PDA

View Full Version : SEQ not being able to re-establish after EQ crashes.

Tor K'tal
11-14-2003, 09:24 AM
I have notived I have to restart SEQ if my EQ crashes. I beleive it has to do with SEQ not seeing the exiting zone packet and therefore not paying attention for an entering zone packet.

This only started occuring for me as of the 4.3.17.1 version of SEQ and has propigated to (or remained in) the 4.3.18 version, atleast that is only when I started noticing it.

I have been able to duplicate the occurance atleast once by doing a /camp desktop in EQ.

I tried to tell SEQ to monitor next session and to tell it to monitor the proper IP address again (tho it never stopped monitoring the proper IP from what I could determine). Both of these failed to make SEQ start responding properly.

Possabilities in my mind.
A) a bug (I am sure unintentional and not obvious or it wouldn't exist)
B) orperator error (this is what my money is on)
C) I failed to search (properly) for a common thread and thus didn't find the already posted solution. I read a couple performance issues threads but they didn't seem to tie into this, nor did the numorous threads about unkown spawns.

Zaph if this should be in the help forum, feel free (aka please) to move it.

~ TK

Cryonic
11-14-2003, 10:10 AM
I have no issues trying to see the next client if my current one crashes. Do you have Session Tracking enabled? What messages show up in the terminal when you tell SEQ to monitor next client seen? Are you doing that before or after you select a character?

Tor K'tal
11-14-2003, 11:00 AM
I start SEQ with ./showeq 10.0.0.2 and a second session of ./showeq 10.0.0.3 (which no longer actually tells SEQ the proper IP address to monitor, interesting as well. It currently takes the configuration file over the commandline prefrence for IP address it seems), it used to work and I used to be able to get weeks/months of play out of it until 4.3.14 (about the time LDoN came out).

When I say monitor next or tell it to monitor a different IP/same IP it isn't until after I have fully logged into EQ... that is because when the map doesn't move my character arround nor change zones, I notice it isn't working corretly. When this occures my CPU utilization is at a bare minimum (25% peaking most of the time less).

Session tracking is turned on.

It actually just occured to me again with a standard camp out and exit of EQ. How very odd.

apon a camp to desktop and logging back in this is what the last few lines of my terminal read.

(hand copied not copy and pasted)
<<--- logged in and the map and skittles popped up -->>
Loading Filter File: /usr/local/share/showeq/filters_nektulos.conf
GROUPSIZE: 0
MY Level: #
GroupTot: #
BONUS :100
Your player's id is ###
<<--- camp out to destop sent at this point --->>
EQPacket: SEQClosing detected, awaiting next zone session, pcap filter: EQ Client 10.0.0.3
<<--- this is what pops up once I get to the character select screen after logging back in--->>
EQPacket: SEQStart detected, pcap filter: EQ Client 10.0.0.3, Client port 1625 (this port changes)
GuildMgr: new guildsfile written
GuildMgr: quildsfile loaded
<<--- no more data come across -->>

I hear seassion monitoring a good thing but I'm unclear on what it really does.

~ TK

Cryonic
11-14-2003, 11:14 AM
Session Tracking is only needed if you are running two or more instances of EQ from the SAME computer. Otherwise it isn't really needed. This may be what is screwing you up.

You can set the IP address from inside of SEQ and then use save preferences to save it to the config file.

MightyWarrior
11-14-2003, 01:42 PM
I'm running 4.3.18 with no problems.

EQ crashes all the time on me (since LDoN) and I never have to restart SEQ after a crash.

I run dual boxes in EQ but only one session of SEQ. (3 screens is enough for me) :p

My system is PII 300
Mandrake 8.2
QT 3.1.1
GCC 3.0.4

I have been doing Clean installs since Zaphod has been releasing tarballs.

I do get unknowns now and then though.

Zaphod
11-14-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Tor K'tal
I start SEQ with ./showeq 10.0.0.2 and a second session of ./showeq 10.0.0.3 (which no longer actually tells SEQ the proper IP address to monitor, interesting as well. It currently takes the configuration file over the commandline prefrence for IP address it seems),

Use --ip-address=<clientip>, this has been that way for a LONG time...

it used to work and I used to be able to get weeks/months of play out of it until 4.3.14 (about the time LDoN came out).

When I say monitor next or tell it to monitor a different IP/same IP it isn't until after I have fully logged into EQ... that is because when the map doesn't move my character arround nor change zones, I notice it isn't working corretly. When this occures my CPU utilization is at a bare minimum (25% peaking most of the time less).

Session tracking is turned on.

Do not use session tracking unless you are actually running two instances of EQ on the same machine (ie. using EQW). If the client crashes out you have to re-toggle session tracking, but that is a design feature of session tracking (since you have to signify which of the EQ clients for this showeq instance to lock onto.

It actually just occured to me again with a standard camp out and exit of EQ. How very odd.

apon a camp to desktop and logging back in this is what the last few lines of my terminal read.

(hand copied not copy and pasted)
<<--- logged in and the map and skittles popped up -->>
Loading Filter File: /usr/local/share/showeq/filters_nektulos.conf
GROUPSIZE: 0
MY Level: #
GroupTot: #
BONUS :100
Your player's id is ###
<<--- camp out to destop sent at this point --->>
EQPacket: SEQClosing detected, awaiting next zone session, pcap filter: EQ Client 10.0.0.3
<<--- this is what pops up once I get to the character select screen after logging back in--->>
EQPacket: SEQStart detected, pcap filter: EQ Client 10.0.0.3, Client port 1625 (this port changes)
GuildMgr: new guildsfile written
GuildMgr: quildsfile loaded
<<--- no more data come across -->>

I hear seassion monitoring a good thing but I'm unclear on what it really does.

~ TK

Do NOT use session tracking/monitoring whatever you choose to call it UNLESS you are running multiple EQ instances on the SAME client machine!

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

P.S. Moved to the ShowEQ Help Desk forum. If in doubt of whether it may be a help desk post or not, do Help Desk.

Tor K'tal
11-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Zaphod
Use --ip-address=<clientip>, this has been that way for a LONG time...

Good to know... according to the usage in the --help it is
./showeq [<options>] [<client IP address>]
This suggests to me I don't need the --ip-address=<clientip>, though I do see it in the list, I just went with the first indication which is similar to when I used to run ./showeq -i eth0 10.0.0.2, but that was 3 or 4 years ago. I just assumed it still worked that way.

Do NOT use session tracking/monitoring whatever you choose to call it UNLESS you are running multiple EQ instances on the SAME client machine!

And this is very good and useful information. Thank you. So all you folks that were telling me to turn it on while trying to diagnose why I get zones that just suddenly fall so far behind that the map no longer updates and SEQs CPU usage jumps to 90% with out explination were giving me inaccurate information. But I will assume that it is my fault because I failed to describe my setup properly, in this thread (http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4059). I'm still not sure why that happens and it only happen to monitoring of machine A and never machine B, but I am guessing it is a problem with machine A of some kind, though I don't know how it could be or what it could be.

Thank you much for the info Zaph

~ TK