PDA

View Full Version : Jump in Hard Drive Activity - 4.3.13

OgerSEQ
10-01-2003, 08:02 PM
A new feature in this version seems to be using the hard drive alot. There is massive HD usage every time I zone. It really slows down decode times. Also there is a noticable amout of activity when I click on links.

A couple questions:

1) What is happening?
2) Is there any way to disable this to improve decode times?

Thanks

Zaphod
10-01-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by OgerSEQ
A new feature in this version seems to be using the hard drive alot. There is massive HD usage every time I zone. It really slows down decode times. Also there is a noticable amout of activity when I click on links.

A couple questions:

1) What is happening?
2) Is there any way to disable this to improve decode times?

Thanks

This issue should be fixed in the next CVS commit. Coming soon to a source tree near you... ;)

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Dark
10-01-2003, 08:10 PM
I noticed mine was real slow to decode in some zones. Then I realized that my Hunt/Alert filter was going off and nothing was showing on the map until all my Wave files had finished playing 4 or 5 times.

BlueAdept
10-02-2003, 07:38 AM
Good catch on this one.

I had this problem too. I had played SEQ without really re-setting up all the options. Then I actually re-configured all my sounds and tweaks and I noticed the lag. I tried to change the settings back to the default, but that didnt work (I didnt even think of the sounds). I thought my machine just needed to be rebooted since it has been up for 6 months.

BlueAdept
10-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Im still having this problem with the new version 4.3.14. I disabled the sound, but my HD still flashes for about 45 seconds. SEQ is pretty much frozen. When HD stops flashing, the spawns appear.

This has only been like this in the last 2 versions.

Dark
10-02-2003, 06:04 PM
From what i have seen, even with sound turned off it still plays the wav files. My slow down only happend after i looked at the terminal widow and saw that it couldnt find the wav files, so i put some in and since then i get the slow display on zoning. If i deleted the wav files from the directory i am sure (although untested) that it would decode just as fast as it use to.
BTW when its playing the wav files i cant do anyhting with the SEQ window until it's finished.

I could be wrong :-) just a newbi at Linux stuff.

BlueAdept
10-02-2003, 07:40 PM
I reloaded 4.3.12 and it worked perfectly. Something has definately changed between 4.3.12 and 4.3.13+ that is causing LONG delays for it to load up.

The map loads, I hear the alerts and then it just sits there with the HD flashing for 1 minute 23 seconds.

On version 4.3.12 it loads before EQ even finishes loading.

I even tried my old xml file from 4.3.12 on the new one and it still takes forever.

Im going to keep messing with the settings to see if I can figure it out.

Dark
10-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Hmm my delay is no where near 90 seconds.
My map loads as soon as i zone but its the mobs etc that dont show until my wav files play. But as soon as the last wav file plays the spawns decode and display.

My delay may have nothing to do with what you are experiencing.

I'll do some testing and see what happens

BlueAdept
10-02-2003, 10:56 PM
My machine is kind of old. It is a dual p3 500 with 512 megs of memory.

Ive tried to change just about every setting. No luck...still racking the HD big time after map is displayed.

Dark
10-02-2003, 11:18 PM
I'm Sure mine is working correctly and no delay aprt from the wav files and not major HDD activity.
Mines a P3 500 with 512 ram and a Matrox G400 16meg card.

Zaphod
10-03-2003, 05:34 AM
The only difference between the two that should still be effecting you is the Item DB. Unfortunately without changing the requirements we are stuck with GDBM, soo....

If your HD is getting nailed, you can run showeq with the command line option --itemdb-disable and I suspect it will go away.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

P.S. running 2 sessions on a PIII-600, 384 MB RAM without the HD getting pegged.

SeqTester
10-03-2003, 06:55 AM
I am running on a 300mhz p1 with 128mb of ram and do not have this problem.

ST.

BlueAdept
10-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Is is 2 -'s or just one...with just one it didnt work. But 2 -'s seemed to work and elimated the HD delay.

Zaphod
10-03-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by BlueAdept
Is is 2 -'s or just one...with just one it didnt work. But 2 -'s seemed to work and elimated the HD delay.
That's 2 dashes (--), yes.

One question, is your /usr/local/share/showeq directory on a drive that's very full?

Could you try an experiment, run the following command:

$ showeqitemdbtool -R

And then try running again with the ItemDB enabled.

Thanks and Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

BlueAdept
10-03-2003, 10:29 AM
When I do the showeqitemdbtool --r it says Failed to reorganize databases!

After that, I went and renamed itemdata.dbm itemdata2.dbm and itemrawdata2.dbm. I figure it will re-create it SEQ restarts to see if that helps.

The file sizes of these files were from 119k to 272k and I still have 58% free on the drive.

It recreated the files and still had the lag. Still cant reorganize it either.

Also, the dbm files were created with this version (as well as the .13 version) I apparently didnt have any databases from the .12 version. Im fine with just doing the --itemdb-disable but request that you add an option in the menus to turn it off instead of having to type that every time.

Maybe it is because Im using RH7.2.

CorrosiveMatter
10-03-2003, 10:31 AM
I am in the same boat BA.

Same message when I run that as well.