PDA

View Full Version : Death to logger.cpp logging?

Zaphod
09-17-2003, 10:14 PM
Does anyone actually use the logging in logger.cpp? Or like most of us do you stick to the Global, Zone, World, and Unknow logs along with the OpCode monitor? Most of the dev's I've talked to have found the logging in logger.cpp of limited utility, but we always end up having to fix it every time we make meaningful structure changes, thereby distracting us from other useful development.

So, the poll is, can we get rid of logger.cpp?
All the other logging will remain. Heck, getting rid of logger.cpp may actually allow us the time to improve some of the other methods of logging or possibly add other logging facilities.

Thanks and Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

UnGod
09-18-2003, 12:47 AM
I'd personally say away with it,
I find it more useful to just add a logData("/tmp/<opcode>.log", len, data) in packet.cpp under the opcode when debugging something :)
It takes a whopping hmm mebbe 1 minute to compile packet.cpp and the showeq binary to add a new log file temporarily :)

I'd like to see the ability to toggle a switch to generate a /tmp/<opcode>.log with just the data of the packets :)

Then again I have no clue how to use logger.cpp ;) never could find that ;)

But I agree, updating it for every struct change is a bit of a pain in the ass, and a lot is overlooked when doing it :)

Belith/UnGod

Zaphod
09-19-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by UnGod
I'd personally say away with it,
I find it more useful to just add a logData("/tmp/<opcode>.log", len, data) in packet.cpp under the opcode when debugging something :)
It takes a whopping hmm mebbe 1 minute to compile packet.cpp and the showeq binary to add a new log file temporarily :)

I'd like to see the ability to toggle a switch to generate a /tmp/<opcode>.log with just the data of the packets :)

Then again I have no clue how to use logger.cpp ;) never could find that ;)

But I agree, updating it for every struct change is a bit of a pain in the ass, and a lot is overlooked when doing it :)

Belith/UnGod

To log individual or groups of opcodes look at the menu items under "Network" -> "OpCode Monitor". They allow you to monitor certain opcodes matching certain conditions. It isn't perfect, but it can be helpful.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)