PDA

View Full Version : Here is a new one, at least to me

gomped
01-31-2002, 10:12 AM
Ok, I am going to try to fix this on my own, but any input would also be welcome...

After successfully compiling QT2.3.2 my KDE windows no longer works. I can start X by simply typing X but when I go startx (which loads up KDE by default) it just dumps me back to my terminal. Now when I compiled QT2.3.2 I used

mv QT2.3.2 QT in my /usr/lib so I am guessing that KDE uses some of the old libraries and cannot find them now. However tailing the logs has not produced what it is looking for and not finding.

The other problem I am having is that when I go to ./configure && make I get a libpcap error, but this is simply a matter of not having that installed yet... my stupid mistake... the Xwindows problem is greater. I will post solutions here IF I find them :-)

high_jeeves
01-31-2002, 12:05 PM
KDE is trying to use the old QT libraries. You have 2 choices here, keep both old and new libraries (new int /usr/local/qt-2.3.2 or such), and specify QT_DIR and LD_LIBRARY_PATH before you build and run showEQ.

Option 2 is to rebuild KDE and all other QT apps with gcc3...

I highly recommend option 1.

--Jeeves

gomped
01-31-2002, 01:04 PM
Actually what worked for me what removing the line in my /etc/profile concerning the LD_LIBRARY_PATH since it is not needed after you are finished compiling qt-2.3.2. This worked fine for getting back into X. As far as the libpcap error was concerned, I just needed to install the right libraries.

Now I have it up and running! Succes.

Runs much better on the P2-400 than it did on the P133 :-)

Cryonic
02-01-2002, 01:49 AM
my way of dealing with SEQ:

have QT rpms from RH7.2 for KDE rpms
in a new directory compile QT 2.3.2 with -thread option and gcc3
within an Xterm setup the shell variables:
CC=/usr/bin/gcc3
CXX=/usr/bin/g++3
QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
PATH=$QTDIR/bin:$PATH
MANPATH=$QTDIR/doc/man:$MANPATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$QTDIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH CC CXX

These changes are temporary as they will only affect that Xterm while it is open.

Compile SEQ/SINS:
make -f Makefile.dist && ./configure && make && make install

create two shell scripts for SEQ and SINS

/root/startseq:

#!/bin/bash
QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/usr/local/bin/showeq $1
#End Script

/root/startsins:

#!/bin/bash
QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt-2.3.2
export QTDIR PATH MANPATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH

/usr/local/bin/sins $1
#End Script

Now I can start SINS or SEQ without having to change a thing. Within the shell script the environment variables are changed, quit SINS or SEQ and the changes die with the script. :)

No changes made to my profile and the few changes to the shell environment are temporary.