PDA

View Full Version : RH 9.0 - That's Not The Correct Red Hat Linux CDROM - Help Please

Hobo
12-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Forgive me if this isn't the right forum. I know it's a Linux query and not a ShowEQ quesry, but you guys are usually my best resource of quick information. Thanks!

Just got RH 9.0 last night and started installing it this morning. I did a custom install and chose "everything". My HDD is 20gb. It starts the install just fine and I eventually get a message that says to install disk 2. I put disk 2 in and I get an error message that says "That's not the correct Red Hat Linux CDROM".

I've tried every disk in that came with the package thinking one might be labeled wrong. Same problem. I did a search on the web and found that there is apparently a problem with RH 9 disk 1, that causes it to reject disk 2 and 3. So I went to the RH site figuring I could DL a new disk one and burn it to a cd (on my Win XP machine) and try again. I clicked on the download button which takes me to this page:

http://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/9/en/iso/i386/

I tried downloading both the SRPMS disk one and the i386 disk one and by clicking on the link. (Wasn't sure exactly which one I needed. Probably the i386.) Anyway, click on the link and I get a "page cannot be displayed" error. So I right click on the link and do a "Save Target As" and I get a login in permission denied message.

So I'm a little stuck here. Can anyone help me out?

Specifically is there a work around to the "That's not the correct RD Linus CDROM" message? If not, can someone tell me how I can DL a copy of a new disk one? If I have to DL an iso file do I just burn that file to a disk and I'm gtg, or do I need to somehow convert the iso file to something else before I burn it?

Thanks again!

Hobo

Dedpoet
12-20-2003, 01:28 PM
The login error you were getting was very possibly because the server was full. You are doing the right thing though. Get that ISO image saved to your hard drive somewhere and then use your favorite burning software to burn the ISO file. Keep in mind that with most software you need to pick an option called something like "Burn CD from image" or "Burn CD from ISO file." Do not just burn the ISO file straight onto the CD - that gives you a CD with an ISO file on it. You want what's contained in that file to go to the disc, and there should be a menu pick to do that. In Nero, it's File -> Burn Image.

Edit: You can try one of the Redhat mirror (http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html) sites too if you can't get it from the main site. As a hint, I usually find the .gov sites to be fastest and least crowded.

Hobo
12-20-2003, 07:48 PM
Hey thanks for the help. I appreciate it a lot. Going to try the burn now and see if it makes a difference.

Hobo

Hobo
12-23-2003, 10:43 PM
FWIW, in case anyone else runs into this problem. Turns out the problem was that BOTH disk 2 and disk 3 were bad. Once I DL's the iso's for the RH site the install went off without a hitch. Kinda pisses me off since I bought the retail version and with a little more effort I could have just DL'd the whole thing for free and not had these problems. (Which is what I'll be doing from now on.) Oh well, live and learn.