PDA

View Full Version : Problem with map compressing in .16

karrde
10-13-2003, 09:27 AM
This starting happening to me after I upgraded to .16 yesterday. We will be going along in a dungeon and I'll look over at my map and it has compressed down to the size of a dime in the map window. I have to set zoom to close to 20x before I can see at about the same resolution as when I zoned in. About the same time is seems that some of the character tracking goes wacky, because one of my party starts showing as a corpse in the spawn list, and is a corpse skittle on the map.

Zoning resets the map issue, however the party member is still a corpse. This happened in 2 dungeons last night (one Tak, one Mir) and it was the same party member that became a corpse both times (same group both times, had not disbanded between).

If someone will let me know what I should record/look for next time I'll be glad to do so.

lildr00d
10-13-2003, 01:14 PM
This has been a on going issue. Happens to me alot in PoEartha.

I do seem to recall some topics that covered this..

This was one (http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2810&highlight=spawns+outside+map)

Oh and this one (http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=521&highlight=spawns+outside+map)

There were a few others.. I found that http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/images/top_search.gif works great for finding answers

karrde
10-13-2003, 02:37 PM
That's great thanks for the pointers. However when I had done a search on 'compress(ed) map' it didn't trun up anything usefull. Don't always assume that a low post count means a newb, somtimes the proper search term isn't obvious for somone who hasn't dealt with the issue before.

Cryonic
10-13-2003, 02:43 PM
If you are going to take offense at what lildr00d posted, then you might not want to stick around.

A combination of low post plus recent membership is a better hint of a newbie to the boards.

Freakyuno
10-13-2003, 02:51 PM
All programming and coding, and network issues aside. I have had the map issue happen on a few occasions, here's what happens when mine does it.

Running with Animate Spawns on:
A Creature starts to head a direction, and you get to far away, or for some other reason, the EQClient stops getting updates, and that creature just keeps continuing on it's last known path, which could be from here to timbuktwo...the map keeps scaling out to keep that mob visible for some reason, even though it's not selected.

Usually, eventually you get a mob position update, and it jumps back to where it should be, so by the time you look back at your screen you have no idea what happened.

Not 100% of the cases out there of this happening, just my own experience.

karrde
10-13-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Cryonic
If you are going to take offense at what lildr00d posted, then you might not want to stick around.

A combination of low post plus recent membership is a better hint of a newbie to the boards.

I didn't take offense so much as I was pointing out not to jump the gun so quick.

And I said nothing about not being a newb to the boards, I am. But search is a general pratice regarless of the internet forum, and I am by no meas a newb there.

Originally posted by Freakyuno
the map keeps scaling out to keep that mob visible for some reason, even though it's not selected.

Usually, eventually you get a mob position update, and it jumps back to where it should be, so by the time you look back at your screen you have no idea what happened.

I could agree with you if not for the one time I actually saw it happen, and it was a jump. From just fine, to jump out far enough to not see detail. I'd alo give credit to what they were talking about in one of the posts that lildr00d linked to that it might be a door, except that ulike those posts this isn't as I zoning in, but much later. I'll look for those outlying mobs the next time it happens.

lildr00d
10-13-2003, 04:01 PM
Wow. And here I thought I was being nice by actually ''helping'' instead of just posting a flame about useing the search function like most people do.

Instead I actually gave some info. Oh wells.. guess you can never win

And yes I even have a low post count however I come here to try and contribute what I can.

fester
10-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by karrde
search on 'compress(ed) map' it didn't trun up anything usefull. Don't always assume that a low post count means a newb, somtimes the proper search term isn't obvious for somone who hasn't dealt with the issue before.

Tell you what, in a hundred years I doubt I would ever think to use the words "compress(ed)" to describe your problem. I don't think anyone else would either.

Also, thinking of ONLY ONE WORD to search does indeed make you sound like a newb. I usually never look at the post counts, because the real (tm) newbs usually have very large post counts.

fester
10-13-2003, 04:27 PM
Probably discussed in other threads, but this can be caused by at least two events:

1) Animate Spawns (mentioned above)
2) Opcodes and Structures. If we are off on a mob spawn, door spawn, door open, position update, etc. ShowEQ could be using the wrong bytes to represent the current position. I believe this is most likely to be located in doors or objects (like the new LDON objects.) Obviously if we choose to interpret a random chunk of bits as a position (when it isn't a position value) we will show some random new spot on the map (which will cause ShowEQ to scale the map to fit the screen.)

l0s3r
10-13-2003, 06:47 PM
hey cryonic how many of your replies have been like the following?

being a "use search" nazi doesn't make you a non newbie..

Lots of us could pad our numbers with replies like that.

Cryonic
Luclins Servant

This is a known issue with SEQ and Wine. But you would know that if you had searched.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

karrde
10-15-2003, 05:54 AM
Well it happened to me again last night. Seems I was wrong about cause and effect though, looks like it the player going "walking corpse" that's causing the map to expand like that. From my spawnlog:

x:<player>:61:-32768,0,-32768:<time1>:3:<zone>:<time1>:unknown(0):117
x:<player>:61:-32768,0,-32768:<time2>:3:<zone>:<time2>:unknown(0):117

the two lines were about a half hour apart give or take and are the only spawns with the (+/-)32768 range to them.

Odly enough this is the same player from before even though the group makeup was completly different.

