PDA

View Full Version : Missing QT-Devel. Can't find install instructions.

Jaxian
12-22-2003, 11:18 PM
I unfortunately did not have enough HDD space to do a complete install of RH9 today when I upgraded and had to leave some things out. I tried to pick all the development related stuff from the Custom option and thought I had. I get that same error message about needing to check my QT-devel. In searching the message board I found a post by Zaphod saying how to check if QT-devel is installed and ran that. As I surmised from all the posts, I didn't have QT-devel installed. I entered "install QT-devel" and "how to install QT-devel" in the search engine and have seen many people talking about installing it, and saying that I can add it after having finished my RH9 install, but no actual info on How to install QT-devel.

I also checked both Trolltech and Redhat's FAQ and message board areas but they also have many articles on people having problems and then solving them by just installing the QT-devel items. No one mentions how exactly to do this there either.

Trolltech's website has the 3.3.01b version of QT but I was noticing from reading all the message posts I found while searching that your QT version must match your QT-devel version. I would like to just be able to pull whatever version is on my RH9 discs off and use that so it matches. Getting it from scratch takes about 10 hours to compile on my old machine so being able to just get what I already have on the RH 9 cd's would be a great time saver.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. My guess is no one mentions how to do the actual install because it is so simple. I am an admitted programming newb although have been using Linux for a few years in a very basic capacity. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Cryonic
12-23-2003, 12:55 AM
man rpm

Jaxian
12-23-2003, 02:43 AM
A little cryptic but I read the manual and think I know what to do. The command line instruction should be:

rpm -i (filename)

Still not sure what the QT.devel package's filename is or where to find it, online, on cd, or still compressed but already on the hard drive. I will start looking now. Thanks for giving me a direction to start hunting around.