PDA

View Full Version : Linux flavor suggestions?

reaver
11-13-2003, 10:52 AM
Was going to slap on Mandrake 9.2 on my laptop, but wanted to get some other opinions first.

It's an older laptop that I will use exclusively for SEQ.

I believe it's 450mhz Celeron, with 64 mb of ram and of course built-in sound and video.

My linux knowledge is moderate, bordering on beginner - mainly because it's been 10 years since I first dabbled heavily into unix and linux systems.

Any suggestions on linux variants that are fairly easy to install, may have built-in sound drivers, and would of course be a good platform for SEQ?

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

-Reaver

Cryonic
11-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Red Hat, Mandrake, Gentoo, Debian

Those 4 seem to be what are predominantly used (and probably in that order) for neophytes just wanting to run SEQ on a box.

junk
11-13-2003, 01:29 PM
First *NIXish OS I ever used was FreeBSD, then I started to use RedHat, tried Caldera OpenLinux, Mandrake, Debian, Slackware, back to RedHat, now I'm using Gentoo and loving it. Out of all the OSs I've tried, RedHat and Caldera were the two easiest in terms of install and upkeep. Of course, since Caldera acquired SCO, they suck. Of course, Gentoo is now my OS of choice, I don't see myself switching to anything else for a looooong time. But I'm also what I guess you could consider an "advanced" *NIX user, so I couldn't really tell you about the learning curve for Gentoo. Stick with RedHat 8 or 9 (or that Fedora if it's good) until you're comfortable with system maintenance and whatnot, then consider switching to Gentoo.