PDA

View Full Version : Error during compile

Grandizer
12-01-2003, 01:15 AM
Compiled without a hitch. Run it, set it to the IP address of my EQ machine, nada. Checked everything a few times over, no ideas. Where should I start?

Dedpoet
12-01-2003, 06:41 AM
Start with more information.

What do you mean, nada? Do you get errors in the terminal window you started from? Do you get a seg fault? Does the window open but just sit there and not see your EQ session?

What distribution are you using? What hardware are you using? What is your network layout? And most importantly, are you certain you are using a hub to connect your EQ and Seq computers together? My psychic powers and the power of experience tell me that this is most likely your problem. If I had to guess, your machines are both connected to a broadband router. Routers are switches, which don't broadcast traffic to all of its ports, therefore the Seq box has no way to see EQ traffic.

There is a lot of info on this exact issue (http://www.macsrule.com/~seqfaq/seq-faq.html?s=&menu=9#4.4) in the FAQ, which is linked on the left side of this page.

I hope that helps. If this is not your problem, try posting some more information. Just saying "it doesn't work" doesn't help us help you at all.

Grandizer
12-01-2003, 08:55 PM
You just got it. I'm using a LinkSys switch, not a hub. I'll get a hub.

Grandizer
12-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Ok, I have tried everything...

Using Red Hat 9. Updated it to support the new RHN, did a massive update.

Switched to KDE from Gnome, which was having load problems.

Bought a Hub, LikSys EFAH05W.

Compile went perfectly. Loads just fine. Enter the IP address of the EQ machine, nothing shows up. This happened with 4.3.18 and 5.0.0.

I thought maybe it was PPPoE, but I use a cable modem, not DSL and didn't set it up for PPPoE.

Any other ideas please?

BlueAdept
12-11-2003, 12:11 AM
Most linksys hubs are actually switches. Also a diagram of your network might help.

Like:

Inet
|
Linux
|
hub --- Windows2
|
Windows

or

Inet
|
Router
|
hub
| | |
Windows Win2 Linux

who_me_use_seq
12-11-2003, 12:27 AM
Have you run tcpdump? Have you thought to provide us with any useful information about your network topology? Have you even attached any informational messages from your SEQ terminal window? Have you done ANYTHING besides some vague hand waving? I don't think that it is a valid statement to say that you have "tried everything" when you have clearly tried next to nothing beyond whining.

And let me just ask the obvious here....Have you searched at all? Didn't think so. Because if you had you would find that questions like this one generate nothing but flames and disdain. Questions about real problems that provide actual information about the problem are the ones that get answered.

BlueAdept
12-11-2003, 12:35 AM
By the way this is from the faq

4.4 - For some reason even though I compiled and run ShowEQ, no map is loaded and no mobs or other info is shown. Is ShowEQ broken?
No, chances are pretty good that you are using a switch instead of a hub. To get the information that you are seeing in EverQuest, that data has to be seen by the Linux computer as well. A switch directs traffic only to the two computers (nodes) involved. A hub broadcasts all traffic to all nodes that are connected to it.
If you are connected to the internet with your EverQuest computer using a directly connected dial up, DSL, or cable modem and have another NIC in your computer Microsoft Windows will not broadcast the packets out over the second NIC.

99.9% of the time those Residential Gateway/Routers made by LinkSys, Dlink, etc... with X number of ports are switches. This means you will have to plug all your computers into a real hub, then uplink that hub to your router/gateway.

Another recent "feature" of many current hubs is that in a most situations, they will behave as switches. This sucks, but can be worked around. Typically, the 10mbit and the 100mbit section of a 10/100 hub are switched. So if EQ is 100mbit and SEQ is 10mbit, they won't see each other's traffic. Also, if a 10mbit device is hooked to the 10/100 hub it will frequently become a REAL hub on the 100mbit section. So, if your router is 10mbit and your SEQ and EQ boxes are 100mbit all hooked to the same hub-switch, you should probably be able to sniff packets! This is true for most LinkSys hubs, and some Netgear and Bay Network hubs.

The answer is right there in the last paragraph of the quote from the FAQ that Dedpoet told you to read.

If you are positive that your linksys is truely working as a hub and not a switch, then the problem probably lies in your network setup.

Grandizer
12-11-2003, 12:41 AM
Blue, I could try scenario 2.

Who me, I must confess some Linux ignorance. As for searching, I would gladly do it if it worked. Entering a search gets an error back saying the module isn't active. Otherwise I'd look for answers, likeif there are switches for a tcpdump. A straight typing of it gets tons of this:

2:34:42.314437 arp who-has c-24-126-9-72.we.client2.attbi.com tell c-24-126-8-1.we.client2.attbi.com
22:34:42.314831 c-24-126-9-114.we.client2.attbi.com.32769 > ns7.attbi.com.domain: 48466+ PTR? 72.9.126.24.in-addr.arpa. (42) (DF)
22:34:42.317853 c-24-126-9-114.we.client2.attbi.com.32769 > ns7.attbi.com.domain: 48466+ PTR? 72.9.126.24.in-addr.arpa. (42) (DF)
22:34:42.327828 c-24-126-9-114.we.client2.attbi.com.32769 > ns7.attbi.com.domain: 48466+ PTR? 72.9.126.24.in-addr.arpa. (42) (DF)
22:34:42.353634 ns7.attbi.com.domain >

And here's what a ./showeq -r yielded. I know about the files I need to copy, but from what I can tell I can get by without them for now.

howEQ 5.0.0.1, released under the GPL.
SINS 0.5, released under the GPL.
All ShowEQ source code is Copyright (C) 2000-2003 by the respective ShowEQ Developers
ShowEQ comes with NO WARRANTY.

