PDA

View Full Version : How carefull are you about SEQ

karrde
11-03-2003, 04:34 PM
How carefull are you about using the knowledge gained in SEQ. I haven't been using it long, but I've already found myself not being too carefull about covering what I know.

For example, logging in a parked character in a zone waiting for a spawn, then switching over to another character to go take said mob out. Parked character had no wasy of really knowing and zone was empty of other players.

Obviously nothing of great importance, it's my account that'll get banned right. But curious at how carefull people are at covering thier tracks in game.

Dark
11-03-2003, 07:28 PM
I was really careful in the early days but now not really at all.
When hunting (solo) for the AC in Sth Ro I ran around killing the “named” undead until it spawned then headed straight to it. (done that twice now) also hunting HGs in Rath is a lot more efficient with SEQ.
I am more careful in groups, I keep the info to myself.

I still don’t think I have spotted another SEQ user. A couple of time I thought I might have, but nothing definite.

S_B_R
11-03-2003, 07:55 PM
Since there aren't any GM's around anymore to speak of, I'd say as long as you aren't causing greif to other players you'll be safe. If you start pissing people off and making a name for yourself then they may keep a closer eye on you.

People get banned everyday for being assholes. Whether they are using SEQ or not doesn't really matter. SOE can ban you for no reason at all. The key is be nice to your fellow players and you can get away with pretty much anything... ... ...Just ask the MacorQuest folks... ;)

BlueAdept
11-03-2003, 09:34 PM
Im still pretty carefull not to give any hints that Im using it.

There have been a few exceptions, I have made hints like "are you sure there are no named up" or "lets explore a bit more, maybe there is a named up further in" in ldon.

Very seldomly have I ever beelined for something. Kind of pointless now a days.

Ice
11-03-2003, 11:36 PM
i dont make any secret of it. Theres four others in my guild that dont either. We call it Miss Cleo and she tells us where that missing mob of the script is (through a wall and 1k underground) and send the exploiting bard after it so we dont have to lose the script due to gay programming on SOEs part. Quite frankly, while i used to use it for uber tracking and feel kinda of guilty about seeing stuff i should be able to see as up or not (IE - NTOV) -- SOS rogues can go and look now so i dont feel to bad. Im just more efficent at it than them.

OgerSEQ
11-06-2003, 10:27 AM
Pretty much what S_B_R said. GM's don't really care what you are doing as long as you don't do it in front of them and no one petitions you. That's why the MQ'ers got busted. They were sitting in some remote city (Qeynos I think) and someone finally wandered in and got annoyed by the vendor spam. "Hello, Soandso, you look like you could use a Belt of Dwarf Slaying." ;) They had macros exploiting the fact that you could make arrows and sell them back for a profit.

I use SEQ in LDoN and never miss a named... When we are near one and we have a tracker, I ask the group, "any named up?" If no tracker then I just say, "Oohhh, looky what I stumbled upon with my great Eye of Zomm."

And you wouldn't believe the efficiency I can slaughter hill giants with. I can double or even triple my productivity there with the help of SEQ. Of course, I am as courteous as I can be, I don't KS and I don't even bother with the zone if alot of people are there.

EDIT: Bah also forgot to add that SEQ can be a nightsaver if I need to check for targets for my guild that only rogues can check(TZ/VZ/Burrower etc.) when no rogues are available to do so.

Roads
11-06-2003, 12:32 PM
I stopped being careful over a year ago... to the point where someone will be lost and i will tell them "turn right... go straight" from far away.. Guild leaders have had me check on named mobs... and find corpses.. i like seq for watching guys pull like in ntov or Vexthal you can see whats coming to kill you:)

Even if you get cuaght its only a game... go outside and see the sunshine:)

strattont
11-06-2003, 01:41 PM
Everyone in my guild knows I have it and Im in one of the strongest guilds on Fennin ro. All of the guild leaders have it. I point out all the named in any group I'm in and you know what, not one person has said anything cause they are /random 0 100 on the shit too =D

I'll flat out say the named's name in /g and give the damn /loc too.

Hell I get more groups because I use it.

Mu HAHAHAHA!

S_B_R
11-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Could this be a sign that SEQ is now too easy to install/setup??? :confused:

Roads
11-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Always been very easy to setup... but people always seem to think Gm's and sony are searching for SEQ users... im sure they could care less.. they have 100000 people to babysit.. unless you were spamming a zone saying "im the bestest Showeq user ever!" they wouldn't care...

monster69
11-06-2003, 03:15 PM
Bah S_B_R, it's not too easy yet. As soon as a Gentoo ebuild is posted, then it's too stinking easy. :D

Monster

skeeters-tony
11-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Roads, I totally agree with you, It's only a game !

