PDA

View Full Version : ShowEQ and HPNA

Tawnosi
11-04-2003, 03:59 PM
I will preface my question with the standard 'I am a complete linux newbie' disclaimer.

I use a hpna network to play EQ. I would like to try to also use a linux box to run SEQ with a hpna network connection. From reading the hpna faq at HomePNA.org (http://www.homepna.org/support/faqs.asp) it seems that the drivers for hpna2 cards are only supported by older linux kernels (2.4.18 in RedHat 7.3 is the most recent). The SEQ faq states that older installs will not run SEQ unless GCC and QT are upgraded to versions more recent than the ones included in these older distributions. It also states that this should only be attempted by someone who knows what they are doing which unfortunately doesn't apply to me.

Has anyone gotten SEQ to work using an hpna adapter as the internet connection on the linux box? If i upgrade QT and GCC to version 3.x will i have to rebuild the kernel? I would assume this would break the linux drivers for the hpna card.

Cryonic
11-04-2003, 06:35 PM
Redhat 7.3 comes with a version of GCC > 3 (though it isn't the default compiler, read the FAQ or search for the redhat 7.3 SEQ install guides). As for having to rebuild the kernel because you installed a newer version of QT/GCC, well..... No you don't have to rebuild the kernel to deal with something like that.

Ratt
11-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Perhaps a better question to be asking is why you are using the HPNA instead of something more compatible?

Are you, for some reason, forced to use the HPNA?

fryfrog
11-05-2003, 02:53 AM
Tell me how it goes, I have about 4-6 of those cards laying around. For networking home computers that are quite a ways apart, they were quite great. The router was in the tv room and I could log in from my bedroom a story up and on the other side of the house.

The down side was ass-tastic linux support when I had them (ie, none) and they were fairly slow. I might just dig them out and look around some... of course, I have a WAP now that does the same thing and has much better linux support :/