PDA

View Full Version : pointing to wrong location?

Shadow_Walker
12-20-2003, 11:39 AM
For some reason the 5.0.0.3 is not Pointing to the proper location for the ShowEQ Folder. It is most likly that I am forgetting to put in a setting some place and I am not seeing it. So I need some help in solving this and requesting some assistance in this area..

I did a new install of RedHat 9, So all my defult settings are lost. The OS is working fine and I was able to DownLoad the Tar of the ShowEQ 5.0.0.3 with out any issuse.

I then complied the code, also with out any issue. I then bashed the program out to check it out, evey thing seem to be ok and I started setting it up for what I wanted, but it did not save my setting.. so looking at the terminial I was seeing something odd and this is where I need help

ShowEQ output:

Using config file '/root/.showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Loaded preferences file: /root/.showeq/showeq.xml!
Info: Listening for client: 127.0.0.0
Info: Initializing Packet Capture Thread:
Info: Filtering packets on device eth0, IP host 127.0.0.0
Info: Loaded 4570 spells from '/usr/local/share/showeq/spells_us.txt' macSpell=0x1271
Debug: ItemDB: Disabled
Info: Loading Filters from '/root'
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /root
Info: Loading Zone Filter File: /root
Warning: GuildMgr: Could not load guildsfile, /root/.showeq/tmp/guilds2.dat
Info: Categories Reloaded
Info: No Map Found for zone 'unknown'!
Info: Checked for all variats of 'unknown.map', 'unknown.txt', and 'unknown_1.txt'
Info: in directoried '/root/.showeq/maps' and '/usr/local/share/showeq/maps'!
Info: Loaded 9212 message strings from '/usr/local/share/showeq/eqstr_us.txt' maxFormat=44698
[root@Linux root]#

Now I see it changes if I move into different folders but why is it not pointing all request to the /usr/local/share/showeq folder? and where can I tell it to point all the time to that place?

Thank you in advance for your help :rolleyes:

Shadow_Walker
12-20-2003, 11:47 AM
I do see that you can Force it to another location with the

showeq -o CONFIGFILE or showeq -o /usr/local/share/showeq

Yet, I was wondering how I could set it up so that I do not have to do this all the time

Yet this dose not change the base Location for the location of the filter

Zaphod
12-20-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Shadow_Walker
For some reason the 5.0.0.3 is not Pointing to the proper location for the ShowEQ Folder. It is most likly that I am forgetting to put in a setting some place and I am not seeing it. So I need some help in solving this and requesting some assistance in this area..

I did a new install of RedHat 9, So all my defult settings are lost. The OS is working fine and I was able to DownLoad the Tar of the ShowEQ 5.0.0.3 with out any issuse.

I then complied the code, also with out any issue. I then bashed the program out to check it out, evey thing seem to be ok and I started setting it up for what I wanted, but it did not save my setting.. so looking at the terminial I was seeing something odd and this is where I need help

ShowEQ output:

Using config file '/root/.showeq/showeq.xml'
Loaded preferences file: /usr/local/share/showeq/seqdef.xml!
Loaded preferences file: /root/.showeq/showeq.xml!

From that output it looks like it is loading the appropriate settings file. User files and settings are now by default loaded/saved in the users $HOME/.showeq directory.

When you do a "Save Preferences" from the "File" menu it also outputs where it saved the preferences to, which should in this case be "/root/.showeq/showeq.xml".

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Shadow_Walker
12-20-2003, 01:42 PM
Thanks Zaphod (dohpaZ),

But any way that I can change the code so that it dose not use the $HOME/.showeq Folder and revert it back to the /usr/local/share/showeq Folder?

Zaphod
12-20-2003, 02:13 PM
Thanks Zaphod (dohpaZ),

But any way that I can change the code so that it dose not use the $HOME/.showeq Folder and revert it back to the /usr/local/share/showeq Folder?

Why? What would that solve? If you want to use your old showeq.xml file just copy it to the $HOME/.showeq folder.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)

Shadow_Walker
12-20-2003, 02:28 PM
Ok this is why I want it to be pointed to one location..

True the program will by default point to the $home/.showeq folder for the confige file. But here is a problem.. All the filters will change to what ever directory you are in at the time..

example

if I am in the /root directory all filters will look there..
yet if I am in the /seq directory, the filter will no longer look in the root dir but in the /seq folder...

If you are changing the default point to a different location, would it not seem reasonable that the filters should also point to the same point.

I just happen to enjoy having every thing under one folder and not in a buch of little places.. but I can see the ease of having it in the root.. but some reason no matter where you are at.. the filters will change or be lost unless you are in the same directory at the time you start up..

So if the Zone filter file: was not supposed to change from the $HOME/.showeq then it is and will casue a problem since I personly do a lot of moving around in the Terminal area..

Secound I do not like to have the filters in the /root Directory, I would rather have them in a sub folder or some other point where that is all that is in there.. soo any way to fix this.

My suggestion would be point the request in the XML area..

Zaphod
12-20-2003, 10:08 PM
Ok this is why I want it to be pointed to one location..

True the program will by default point to the $home/.showeq folder for the confige file. But here is a problem.. All the filters will change to what ever directory you are in at the time..

example

if I am in the /root directory all filters will look there..
yet if I am in the /seq directory, the filter will no longer look in the root dir but in the /seq folder...

You are incorrect. The HOME environment variable points to the home directory of whatever account you are logged into and has nothing to do with the current working directory. So regardless of what your current working directory is it will look under the appropriate directory. If you are logged in as root, HOME will probably equal /root, if your logged in as iamalittleteapot, HOME will be set to your home directory (probably /home/iamalittleteapot).

If you are changing the default point to a different location, would it not seem reasonable that the filters should also point to the same point.

It does... In both cases it checks the users directory first, and then failing that falls back to the package data directory. So, in fact it checks for filters in $HOME/.showeq/filters first and then falls back to /usr/local/share/showeq/filters. These directories are all listed in the ShowEQ 5 Beta 1 announcment post.

I just happen to enjoy having every thing under one folder and not in a buch of little places.. but I can see the ease of having it in the root.. but some reason no matter where you are at.. the filters will change or be lost unless you are in the same directory at the time you start up..

So if the Zone filter file: was not supposed to change from the $HOME/.showeq then it is and will casue a problem since I personly do a lot of moving around in the Terminal area..

Secound I do not like to have the filters in the /root Directory, I would rather have them in a sub folder or some other point where that is all that is in there.. soo any way to fix this.

My suggestion would be point the request in the XML area..

They are in a sub-directory called filters under either $HOME/.showeq or /usr/local/share/showeq. The locations under which the XML config files are saved. This has all been announced and documented previously, see CVS commit and tarball of ShowEQ 5 Beta 1 (http://seq.sourceforge.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4385). ALL user data can occur under the $HOME/.showeq directory and its sub-directories. Whether it be your config file, your maps, your filters, your logs, what have you.

Enjoy,
Zaphod (dohpaZ)