install "everything." Personally I don't do that because I like a trim system, but that works. Redhat 9 comes with gcc3, qt3.1.1 (I think), and the proper version of the other things you need (freetype, the graphics libraries, the development headers, libpcap, etc.) to just run straight out of the box doing nothing but grabbing the source and compiling (ok, right -now- you need a couple of patches, but it's not usually like that). When my laptop crashed recently and I didn't want to spend 4 days getting Gentoo back the way I like it, I built it up on Redhat in less than 2 hours. Granted I have done this probably 30 times, but it really is that easy.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, deter you from learning, sour you on these forums, or anything like that. I'm glad that you are interested and learning. The fact that you got a complicated hardware setup running is a tribute to what you're learning here and elsewhere. You are right - there is not a thread called "HOWTO: ShowEQ 4.3.x on Redhat 9." Maybe there should be.

Respectfully,
-Ded