PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XI Online

KaL
11-12-2003, 08:56 PM
I've been playing Final Fantasy XI the past few days, and it seems to have a lot of potential.

It's fun, has a lot of the same mechanics as EverQuest, but implemented from a different perspective. There are "zones" similar to EverQuest.

I ran tcpdump earlier just to see what the data looked like going back and forth to the server, and the packets don't appear to be encrypted at first glance.

Has anyone done any work yet on gleaning data from sniffing FFXI?

KaL

KaL
11-16-2003, 08:27 AM
No love for a "ShowFFXI" eh?

Oh well.

Mapfiend
11-21-2003, 12:54 AM
lol, ask Fatal.

high_jeeves
11-21-2003, 01:50 AM
I've been taking a look at the memory sniffing aproach to FFXI, but unless I am missing something major, it seems like the current memory stucture is not particularly condusive to network sniffing.

I have it working, but currently, updates take a bit over 10 seconds each... clearly not very useful. FFXI also uses the "bubble" method... the only things the client seems to know about are those that are in the immediate vicinity.

So far, heres what I know:

there is a huge list of objects somewhere in memory. All those objects start with this basic structure:

0: ??
1: boolean
2: next ptr
3: prev ptr
4: secondary next ptr (if boolean is true)
5: secondary prev ptr (if boolean is true)
X: other data, including name, loc, heading, etc. (but not levels :mad: )

this makes a wacky 2D linked list structure.. somewhere in this structure, are all the mobs, their locations, heading, and a few other bits of information. I think what I'm looking at here is actually the display representation (IE the mesh list). This list can be quite large (1000-7000 items even in a Mog house with 3 mobs, self, moogle, and door). Because of the size of the list, and the lack of any sort of structure (That i have found) telling me where the mobs are located in the list (They arent always together), the update time is huge.

I think there might be additional data to be found in memory, but so far, I'm at a loss.

There is also a list in memory which looks like this:

<dword><24 byte name><dword><24 byte name>....

which seems to contain all the spawns. the dword however is not a pointer, it appears to be more like an ID. this ID is also found in the mesh list I mentioned above, but is nowhere else in memory.

I will continue to investigate this, and will post any relevant findings (but probably wont provide source).

I took a look at the network sniffing approach, but only very breifly.. things look encrypted, and I cant pull any of the DLLs up in wdasm (they come back with no code listed). So I didnt spend any more time on it.

--Jeeves

Ratt
11-21-2003, 10:20 AM
I think I'm gonna have to look into this game... I'm hearing good things about it. I may try to pick it up this weekend and see what it's all about.

high_jeeves
11-21-2003, 10:39 AM
I'm enjoying it... The UI really blows.. and I mean REALLY blows... but once you get used to it, the game is lots of fun.

--Jeeves

Cobracommander
12-16-2003, 08:04 AM
my post in the FFXI general forum...I'm trying to get info from FFXI internally, haven't bothered trying to sniff network stream yet since I'm not trying to hack the game per se. I do have some cool stuff though, like a background app that lets my FFXI guild members do extra commands in game like

/gisendinvite [email protected] charactername

that will send an invitation to a player's email with a secure guild invitation. I am desperate trying to window the game though...

Mongo222
12-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Posted in wrong forum. Go look at the FFXI forum here at Project SEQ for the original post.

Message (http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4331)