Cryonic
10-15-2003, 08:53 AM
hmmm, interesting that it is due to a player turning into a corpse. Next time you run SEQ turn on packet logging. Zaphod might be willing to take a look through the log to find out what happened (though I don't really speak for him).

Check out http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3945&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

OK, Here's a path that'll help, but...

I'm having trouble getting a datastream that will produce the described behavior in 4.3.12. So if someone really wants to help and doesn't mind giving up some level of their annonymity to me they can e-mail me a packet recording that exhibits the problem.

To do this you would use the '--record-filename=<FILENAME>' option when running ShowEQ and go through a session and attempt to reproduce the problem. If you are able to reproduce the problem, stop the EQ session. Compress the recorded packet stream (preferably with bzip2) and e-mail it to me at [email protected]. At which point I should be able to reproduce the problem.

All information in the packet recording will be maintained in the strictest confidence.

Thanks and Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Cravin Morehead
10-15-2003, 10:12 AM
I have seen the same issue with the walking corpse and So far the only thing I have noticed they have in comman is they were both SKs. First time this happened was in POT so I didnt worry about resizeing the map so Im not positive on the SK thing. but the 2 other times it has happened it was definutly the SK that became the walking corpse.

fester
10-15-2003, 10:27 AM
I have noticed that if the player had velocity when he dies, the corpse contains the velocity of the dying player.

This produces moving corpses in ShowEQ (because there is never a notification of a new velocity until some drags the corpse.)

I suspect this is a very easy fix (ignore velocity for animation purposes when the object is a corpse.) I have never noticed this event, likely because the corpse was looted before it went off screen?

We probably are seeing position updates for the spawnID of the corpse after the corpse has spawned, because unless I am mistaken the spawn animation code already kills the heading and delta for corpses when the spawn is announced.

BlueAdept
10-15-2003, 12:37 PM
I have had this happen now 3 times so far in this version. But I have been unsuccessful in finding out what caused it (only really looked at it the last time it happened) and the zone collapsed before I could even find the mob doing it.

karrde
10-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by fester
I have noticed that if the player had velocity when he dies, the corpse contains the velocity of the dying player.

This produces moving corpses in ShowEQ (because there is never a notification of a new velocity until some drags the corpse.)

Ack!!! I must not have made my self clear sorry. I guess I forgot to mention that the character hasn't died in any of the cases where this has happened. The Character is just turning into a corpse in showeq without the character actually dieng in game. Sorry for the confusion.

Originally posted by Cravin Morehead
I have seen the same issue with the walking corpse and So far the only thing I have noticed they have in comman is they were both SKs.

Well my walking corpse is a War. And like I said it's the same character all three times... so I have nothing else to compare too.

Freakyuno
10-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Little bit of new information to add to this,

It has something to do with player illusions.
Had this happen exactaly as described...walking corpse syndrome. We can just call it WCS. lol

Died today in Dulak, got rezed back in by a necro using lich, soon as I zoned in, map appeared correctly, then zoomed out to dime size.

Died again later, he rez'ed me again and wasnt in illusion, everything worked fine.

Died a third time, he rez'ed me in again, and was in spectre form again, and again, walking corpse.

Two pieces of good information here, I die alot in dulak, and player illusions somehow tie into the mix.

Cravin Morehead
10-17-2003, 04:11 PM
yea thats kinda what I was thinking my first thought was the SK just FDed but Im betting they just shapeshifted into skelly form. we are in POT tommorrow so Im betting I can get a little more info. Ill make sure to ask the WCS if they just did a shapeshift.

I saw this again last night wand was an SK again Im pretty sure they went skelly when this happened.

Zaphod
10-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Cravin Morehead
yea thats kinda what I was thinking my first thought was the SK just FDed but Im betting they just shapeshifted into skelly form. we are in POT tommorrow so Im betting I can get a little more info. Ill make sure to ask the WCS if they just did a shapeshift.

I saw this again last night wand was an SK again Im pretty sure they went skelly when this happened.

If you can get me a recording of a session (with --record-file) that demonstrates the problem and send it to me at [email protected] I will examine it in the strictest confidence.

If you do a recording, try to do an emote or say something innocuous but that I can search for as a reference point.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Choofer
10-22-2003, 04:00 PM
This has been happening for a little while to me as well. Since all i have to do it change the map to X32 to see it all working again i have never really worried about it.

One thing i have noticed since reading this message is that it normally happens when the tank has had his appearence changed ( ie : scarecrow ) once this happens the player appears as a corpse icon and the map shrinks to the top left corner of my screen.

I will try to check again tonight to make sure this is a hard-on fault or if it's variable.

Choof

Zaphod
10-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Choofer
This has been happening for a little while to me as well. Since all i have to do it change the map to X32 to see it all working again i have never really worried about it.

One thing i have noticed since reading this message is that it normally happens when the tank has had his appearence changed ( ie : scarecrow ) once this happens the player appears as a corpse icon and the map shrinks to the top left corner of my screen.

I will try to check again tonight to make sure this is a hard-on fault or if it's variable.

Choof

This was related to an opcode mismatch. It should be fixed in my next CVS commit.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Freakyuno
10-22-2003, 10:03 PM
Related to the 00dd or the 002d optcode Zaphod?

Choofer
10-23-2003, 03:01 PM
As usual Zaphod your a living legend, as i said its not big deal i just change it to X32 and i can see everything, but thanks anyhow for your work and dedication. Anytime your in Melbourne Australia i'll buy you a beer or 20 :)

Choof