PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else notice this? (Is SOE trying to get us?)

I<3EQ
12-04-2003, 05:27 AM
One of the things I use SEQ for is finding ground drops. Before, there would be the occasional inaccesible drop (i.e. inside a wall, underground, etc.) but now there seem to be a ton of them. Is SOE putting these drops there knowing that we can see them and then flagging us when we go to try to find them?

This is a very old trick that's been used in a number of different industries... back before digital cable when people were using crude analog descramblers, the cable companies would place banners on the screen that legitimate boxes would not be able to decode and legitimate users would not see. People using illegal boxes would see something like "Cable_Co_XYZ Thanks You for Purchasing WWF Summer Slam XXVIIQPSDFJKDSJ -- As a sign of our apprieciation the first 500 customers to call 1-800-blahblahblah will receive a FREE Summer Slam T-Shirt! Call Now!" They'd have live operators on the line who would pretend you were one of the first 500 and cordially take your name and address and everything.

Needless to say those who called got a nice fine from the FCC instead of their free t-shirt. I wonder if SOE is doing something similar now. I wonder if they're flagging those of us who linger too long near things we shouldn't be able to see.

Maybe there should be some kind of symbol or flag for inaccessible or poorly placed items in SEQ or maybe those things could be filtered out entirely. Maybe I'm just a bit too paranoid for my own good. :-)

Has anyone else noticed anything similar to this? Any other tricks we should be on the lookout for?

uRit1u2CBBA=
12-04-2003, 09:37 AM
They've always left "easter eggs" behind.

There used to be an invisible man in the old PoHate named "SEQ Sucks" or something along those lines.

There is an invisible man in North Qeynos near the PoK book named "Gnoll Dung".

As always, be carefull as to how you are using it. Know he zone and how the maps look in zones to see if something is in the wall or not, etc.

S_B_R
12-04-2003, 01:52 PM
They don't care about you using SEQ as long as you aren't bugging other players...

who_me_use_seq
12-04-2003, 04:42 PM
The Hate easter egg was "sequsers_are_lame" If I recall correctly.

I<3EQ
12-05-2003, 01:07 AM
Hmmm, guess I'm just paranoid then and the ground drops are of the normal "stuck in the [wall/ground/rock/whatever] type". I think I might just keep my tin hat on though... just in case. ;)

Kalie
12-09-2003, 07:35 PM
Ground drops always seem to accumulate in unreachable areas when the server stays up for several weeks without going down. It's been like this for years.

If an industrious GM or Guide was watching though picking up ground drops in general, going from one to the next, would be a great way to indicate SEQ usage... :p

Ice
12-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Back in the day i used to SEQ my way to Yew Leaves in Wakening Lands. Im talking like months ago. As time passed, there would always be tons stuck in trees and stuff as they randomly just respawn in a bad spot. Actully, after a while, there would only be like 1 of 12 that was able to be snagged.

So, to the point, No, i think this is just an artifact of the way they spawn, so to speak.

perlmonkey
12-10-2003, 03:20 PM
Along the same lines, I have been noticing for the last few months a profusion of mobs that path into "cracks" in the geometry and get stuck. Do the SOE devs have nothing like SEQ? Don't they know about this pathing bug? It really hoses places like the Diaku camp in PoS, but where I see it hurt the most is actually in the newbie zones. One of two things will happen. Either the newbies show up to find that there are 3-5 mobs for them to hunt while the rest are lost, or MUCH worse, the unsuspecting newbie wiz or necro tries casting an AE spell near one of these "cracks"... they don't usually live long enough to have any clue what just happened ;-)