Originally posted by Roads

Even if you get cuaght its only a game... go outside and see the sunshine:)

lildr00d
11-09-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm carefull about the info I gain from SEQ however I can usually spot those that are useing it. It's real easy in PoP zones where people sit at the zone in then tell their guild a named mob has spawned on the other side of the zone. Especially when its a Shaman or another class that can't track..

But then again SOE does not seem to pick up on this so I dont even know if they care or even watch

guice
11-09-2003, 09:23 PM
I'm not too concerned about being careful these days.

While I'm not going around telling everybody there is X spawn up, I do mention a lot in private guild channels that X is up in X location.

When I named is up, it depends on the group I'm in. If i know the people and they know I run it, I'll just state it in group chat X named is up and it's X far in. I use SEQ a lot to track the "next room". I use an excuse that I used the Eye of Zomm when people ask. Even with SEQ, the Zomm is the boom.

suseuser7341
11-12-2003, 05:14 AM
Hmmm I guess I am semi careful. Some close friends know it and I freely give them hints. Otherwise I stick to the old "Any stuff on track ?", "I got it marked on my map" or "I was told that XY is up" shit.
I think MySeq did make a great difference since now a broader base of players has access. While Sony clearly aimed for multi account owners with a recent campaign, thats perfect setup for MySeq too. So I figure that they are getting used to the fact that lot of people simply know what happens within the zone.

Circles
11-19-2003, 04:03 PM
whats ShowEQ? im a druid, hes on track, duh....

OgerSEQ
12-02-2003, 04:15 PM
Lol!

Hey guys! Trak is up! He's on track! What do you mean, of course I can track him fom ZI ::D

bones
12-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Yeh im a druid that uses Seq so i see everything on tracking. Plus guild members and know i have it so i am the person that checks mob pops.

perlmonkey
12-10-2003, 03:51 PM
I was in an odd situation the other day. I was grouping in a high-level zone and a named that we needed spawned on the other side of the zone. I was pulling, but ignored it because there was no way for me to explain away "finding" the mob.

Another guildie (who did NOT have tracking) said, "wait here, I'll be right back," made a b-line for the mob, and pulled it back to camp... I didn't know what to say ;-)

Ice
12-10-2003, 07:30 PM
If you are in a raiding guild, I guarantee you that at least the officers use or know 2/3 people in the guild that use SEQ. Most people in my guild know i use it as well as a few other members. If I need to explain something to guild member/s about something i am seeing on SEQ that would require me to give enough information to make it obvious how i know, i generally do so in AIM / Yahoo! to the people who need to know.

SEQ has saved us from many blown rings / ect that otherwise would have left us screwed. For example, Plane of Earth would be stupidly difficult without using SEQ.

Dedpoet
12-11-2003, 07:50 AM
Within the last few months I moved to a guild that was further along in the game than my old guild. I have used Seq for most of my EQ life. In my old guild I would occasionally see someone who I susptected was using Seq, by the way they ran through a zone, pulled a certain way, or whatever. Let me tell you though - at the high-end Luclin and mid-tier PoP level of the game, it seems like EVERYONE uses Seq. I'm sure it's the same at the elemental level and beyond.

In the last few months, I have seen more people bee-line for shard and key piece dropping mobs, check invisible triggers and out-of-track-range mobs from zone-in's, make unbelievable single pulls through crowded outdoor zones, and more.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that MySEQ has greatly expanded the user-base around the same time that I made this move, but it's definitely more noticeable at this level of the game. When 2 minutes can be the difference between your guild getting and losing a spawn, it's no surpise to see people using it. Seems like if you don't use it at this level, you'll be quickly left in the dust.

I am generally still very discrete about my use, but many people are not at all.

showeqnewb
12-11-2003, 09:00 PM
I have been found out be a few fellow guildies who also use SEQ.

I do things like... "what you you mean you cant find soandso's body i say him die right over here" as i bee line for their corpse.

"No really I think we should head a little deeper in, he might spawn on our way down there!" *mumbles to self* stupid non tracking fools.

I do things like accidentally run over someones corpse that has been shouting in ooc that they cant find their body and can anyone help them find it.

I am not blatent by any means but if you know what to look for it is pretty obvious that I am an extremely lucky puller!

lostpacket
12-25-2003, 07:21 PM
I told someone how to set up version 5 in group last night. And in ldon, we zone in and I call out the named, where they are, and the levels of the mobs in group.

