PDA

View Full Version : Compete SEQ noob

Bumble
09-05-2003, 09:32 PM
Grrr, installed and everything seems to have gone ok on compile, and when i start it i don't get any error messages except at the end where is says loading map = unknown map. And it comes up in its X window, but no info is displayed. I am able to ping my ip addr. of EQ machine so linux machine can see it, just not sure why im not getting any info. According to window i am using 4.3.10

thanx,

Bumble

Bumble
09-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Thought i had it fixed, but i was wrong :(

monster69
09-08-2003, 03:29 PM
Based on what you said,

1) Are you starting SEQ after EQ is up running and a character already selected?
If so, then you will not "see" anything until you zone. A better way is to start SEQ first, then launch EQ.

2) If #1 is not true, it sounds like a networking issue. Either your using a switch, not a hub; your network is laid out wrong (i.e. your windows box is your connection to the internet); or you have a hybrid hub/switch (10m/100m autosensing) and not everything plugged into it is running the same speed.

Monster

Bumble
09-08-2003, 03:37 PM
uh oh hope it is that simple of a problem. Thought i had checked that by zoning. Will try again when i get a chance. Thanx M

Gereth
09-30-2003, 01:02 PM
I'm getting the same problem.

I have a 10 / 100 mbs autosensing, although I'm pretty sure everything is running at 100 mbs. I have tried running it before EQ started, and after its been started and I zoned the character. Neither worked. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Gereth

S_B_R
09-30-2003, 02:07 PM
Start up EQ, and then on your linux box run tcpdump
tcpdump -i eth0 Where you may need to replace eth0 with the proper device name if you have more than one NIC in your linux box.

You should see a bunch of packet info flood the screen, someplace in that flood there should be packets going to someplace.station.sony.com and/or somplace.989studios.com. if you are unsure feel free to post the output of the tcpdump command here.

Also there is some info in the SEQ FAQ
http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html?s=&menu=9#4.4

Gereth
09-30-2003, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I will have to wait until tomorrow to test the code you gave me, but as for the link to the faq,

I have a netgear switch / hub. I read that if there is a 10 mb connection, and the linux machine and eq machine are both on a 100 mb connection, then it will act as a real hub. My question is, is there any way to make a 10 mb connection? I have 4 computers set up on my switch / hub, which is connected to a router, which is connected to the internet (cable connection) Is there any easy solution so I can sniff the packets from the EQ machine? (by easy I generally mean free :D )

uRit1u2CBBA=
10-01-2003, 01:58 AM
Doesn't sound like that your router will work. You want a plain old hub that will broadcast all packets to all devices on it.

Routers have some programming in them to directly route packets to their destination, so other devices connected to it won't see it.

Gereth
10-01-2003, 04:44 AM
ok, thanks for the info

I'll see if I have the extra cash for a hub.

Gereth

fryfrog
10-01-2003, 06:34 AM
If you have one of those funky hub/switch devices plugged into a router, you should be able to use the 10mbit device plugged into it trick w/o much of a problem. Assuming that it works with that device as it may not work.

You should be able to force one of your other computers (not the sniffer or the eq client) to 10mbit full or half duplex. This will seriously degrade the performance of your system's network speed, but it should work.

It never hurts to try before you blow $50 on another hub :)

Gereth
10-01-2003, 08:41 AM
hmm.. thats a good idea..

one last question, I promise =)

If I force one computer to be 10 mb.. does that make just that computer slower, or the entire network? Its a computer no one uses much so if its just the computer, thats definatly a good solution :)

Gereth
10-01-2003, 12:50 PM
ok, I set a computer up on full duplex 10 mb, while everything else is on 100 mb. I did the tcpdump, and only found packets going to and from my local ip (192.168.0.6) to 192.168.0.1 (where my router is connected) and then from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.255 (my routers ip I *think*) and then from 192.168.0.255 out to internet locations. I didnt find anything to station.sony or 989studios.

I have a problem in windows (I dual boot), which could be related to this, so I'm gonna post that problem here. In windows, I am unable to see other computers on my network, and they cannot see me. they can however see eachother. I can ping them in both linux and windows, and have also tested net send in windows, which worked. Dont really know what the problem there is, and never really bothered to fix it. I have also tried using a different hub and a different nic, and I get the same results.

I thought that could have something to do with it, but any ideas on either problem would be greatly appreciated. I assume I'm going to have to buy a hub for this anyway, so I'll start looking around.

Thanks for all the help so far guys =)

fester
10-01-2003, 01:53 PM
Your best bet to get a hub is to buy one on ebay.

Buy a DS108 by netgear or any cisco hub like a ws-c412.
I just looked and there were 10 to 20 ds108's for sale
around $9 to $20 or so.

I doubt any of the hubs sold at national computer stores are actually hubs now. I know a friend bought a linksys, dlink, and two other no name brands in an attempt to get a hub.

It is almost as if a part of the FAQ needs to contain a list of known working hubs.

Gereth
10-01-2003, 01:59 PM
thanks, I'll have to get one on ebay. Turns out on closer inspection of my hardware it says fast ethernet switch, so I'm assuming its not a hub.

Thanks again for everyones help!

IRKodama
10-01-2003, 05:01 PM
Just saying you need a hub is missleading, because 99% of the hubs you will find in the stores now adays are filtered or switching hubs, that offer the features of a switch and they will not work with SEQ. What you need is a "repeating hub" and if they still sell repeating hubs, they sure as hell do not advertised that it is one, because hard anyone wants one. I believe the Netgear DS104 and DS108 are repeating hubs, but it doesn't say they are in their specs.

fester
10-01-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by IRKodama
I believe the Netgear DS104 and DS108 are repeating hubs, but it doesn't say they are in their specs.

I KNOW the DS108 and the WS-C412 work. They are what I recommend.

Dedpoet
10-02-2003, 10:08 AM
The Netgear EN and the D-Link DS line are in fact true hubs. D-Link doesn't make the DS anymore, so you won't find too many in big stores, but smaller stores and various web stores (EBay too) have them. I run a D-Link DS105 5-port 10/100 hub and it runs great. I have also used Netgear EN-104 and EN-108 at different times. They are 10 MBit only and are getting harder to find these days.

I am planning some FAQ updates this weekend and I'll put something in about this. Please post here if you'd like me to list your working hub. Please do NOT post the really expensive stuff (I don't want to list your $6000 packet duplicating Cisco Catalyst switch), switches that you are forcing to act as a hub with different speed devices, routers with packet replicating features, or any other tricky stuff. Just give me basic true hubs that you know work, and I'll list the model numbers in the FAQ.

Cisco WS-C412 (10/100)
D-Link DS105 (10/100)
Netgear EN104TP (10MBit)
Netgear DS104 (10/100)
Netgear DS108 (10/100)
Netgear DS116 (10/100)