You may redistribute copies of ShowEQ under the terms of
The GNU General Public License.
See: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html for more details...

For updates and information, please visit http://seq.sourceforge.net/
ShowEQ 5.0.0.1, Built from 'main.cpp' on Dec 10 2003 at 21:42:32
CVS: @(#) $Id: main.cpp,v 1.33.6.1 2003/12/07 06:30:43 dohpaz Exp $ $Name: $
Using GCC version: 3.2.2
Using glibc version: 2.3
Using Qt version: 3.1.1
Using headers from linux version: 2.4.20
Using EQItemDB: @(#) $Id: itemdb.cpp,v 1.10.6.1 2003/12/07 06:30:43 dohpaz Exp $ $Name: $
Using GDBM: This is GDBM version 1.8.0, as of May 19, 1999.
Running on Linux release 2.4.20-24.9 for processor i686

Using config file '/root/.showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Info: Listening for first client seen.
Info: Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, searching for EQ client...
Warning: Spells: Failed to open: '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_us.txt'
Debug: ItemDB: Disabled
Info: Loading Filters from '/usr/local/bin'
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /usr/local/bin
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /usr/local/bin
Warning: GuildMgr: Could not load guildsfile, /root/.showeq/tmp/guilds2.dat
Info: Categories Reloaded
Info: No Map found for zone 'unknown'!
Info: Checked for all variants of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info: in directories '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!
Warning: EQStr: Failed to open '/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt'

Grandizer
12-11-2003, 12:46 AM
I read the FAQ about it. Both the Linux and Windows XP boxes are running at 100mbits and so is the connection to the cable modem. 100 all around.

who_me_use_seq
12-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Search works for me. Not sure what problems you have been having with it but I just ran it and it worked like a champ.

Zaphod
12-11-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Grandizer
Blue, I could try scenario 2.

Who me, I must confess some Linux ignorance. As for searching, I would gladly do it if it worked. Entering a search gets an error back saying the module isn't active.

Use the http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/images/top_search.gif (http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/search.php?s=) search button in the upper right hand corner of the forum pages. Don't use the stupid "Search Box" in the upper left that Ratt really ought to remove since it has never worked and only serves to confuse the users.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

BlueAdept
12-11-2003, 09:04 AM
I read the FAQ about it. Both the Linux and Windows XP boxes are running at 100mbits and so is the connection to the cable modem. 100 all around.

How is the network set up. The cable modem doesnt go into your windows machine first does it?

Inet
|
Windows ------- hub ------ linux

Grandizer
12-11-2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks Zaphod. I was using the search box on the upper left.

My connection is:

Cable wire - > cable modem -> hub uplink port -> Win box and Linux box.

Same setup as I had a year and a half ago when SEQ worked perfectly (in the era before sniffers were required). Only difference was I had that old 3Com hub, which has since died (don't ask).

BlueAdept
12-11-2003, 12:32 PM
Thanks Zaphod. I was using the search box on the upper left.

My connection is:

Cable wire - > cable modem -> hub uplink port -> Win box and Linux box.

I believe the problem is still the hub. Because cablemodems are 10 mb, plugging it into the uplink is still probably causing it to act as a switch since your other 2 machines are at 100 mb.

I would suggest either getting a second nic card for the linux machine and run it this way

Inet
|
Linux (linux would have 2 nic cards)
|
Hub
|
Windows

Or get a cheap router and go this route

Inet
|
Router
|
Hub -- Linux
|
Win

Just keep an eye out on www.techbargains.com or www.dealnews.com for sales on routers. There was a free one, but they sold out today.

Grandizer
12-12-2003, 01:17 PM
But this was the setup I had before. Cable modem into the uplink port on a 3Com OfficeConnect hub. Sorry, don't remember the model number but it's off the market now. Would there be a difference between that hub and the newer LinkSys hubs?

S_B_R
12-12-2003, 03:55 PM
ALL Linksys hubs are Switches, learn that rule and you will succeed.

BlueAdept
12-12-2003, 07:27 PM
About 90% of hubs now a days are actually switching hubs. Meaning that if there is a 10 mb and a 100 mb connection, it will act as a switch. If all the connections are 100 mb, it will act as a hub, if all connections are 10 mb it will act as a hub, if you have a 10 mb connection from a cable modem and 2 100 mb connections, it will probably act as a switch.

Grandizer
12-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Well, I went back to what I knew worked. In the days of yore, I had a 3Com OfficeConnect hub and SEQ worked. That hub went south, which is why I went with LinkSys. But I bought a new OfficeConnect off eBay, it arrived, and voila! SEQ works like a charm.

I think we should give 3Com an endorsement. ;)