If I'm going to get busted, I'm going down in a blaze of glory (as in the glory hole they'll turn me into when they bust me).

AnotherCoreDump
01-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Yo!

I am on the more careful side with SEQ. Sure, the box is up and running every time when I log on, but basically just to play my mp3 selection of the day :)
Anyway, I usually use SEQ coveredly. Like some people already mentioned in LDON, when I see named up, I ask for it when we have a tracker or I point out that my InGame map shows Named Locations (there are enough maps around that cover them), so I can make sure we go past all of them when I see one up. If not I leave them out.
Outside LDON I use it for getting corpses out of walls, find lost players in dungeons if noone else can find them, note down AFK players (people missing moves) to mention them to other officers for watch lists, writing down names of trainers and stuff.
Rarely I share info with others. Some of our officers know I use some sort of tool, I know that no other of our officer uses it (we have ALOT of special tracker rangers placed in a dozend of zones to do normal tracks and I am not part of the tracking crew), and I know of most of our guild members if they use some tool or not (97% don't use any tool). (And we speak of a large scale guild in EndGame, Elemental Access).
In solo game I use it to navigate around mobs, sometimes go for a named or something, but usually I am to busy to really "exploid" it.

I know some people who are not as careful (or lazy?) as me, but noone ever got any kind of problems, but they are all people who know how to play properly and follow some rules of conduct or even remember that there was a producers letter back in '99 about Kill Stealing.
If someone of my guild speaks openly about any kind of tool or bug to exploid anything, I remind him/her per tell about the EULA and ask him to think about what he broadcasts ... it usually works to keep the trouble away.

AnotherCoreDump
01-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Ah, I forgot to mention this:
Saw it happen back in the "old days", short before or after Kunak, can't remember now:
Was in a zone where AC spawns, there were around 6 people in zone hunting whatever you hunt.
All of the sudden, AC did spawn in a faroff place wide outside of tracking range.
3 of the people in zone instantly stared to rush to the mob, I did stay away, cause I was
a) too far off to make it
b) having dirty fingers from some fingerfood and not wanting to mess up my keyboard

Suddenly, before they did reach the mob, one after one, those people depopped. As I had done a /who when I entered the zone I was able to tell the names/guild they had been in.
After around a week I did contact members of these guilds to ask carefully if they knew these people - I did find out that they all had been banned.

This was at the very beginning of SEQ and EQ though, but back then, the DID hunt people with Fake Named spawns. Now the GM's will only try and hunt you down, if you manage to annoy them personally - either directly by spamming them (seen it), or indirektly, by making them work through a pile of /petitions.
Even serious bugs that may lead to exploids go uninvestigated, they have to be massively abused to be fixed, AFAIK.

MacQ
01-13-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm so careful I don't even tell myself I have SEQ

Barshamm
05-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by monster69
Bah S_B_R, it's not too easy yet. As soon as a Gentoo ebuild is posted, then it's too stinking easy. :D

Monster

Guess what? :rolleyes:

Alethal
05-16-2004, 11:58 AM
quote:Originally posted by monster69
Bah S_B_R, it's not too easy yet. As soon as a Gentoo ebuild is posted, then it's too stinking easy.

Monster

Guess what?

LOL.

games-util/showeq
Latest version available: 4.3.19
Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
Size of downloaded files: 1,875 kB
Homepage: http://seq.sourceforge.net
Description: A Everquest monitoring program
License: GPL-2

Anyway, to be honest... if you can run and install gentoo, you can install ShowEQ.

CybMax
05-18-2004, 10:09 AM
I try to be careful.. At least i do not boost about having it..

My main is a ranger, so i prolly "get away with it" a bit more than i would do playing something else tho.. Of course when we raiding and i say "Pop" on a named mob.. and get a tell from "Random_guild_ranger_02" about "How do you track that".. things get a little.. "uhm.. well.. ehh.. you see.. i was standing over by this wall.. prolly a fluke.." :P

Seriously tho.. as long as you are not too obvious and use it to mess with other ppl.. causing a petition on you, i guess you mostly safe tho..

Prolly quite a lot that have it tho.. myseq userbase is 5K and growing afaik..

Cryonic
05-18-2004, 10:50 AM
I have one of each of the tracking classes. I've found that the easiest way to avoid others asking things like "how did you find that" is to wait until the mob is within 1200 radial units from me as that is a little beyond the current mob position update radius (somewhere around 1000 - 1100). Rest of the time I just steer my group in the direction we need to go by saying "I think we should go this way". If anyone asks me why, I just say I've been on this adv before and the spawn was over that way last time....