PDA

View Full Version : RH8 QT question.

Ice
12-20-2003, 03:23 AM
Is it possible to install the necessary QT files for SEQ5 on a RH8 box? I tried using rpmfind to get what i needed, but working down the dependancies i finally got to one that simply said:

glibc < 2.3.2 conflicts with glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8

(this is after getting trying to install -> glibc-2.3.2-4.80.8.i386.rpm qt-3.1.1-6.i386.rpm
glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.i386.rpm qt-devel-3.1.1-6.i386.rpm ) which all claim to be dependant on the others.

Thoughts for the newb?

Tor K'tal
12-20-2003, 07:00 AM
I opt'ed to compile QT since I couldn't find a QT RPM that matches RedHat 8.0

Important information and basic steps if you are going to sit through, in my case, the 7 hour compile of QT.

1 -> DL the QT library from trolltech

2 -> untar it

3 -> move (mv) said untar'ed file to the proper place on your system, the place you are going to have the QTDIR export pointing to (I used /usr/lib/qt-3.2.3)

4 -> export the QTDIR variable, along with a couple others. I found the pertinant information for them in the INSTALL.newbie file of SEQ

5 -> compile QT from that directory, ./configure --thread && make (and begin the wait, not as long an install of Gentoo but a long wait for sure)... this also is in the INSTALL.newbie file.

6 -> edit the default exports so you don't have to type them in every time. The files to edit are /etc/profile.d/qt.???? (should be a .sh and .csh, you may have more or less depending on what various shell's you have installed on you're system). I personally made a symbolic link in my /usr/lib called QT3 and exported that. So now when I install a new version of QT3.x I will just change that sym link to the right directory for the version

7 -> while not manditory, I advise rebooting (my windowsness showing through).

8 -> DL (if you haven't already) and Compile SEQ 5b.x If you have attempted to compile a version of SEQ 5b with the incorrect QT version, you will need to do a "make clean" and a "make -f Makefile.dist" to clean up malformed files that may have been created but your earlier attempts.

Lastly, if this all seems too complicated grab a copy of RH9 and run the upgrade process when you boot from the CD, it will bring your QT version up to the same one Zaph uses. I chose not to do this personally because everytime I "upgrade" my RedHat version it takes me weeks to get my web server back in running order, since I need/use newer versions of some of the standard redhat distro'ed stuff (PHP, Apache, couple others).

If nothing else that should help you in the right direction.

~ TK

Ice
12-22-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Tor K'tal

6 -> edit the default exports so you don't have to type them in every time. The files to edit are /etc/profile.d/qt.???? (should be a .sh and .csh, you may have more or less depending on what various shell's you have installed on you're system). I personally made a symbolic link in my /usr/lib called QT3 and exported that. So now when I install a new version of QT3.x I will just change that sym link to the right directory for the version

Made it this far (yay). My question is, where do i point the links in these files?

EDIT --- Well, went ahead and tried doin the compile and running seq w/o doin this, apparently, i didnt need to cuz i got skittles now. Thanks much for the great help.

Tor K'tal
12-23-2003, 04:44 AM
I'm glad it worked out for you

The problem with skipping step six, and it really isn't a problem, is that you have to export the QTDIR everytime before you run ./configure and stuff for SEQ 5b.

By changing those files you get the benefit of it sticking even after rebooting and everytime you open a new/different terminal window, and it is system wide rather than just user specific.

Where to point them to, is to point them at the directory you put exported to get SEQ to compile. For me it would be specificly /usr/lib/qt-3.2.3 ... unless you want to do some fun tricks with symbolic links and stuff, but to keep it symbol simply the same directory your new version of QT resides in.

My guess is you also skipped step 7, or your export would have been lost on reboot, unless of course you put the never version of QT in the same directory as your old one. While this might technicly work it is highly unadvisable and very sloppy.

~ TK

Cryonic
12-23-2003, 09:41 AM
The danger in making that a system wide change is that some apps may be dependant on the older QT that came with the system and may not work with the newer QT. Since the only time you need to change the QTDIR variable is when rebuilding SEQ, then just remember to do either

QTDIR=/path/to/qt ./configure

or

./configure --with-qt=/path/to/qt