PDA

View Full Version : Hmm..What am I doing wrong-spells_en.txt

jesterbam
09-29-2003, 01:59 PM
I was hoping to get the Spells info screen to update properly.

Here is what I have done so far.

searched on spell, spells and spells_en.txt

1. Got 4.3.13 working fine
2. downloaded the Live version of the lucy spell file and unzipped it.
3. Renamed it to spells_en.txt
4. Placed it in the /usr/local/share/showeq directory
5. shut down showeq and restarted
6. zoned
7. I get the target (myself) and the time remaining but no name of the spell info.

Thanks in advance

Folks read the whole thread it has some great information that corrected alot of my mistakes

Dark
09-29-2003, 02:11 PM
I read it as getting your spells_en.txt from your everquest dir and putting it in the location sugested.
Mine looks ok.

Cryonic
09-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Yep, SEQ needs the file from your PCs EQ directory.

jesterbam
09-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Thanks I will give that a try. I read too many searchs and got side tracked by one thinking the file was to be downlaoded from lucy.

Zaphod
09-29-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by jesterbam
Thanks I will give that a try. I read too many searchs and got side tracked by one thinking the file was to be downlaoded from lucy.
Nope, no middlemen... We load the data from the same file eqgame.exe does, spells_en.txt.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

jesterbam
09-29-2003, 04:29 PM
I have something screwed up. I copied over the file and in the TERMINAL Window it clearly:

SPELL: You begin casting "correct spell name". Current target is spawn (0)

So EQ knows what spell I cast it just does not include the name in the Spell List under heading "Spell". I get "correct name" for the Target and the correct time remaining.

I will keep testing stuff.

monster69
09-29-2003, 06:54 PM
I am experiencing the same problem as Jesterbam, trying to diagnose now.

Spell info in terminal window is correct, but spell info not listing right in the spell list window.

Edit:
Also, the correct ID for the spell shows briefly in the Spell List windows with a time of 0:00 even though I am casting buffs. Happening with several different buffs.

The times for my existing buffs show correctly, and the ID, but the spell names do not.

Edit2:
On a buff that I cast but didn't stay on the spell list window; Once I zone, it shows up on the list (still no name) with the correct decay time.

Zaphod
09-29-2003, 09:04 PM
Do me the kind favor and look at the text that scrolls by when you first load up ShowEQ.

If it is correctly loading the file you should see:

Loaded 4294 spells from '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt' maxSpell=1142

If however you see the following:

Spells::Spells(): Failed to open: '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt'

Then it did not load. The reason you may be seeing messages with the correct spellname without it is that those are using the old spell_name() system where a magical header file is generated using a perl script and built into the exe. That magical header file now only contains the spell names but not the frequently erroneous spell duration and target information that it previously had nor has to be regenerated every bloody time SOE changes spells_en.txt. I can of course change it so that no name is printed anywhere if the file isn't loaded if that would make it more obvious.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

monster69
09-29-2003, 09:50 PM
Well, how about a hybrid message:

Loaded 1 spells from '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt' maxSpell=0000

I assume that my spells_en.txt file has a format problem, but when I look at it (through KWrite) it appears okay...as in lots of very long lines of spell definitions.

I will see what I can figure out.

Monster

EDIT:
Okay, tried setting the file to have UNIX end of line markers (through tools in KWrite) and same problem. So I set the file to have Windows/DOS end of line markers and ...BINGO.

So, what happened is; I FTP'd the file from my EQ box to my SEQ box which changed it to UNIX format end of line markers. Setting to Windows/DOS end of line markers is the fix.

jesterbam
09-30-2003, 04:12 AM
Zaphod, I want to thank you for you outstanding work keeping SEQ going. If I don't get the spell function it is no big deal , I am grateful SEQ has skittles.

Now I suspect it is a format issue as monster69 has indicated. I get the same load message monster69 got before he reformated the file. I will play with the formating. I e-mailed the file to my Linux box. I did have to strip out the header info but I suspect I need to get it back to Windows format.

Thanks Monster69 for nailing this.

Someone more knowlegable might want to post a simple way to get the file from the Windows box to the Linux box in the proper format.

