PDA

View Full Version : NIC Cards

Deoen
08-19-2003, 11:32 PM
Are there NIC cards that SEQ will not work with? I have a Digital DEC450. I can get internect connection to work fine with no problems. But I can not get SEQ to work with it. Has anyone had problems with any other NIC cards?

Side note: I have another NIC card VIA VT86C100a and it works fine. But I need to get the DEC450 working.

fryfrog
08-20-2003, 07:31 AM
The only thing I can think of that could possibly cause that is if the NIC were not able to go into promisc mode. Try doing tcpdump for a bit and watch the traffic (maybe download something big on another computer at the same time to get lots of traffic). Once you have watched and seen the pattern of broadcasts... cancel it and run "ifconfig ethX promisc" (filling in the X with your nic cards number, usually 0 or 1). now re-run tcpdump and see if you can see all the traffic.

When you say you have another nic that works, I assume you used EXACTLY the same situation to test it? IE, just removed the non-functional from your linux box and put the other in? Or is there a bigger diff? Like one is 10mbit, the other is 100mbit... or you are testing with two different linux boxes and they are hooked to different hubs or something?

I would guess that one is 10mbit and the other is 100mbit off hand, as I don't think there are many nics that can't go into promisc. If you aren't testing in the same computer, then something else is probably different besides just the nics.

S_B_R
08-20-2003, 08:27 AM
I'm in agreement with Fryfrog on this. I've never come across a wired NIC that doesn't support Promiscuous mode. like Fryfrog said, I bet one is 10mbit and the other is 100mbit. or if you have both NIC's in the box at the same time you may be pointing SEQ at the wrong NIC.

Deoen
08-20-2003, 09:14 AM
One card that is not working with SEQ is DEC450 a 10mbit card. the other in a on-board NIC 10/100 mbit. I'll try what you said and do a tcpdump with both cards.

They are both in the system at the same time. I can disable either card and still get to the internet. But when I get SEQ working and try to "set Device" to the DEC450 it does not work. I have also disable the on-board NIC in the BIOS. ANd set up only the DEC450 as ETH0. Internet works but SEQ doesn't. Thank you both for your input. I'm pretty sure this card will not support SEQ. I was just trying to find out if there were other cards doing the same thing, so I can steer away for them.

BlueAdept
08-20-2003, 12:06 PM
I bet that is the problem. The hub you have is actually a switch. Some hubs/switches will be fine as long as all the connections to it are the same. If all the connections are 10mb it will work as a hub, if all connections are 100mb it will work as a hub, if one is a 10 mb and the other is 100mb it will work as a switch to bridge the plane.

who_me_use_seq
08-20-2003, 12:50 PM
I have seen wired nics that will not run in promiscuous mode. There was one whole series of 3com pcmcia cards that wouldn't. And If I recall correctly Olicom ethernet cards wouldnt promisc.

S_B_R
08-20-2003, 03:36 PM
The only cards I've ever seen that are supported in Linux but won't go Promiscuous are WiFi cards.

Deoen
08-20-2003, 04:34 PM
I'm just getting rid of this card and I found a 3C900b-combo

TY all for your info

Cryonic
08-20-2003, 04:36 PM
and even wifi cards can do promisc mode now under linux (look at airsnort and kismet).