PDA

View Full Version : Issue with networking

BardofGlory
10-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Ok, first, let me tell you the setup I have. A friend of mine helped me setup my laptop to run Slackware 8.1 through VMWare workstation 4. I have a wireless network at home, using a Microsoft wireless router to connect through. In Slackware, I am getting an IP address from the router, and can ping out to IP addresses from my Linux session. Here's the problem I keep running into. If I try to connect to my EQ PC with SEQ, all it shows is "You Level 1 Warrior", and if I zone, I get the same thing. It's not bringing up any maps or anything. If I look at the terminal window to see what it's saying, I get some type of error that says something about unknown map that it can't find. My friend who set it up pretty much copied over his SEQ profile exactly as he had it on his PC, so I would assume the maps should be in the same place, and that SEQ should be able to find them.

That's about all the info I have for now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ksmith
10-06-2003, 09:16 AM
I have a wireless network at home, using a Microsoft wireless router to connect through.

That is not a hub. Your laptop is never going to see the packets from your everquest computer.

BardofGlory
10-06-2003, 11:17 AM
My wireless router has the ability to turn off routing to turn it into a normal switch/hub. If I did that & specified static IP addresses for my 2 PC's, would that work?

S_B_R
10-06-2003, 12:10 PM
If it is a switch it WILL NOT WORK. I'm 99.999% sure that even if you do "turn off routing" it will still act like a switch and therefore will not work. That coupled with using VMWare I wouldn't be to hopeful of it working. I'm not sure how promiscuous mode works in that situation since Linux inside VMWare just sees a generic NIC not the actual wireless NIC, and if you are using WEP that would probably make it even less likely to work.

If you do get it to work please share your experience. :)

uRit1u2CBBA=
10-06-2003, 01:56 PM
This is how I have my setup to get SEQ working on my wireless connection.

Internet
|
|
Cable Modem
|
|
Wireless Router / 4-port Switch
|
|
PC1

Wireless Bridge
|
|
Hub
|
+---+---+
| |
| |
SEQ PC2

You need a wireless bridge, then connect that directly to a hub, then your SEQ box and your gaming box can connect to the hub.

Freakyuno
10-06-2003, 03:13 PM
There is another way to do it, but the extent of my knowledge, it requires going to a wired connection between your SEQ Box and your EQ box.

There may be a way to do it with a wireless connection, and if you have the money to spend on a wireless bridge, it will be much more effective and reliable to use the previous posts method.

If you choose not to go this route for lack of a spare hub, and wireless bridge you can use this method:

Internet
Cable Modem
Wireless Router -> SEQ PC (Eth0)
SEQ PC (Eth1) -> EQ PC (via connection sharing)

This method is described in the FAQ, The pro's and Con's to this are also listed there. It will require two wired ethernet cards, and a Crossover Cable. I probably have 10 to 12 extra 10 / 100mbit wired cards laying around at any given time, and atleast half of them might even be in working order, so for me this woul d be a better method. It's really upto you to decide what resources you have available, and if / how much you want to invest in getting this working.

S_B_R
10-06-2003, 03:36 PM
There are many ways to do it. you only need to fulfill one requirement:
The SEQ box must be able to see the IP traffic to and from the EQ machine.

Placing the SEQ box in-line as a NAT box is one way (which what Freakyuno is describing). That is probably the best all around solution. Otherwise connecting the SEQ box and the EQ box Via a true hub, a hub broadcasts every IP packet to all the ports on the hub. Obviously since every packet is going to every port SEQ can see the EQ packets.

A switch on the other hand transmits IP packets to only the single port where the receiving computer is connected. As some will tell you there are ways to alter this behavior but it's really not feasible in most cases.