I tried using:

mkdir /mnt/shared
mount -t smbfs username=winuser,password=winpass //winbox/shared /mnt/shared

winuser is your WINDOWS username
winpass is your WINDOWS password (or lack there of)
winbox is the name of your Windows Box
shared is the name of the directory you shared on you windows box.

Which use to work as a way to very easily share a windows directory (no FTP no SAMBA set up hassels) on a Win98 box but since I have moved to Win XP I have not been able to get it to work. That is why I e-mailed it which hosed the file with header stuff.

So far I have not been able to find an editor on my Linux RH7.2 that "clearly" shows how to "save as" a Windows/Dos format.

Cryonic
09-30-2003, 10:37 AM
unix2dos and dos2unix are your friends.

They'll convert Windows/Dos -> Linux eol and vice versa.

junk
09-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Or you can just upload spells_en.txt in binary mode, lots and lots of FTP clients will detect the .TXT at the end of the file and transfer it in ASCII mode instead (which would convert the EOL from Windows to Unix).

jesterbam
09-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Thanks Cryonic that did it.

In summary for other newbs like me.

1. e-mailed the spells_en.txt from my windows box ( I did this because I don't know a simple way to transfer the file).
My yardstick for simple is how long does it take and do i know how to do it. I don't know Samba or FTP..I did read a bit but it all required learning how to set up a server client relationship........the e-mail process took less than 3 mins to set up and mail.

2. place the spells_en.txt in the usr/local/share/showeq directory

3. Opened it with gedit-and deleted all the mail header stuff down to the line starting with 0^^BLUE_Trail.....

4. saved it

5. open a termional window and go to usr/local/share/showeq type unix2dos spells_en.txt

6. done

7. start SEQ (you dont need to start EQ to see if it worked......look at the line "Loaded 33283 spells from usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt maxSpell=2d31"

If it has numbers (not zeros) for maxSpell it works.

Thanks for all the help guys

a_corpse_02
09-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Like others I just wanted to get up and running as fast as possible last night. I just zipped up my spells_en.txt (< 300k zipped) and FTPed it to my ISP provided webspace. FTPed it back down to my Linux box, unzip, and voila! done.

However, I am going to explore Samba now as it looks interesting to learn and possibly useful in the future.

datadog
09-30-2003, 06:35 PM
I dual boot my ShowEQ box with WinXP home. I have a vfat/Fat32 partition that I share between the two of them.

I just booted to XP, ran the EQ Patcher to make sure the spell file was up-to-date, then dropped it onto the shared partion. Rebooted into Linux and mv'd to the appropriate SEQ folder.

Works like a champ!

EDIT: Typos

Zaphod
09-30-2003, 09:19 PM
Or you can do what I did, which was to install the cygwin tools (including OpenSSH) under Windows and used the scp program.

$ scp spells_en.txt youruser@yourhost:/yourdirectory

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Cryonic
09-30-2003, 09:32 PM
or download SSH from ftp.ssh.com. It comes with all the secure shell stuff (scp, sftp, ssh, etc...).

suseuser7341
10-01-2003, 03:45 AM
How about smbclient ? :D

Share your EQ Directory on the windows box and you can use

smbclient //EQboxname/sharename

to access the files, just like ftp. If you require a username it can be supplied via '-U username' option at the smbclient command. As always 'man smbclient' for further options :)

LordCrush
10-01-2003, 04:20 AM
Samba :p

to get out the big Gun :D

uRit1u2CBBA=
10-01-2003, 06:40 AM
Here is what I did since I couldn't ftp to my linux box (have not figured out why, but anyway...)

On the EQ box, I zipped up the spells_en.txt with WinZip 8 and E-mailed it to myself.

Then on the SEQ box, loaded the mail client to receive the E-mail and saved the attachment into my home directory.

Then from my home directory, I did the following:

unzip spells_en.zip
dos2unix < spells_en.txt > /usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt

Worked great.

jesterbam
10-01-2003, 09:29 AM
WOW! Tried

How about smbclient ?

