PDA

View Full Version : Gentoo Question

Chuin
12-19-2003, 11:19 AM
If you do an install from stage1... How many of the needed libraries and programs are installed by default?

flipper
12-19-2003, 12:02 PM
Someone was nice enough to submit an ebuild for SEQ 4.3.18. To see what libraries (and other packages) you will need, do the following:

cd /usr/portage/games-util/showeq
emerge -p showeq-4.3.18.ebuild

It will show you what needs to be installed for SEQ to work.

Alfred
12-19-2003, 12:38 PM
I think you can get away with using simply showeq instead of the full version spec. :)

S_B_R
12-19-2003, 12:47 PM
I've only messed around with Gentoo for a couple days a few months ago but, won't emerge fulfill the package requirements if you were to just install the showeq ebuild?

Chuin
12-19-2003, 01:06 PM
Yes it would, but the new SEQ requires some updated libraries and programs that the emerge version does not include. I would prefer not to have multi copies of GCC or other dependancies if I can avoid it.

junk
12-19-2003, 03:03 PM
To answer your question, NONE of the needed libraries or programs are installed by default in a stage 1 install. Or really any version of Gentoo, for that matter. You install stuff as you need it. As for the ebuild that's in Portage right now, when it downloads and installs (if necessary) the required packages, it would download the newest versions available. It would just install ShowEQ 4.3.18 instead of ShowEQ 5.0.0.2. Having the newest versions of gcc and qt aren't going to prevent you from using ShowEQ v4.3.18.

(edit: typo)

Chuin
12-19-2003, 04:40 PM
I see I wasnt specific enough and after re-reading my post I can see where you get the wrong idea.

I am building this system from scratch and doing a complete install from stage1 through stage3. Yes, by default some programs get installed during this phase that SEQ 5??? requires(GCC) for example. I do not have a desire to load Seq 4.3.18 since this is a completely new build.

Flipper has the correct idea that will help me... If I do an 'emerge -p showeq', this will show me what SEQ 4.3.18 needs and if I install the latest stable of these same packages, I should be fine.

Anyway, I hope this will work...