PDA

View Full Version : Standardizing maps so depth filtering works.

Fatal
08-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Taken from the news section

Second, until the maps all use a consistant base it makes no sense. Adding a blanket /10 will fix depth filtering on some maps and break others and may cause screwiness when editing existing maps. ShowEQ is not the only tool to use/edit these maps. Until the mapping community comes to a consensus and someone contributes a full set of maps that use a unified system the code will remain as is.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

As the keeper of the maps at eq-toolbox, i agree 100% with this.
We need to pick something to standardize the way the maps are made in regards to depth filtering.

Personally, I would suggest switching to the format the game itself uses as most of my updates/new maps are coming from people who are making them in game, but , it doesnt matter to me. my maps are split in the method they use and will involve work converting either way so whichever is fine.

Tell me how ya want it, and I'll work towards that.

Zaphod
08-28-2003, 07:59 PM
If someone makes sure all the maps included with SEQ are using the the in game format and converts those that aren't I will gladly incorporate the changed maps and make the appropriate SEQ changes. I just don't have the time/energy to go through all the maps to find which maps are in which format and convert all the maps to one format or the other.

Personally I'd prefer to migrate all of SEQ to match the in-game Z coordinate format.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

ksmith
08-28-2003, 08:37 PM
Once my server gets power back, I'll get started on it. I'll also go through and update any missing/imcomplete maps with the best I can find out there

BlueAdept
08-28-2003, 08:41 PM
If any changes are going to be done to the mapping, you might as well change it so that no conversion is needed between SEQ's maps and EQ's maps.

fester
08-28-2003, 09:55 PM
/agree BlueAdept

Elyon
08-29-2003, 12:03 AM
First of all, A Hearty Welcome Back Zaphod :D

While the map changes are being done, mapcore.cpp also needs to have this typo corrected...

There may be a typo in line 1475, I did change the "0" to "i" in that line as well. Sorry for not bringing up a patch, but my editor somehow changes empty lines, which brings up a huge diff file.

Also, in Player.cpp, the con numbers need to be corrected too. I added 5 to all of mine but have only tested from Level 60 up. Sony made some con changes a while back.

Sure is great to see everyone Working together :D

BlueAdept
08-29-2003, 08:10 AM
If you have changes to the source that might help everyone, please submit a patch.

If you dont know how to do it...use 'cvs -z3 diff -c' to generate a diff. Diffs are easy to apply for others wanting to use your work, 'patch -p0 < diff-file', easy for devs to apply and commit. And they are easier for you as well. After you edit a file, just run 'cvs -z3 diff -c > diff-file', and its done.

Then to actually submit it to the site see this thread.

http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3843&highlight=how+submit+patch

The only way to keep this thing alive is if everyone helps out. We cant rely on only a couple people to "fix" it every time or to make improvements. If I could do more, I would and if I ever can, I will.

guice
08-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Here's the diff I've created with the above stated by Elyon;

- Lvl 61+ is now exactly the same as lvl 60 was.
- Fixed the said typo in mapcore.cpp.

Untested, but should work (they compile at least ;))

*edit: PS, It's subitted to CVS

guice
08-29-2003, 09:07 AM
If someone makes sure all the maps included with SEQ are using the the in game format and converts those that aren't I will gladly incorporate the changed maps and make the appropriate SEQ changes

Converting SEQ maps to EQ format is simple. There's already a tool out there that will do a 100% modless conversion (ie - doesn't change line colours).

What would be challenging (at least to me) is changing the map reader in SEQ to read the new maps. Currently that's out of my personal scope of experiece.

Elyon
08-29-2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the instructions, BA. After a long time of trying, I was finally able to get into the CVS and did as you instructed. Worked Great.... seems someone beat me to it tho, so I'll not post mine.

Now, can someone explain how to get the item database working? /Ducks and Covers :D

lildr00d
11-13-2003, 03:51 AM
I searched for updates on this and have not found any current.

Is this a dead issue or are we still waiting on standardized maps to be implemented?

S_B_R
11-13-2003, 10:43 AM
The answers you seek are here:
http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4268

;)

Zaphod
11-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by S_B_R
The answers you seek are here:
http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4268

;)

The thing I mention in there is just a tool to allow maps to be rescaled so they can then be saved at the correct scaling. Furthermore, I believe the proper division is actually by 8, and not by 10. The whole problem was caused by the fact that at one point in the past the Z value wasn't being properly scaled down in ShowEQ and various maps were made/updated. Since then ShowEQ had been modified to use the same Z as EQ, but there are numerous out of date maps using the old Z. There is also another problem caused by the fact that Belith (Ungod)'s map converter patch unfortunately is also doing a 10x scaling so that maps converted with it are also wrong (unfortunately I didn't spot his mis-feature/bug until just yesterday).

The correct behaviour is to use the same Z as EQ. This saves a lot of hassle and confusion. I don't have the time and energy to go through the maps and figure out which ones (and parts of ones) need to be rescaled. It is up to the mapping community to provide corrected maps that bonkersbobcat or myself can put into CVS.

Thanks and Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

S_B_R
11-13-2003, 01:04 PM
I understand about the Scaling. I was actually refering to the exchange between you, Zaphod, and Tor K'tal.

Originally posted by Zaphod**
...I find the SOE map format to be wasteful both in terms of disk space and processing time. It looks like the work of a very junior level software engineer. ... ... ...It would be fairly trivial to support reading/writing both formats. It's a lower priority item, but could be accomplished in little time.

**Editied for Clearity not content ;)

Zaphod
11-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by S_B_R
I understand about the Scaling. I was actually refering to the exchange between you, Zaphod, and Tor K'tal.

**Editied for Clearity not content ;)

Um, S_B_R, lildr00d was aking about the map standardization (in regards to the Z values, which is what this thread is about), and the comment of mine that you refer to in the other thread (related to the garbage SOE format) has nothing to do with that. Let's keep this thread on target (standardizing Z in the SEQ format).

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

S_B_R
11-13-2003, 03:48 PM
I get it now........ :D

*stands in the corner*

lildr00d
11-13-2003, 10:52 PM
Thanks Zaphod. Just the info I needed. Every now and then even high lvl players go to Ssra.. I just missed the depth filtering on the maps.

As always keep up the great work and a thank you out to those that are smarter then me and can make a difference by contributeing to this effort!!