Share your EQ Directory on the windows box and you can use

smbclient //EQboxname/sharename

This was by far the easiest!

1. open terminal window
2 Typed : smbclient //mywindowscomputername/everquest
3. asked for my Windows password
4. Type : dir and it listed my everquest directory.
5. I tryed "copy" and it did not work
6. Typed get spells_en.txt
7. The file was transfer to my Linux box.
Sweet!

jesterbam
10-01-2003, 11:20 AM
Found another way that is graphical (means it shows up in Konqueror for easy point and click copy)

1.open terminal window and cd to /mnt directory

2. type: mkdir /win <-----this can be any name. It will be the name of the directory you look for to see the files on the Windows box using Konqueror

3. type: smbmount //windows_computer_name/shared_windows _directory /mnt/win <-----this should match the file name you used in step 2

4. enter your windows password when asked.

5. done

Open Konqueror and go to /mnt/win and you will now see your windows directory/files. you can now do a simple point and click copy.

suseuser7341
10-02-2003, 03:55 AM
Isn't konqueror able to mount CIFS shares dynamicly itself ?

so entering an url like: smb://host/ lists all shares for me, if you prefer the clicky-bunty way

jesterbam
10-07-2003, 02:41 PM
suseuser7341, I just got around to tryig what you suggested and sure enough . it beats them all for simplisty.

For the other newbs like me:

1. Open Konqueror

2. In the window slot beside "Location" type smb://windows_computer_name ENTER

3. BINGO all shared files and folders appear for easy point and click copy and paste.

Thank you everyone for sharing your information

Freakyuno
10-07-2003, 04:12 PM
So if this is the text I am getting when ShowEQ starts, does that mean it worked or didnt?
The amount of spells it loads, and the maxspell number of mine dont match what was in a previous post in this thread.

Loaded 4294 spells from
'/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt'
maxSpell=0x1142

I did the same as a previous poster, emailed the file to myself, via hotmail, and downloaded it on the SEQ machine.

*edit: it cut off my code, moving it to three lines.

jesterbam
10-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Freckyuno,

looks like you are missing a lot of spells. I suggest you do one of the simple steps above and transfer the file instead of e-mail then try it . if that does not work try the dos2unix to make sure it is proprerly formatted. When I load the spells I get like 33283 spells loaded.

Zaphod
10-08-2003, 04:46 AM
Actually jesterbam, 4294 spells is actually the correct count for the current version of EQ with a max spell id of 0x1142 (which for the hexadecimal impaired is 4418).

Also, as I mentioned in the CHANGES (and the announcement) for 4.3.14 the loading of those text files is now line termination tolerant.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

jesterbam
10-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Thanks Zaphod. I copied over a new version of the spells_en.txt and sure enough I get the numbers you said. Thanks for everything, your work is amazing.

talgor
10-11-2003, 11:53 AM
I did the emial thing. I zipped my spells_en file and emailed to myself. put the file in my usr/local/share/showeq folder. and then tried a few commands that people posted. and it always said

Problem converting spells to Dos..

either way i try it it tells me there are problems converting the spells_en.txt file

I tried: dos2unix < spells_en.txt > /usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt and
unix2dos < spells_en.txt > /usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt

when I opened the file in my showeq file I didnt see any headers or anything I needed to delete.. it all looked fine. anyone have an idea to what I am doing wrong?

Cryonic
10-12-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by talgor
I tried: dos2unix < spells_en.txt > /usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt and
unix2dos < spells_en.txt > /usr/local/share/showeq/spells_en.txt

Two things:

1) as was posted in the announcements forum you no longer need to convert it.

2) If you still are going to convert it, do it right. (man dos2unix).

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter

SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile
outfile ...]

Options:

[-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version]

DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that con_
verts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format.

uRit1u2CBBA=
10-12-2003, 07:39 PM
Since dos2unix with no options takes it from stdin and puts it in stdout,
dos2unix < input file > output fileis perfectly acceptable.

But yes, it is no longer needed anymore.

Elyon
10-13-2003, 05:16 AM
Your problem may be that they changed the name of the files...

You now need to use spells_us.txt and eqstr_us.txt.