PDA

View Full Version : seq locking up, need suggestions

carpaltunnel
11-25-2003, 05:32 PM
I'm running seq on a fairly low end box, 400mhz and 128 mb of ram. I always 2 box, so I run 2 instances of seq at a time. Running Redhat 8.something, I forget.

My problem is my main char is a bard, and after twisting songs for a while in a zone that seq session freezes. The other instance with my druid on it continues to run and update. If I look at the shell where I started the bard seq session, it's spammed with song casting messages. I'm guessing that my computer just sucks ass and gets stuck in a backlog of information, since bards "cast" every 3 seconds for extended periods of time.

Is there anything I can do to try to eliminate this? I don't care about tracking the bard's casting.

Cryonic
11-25-2003, 10:20 PM
Easy, since you are two boxing the bard and druid (guess they must be in same zone together). Watch the druid with SEQ and not the bard and then use the tracking feature of SEQ to have the map follow the bard around if he does the pulling instead of following the player/druid.

Tor K'tal
11-26-2003, 09:31 PM
I face the same problem but I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to do with you being a bard, since I'm a warrrior and see the problem. Some zones it seems to be more subsebital than others, but why it is zone related is beyond my understanding of how the communication works.

I started a topic on it over here (http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4059) but no real solution came from it. The suggestion to use session tracking is only something that someone running 2+ EQ sessions on the same machine would need to use, and there is no reason anyone running 1 session of EQ or using a physiclly different machine for each EQ session should use.

~ TK

carpaltunnel
11-28-2003, 12:59 PM
I have been using the druid's session to watch the bard, but in large zones mob and player updates aren't perfect at a distance. It's really most annoying when I'm not 2boxing.

I agree it's not bard specific just seems that the bard tends to generate more spell spam, leading me to believe that's contributing to the lockup.

Something else I just noticed, I don't lock up in PoN. PoD, PoI, PoV, PoS all exhibit the behavior, but for some reason doing the same thing I do in other zones, PoN dosen't lock.

I read the other thread, X isn't hogging all the cpu. Session tracking dosen't seem to have any benefit, and I'm running EQ on 2 seperate comps. The problem persists when I only have 1 EQ session going as well.

I chalking it up to a slow ass seq box / not enough ram / slow disk or some other hardware bottleneck getting hit.

Cryonic
11-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Heh, a 400MHz CPU with 128MB can't be the problem since I run SEQ on a P150 w/ 80MB RAM without issues. If you really think it is some subsystem of your computer that is the issue, then look at the load on your system in top when the problem happens. If it is > 1.00, then you might be right.

If so:
What kind of vid card are you running?

What Window manager are you running?

What other processes are going on in the background?

How much RAM/Swap space is in use?

What Distro are you running?

Ice
11-29-2003, 06:01 AM
My SEQ box is far worse than any of the aforemenchioned seq boxes. It *can* get laggy at times, but it generally catches up. I 'uber' raid and it deals with 60+ people in a zone mass clearing without TOO much lag (as in it updates slowly on occasion but never faults).

I highly doubt that its a physical hardware problem, unless of course you just have some hardware that linux in general doesnt like.